Cell Phones??

sweby727

Reaction score
I know you get a lot of these on here and I apologize.

I am doing a semester project for my human factors class and my group's job is to design a cell phone for the deaf and hard of hearing.

The cell phone we are working on has the following features:
-lights up, vibrates, and rings when a call comes in (one or all options can be turned off)
-big screen on the front of the phone with a regular 1-9 telephone keypad
-front slides up to display a small sized regular keyboard
-displays scrolling text of what the person on the other end is saying (this option can be turned off)
-displays a virtual talking head that makes it possible to lip-read (this option can be turned off)
-option to input user hearing capabilities and the phone will optimize sound so that the user can hear better
-quick text available

the phone will work as a normal cell phone for a normal hearing person
the phone will optimize sound for a hard of hearing person
and the phone displays text and a talking head for a deaf person

the user can speak with their voice or type what they wish to say

What I am looking for:
1. Is there anything you see from the design that you know won't work?
2. Is there anything you might need that we don't have?
3. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance. Any input will be taken into consideration and greatly appreciated.

What do we need ?

Answer:

Convert from Voice to Text as well as
Convert from Text to Voice

(without having to go thru Relay etc)

What do we need ?

Answer:

Convert from Voice to Text as well as
Convert from Text to Voice

(without having to go thru Relay etc)

OOOOH...wouldnt that be awesome? It will open up a lot of job opportunities for deaf people like for ex, telecommunications, receptionist (for answering phones) and many more!

thanks, we have incorporated that into our design
are there any more suggestions or comments?

Wouldnt it be fun if we could use the blue tooth technology, to relay incoming calls to a keychain, or a watch?

I think one of the biggest problems I find is that you cant always have your cell phone sitting in front of you. So it would be nice to be able to have your cell phone use blue tooth to maybe light up your watch, or keychain to let you know you have an incoming call.

That way, you dont have to feel like you have to have your cell phone in your pocket every second.

I know that they are doing this right now for some cell phones, they make special keychains, that will light up when you get an incoming call, and they have watches now that will vibrate or light up and tell you that you have an incoming call and tell you who is calling.

I just think it would be neat because I will try to call my girlfriend or something, and maybe shes at work, where she cant have her cell phone on her all the time, but if she has a watch that will let her know her phone is ringing I wouldnt have to try to call a million times until I call her when shes around her phone.

And I guess of course, the dream phone, would be one that used that new computer software that turns speech into signlanguage, and can turn signlanguge into speech. totally breaking down that communication barrier allowing anyone to have the ability to flawlessly and easily talk to anyone, no matter the situation.

awesome idea, we decided to incorporate bluetooth into our design, but I never thought of using it in those ways... particularly with the watch

Thanks for that idea!! Everything helps!

if only this phone really existed.

Also, i dont know if it would even be of any use with all the other features.

But for the deaf community a phone with AIM or some sort of messaging system is essential, as well ask how the Side kick integrated a built in IP Relay service into the phone.

My phone is the PPC 6700, and it has a touch screen.

It really comes in handy because you can just write things directly on the screen so you dont have to take the time to slide out the keyboard, you can write messages to each other directly on the screen.

you guys have been great! I appreciate your input. Our group has presented out prototype with some of your ideas and we received great feedback from the instructor, so again thanks for taking the time to help!

Anything with a keyboard that doesn't break or wear out easily, a good vibrator, a clear display, and something that lights up for anything... would be perfect.

That's what my Sidekick II does for me. :thumb:

-displays a virtual talking head that makes it possible to lip-read (this option can be turned off)

Ah, that worked wonders for me!! Voice Call! I simply love my new phone because of this feature, It's stunningly awesome!!

Everyone finds it so convenient to talk to me, simply because I can lip read them!!

Wow!! I'm in awe of this new technology!

Kashveera

I'd rather have captioning text than a "talking head." I mean, even lipreading isn't perfect -- so why bother lipreading when you can read every exact word off the phone?

I love SK3 but too late to get Treo 650 and stuck with 2 years contract.

Prefer sk2 or sk3 over any cell phone, absolutely!

I have a deaf friend who uses her family share using cell phone and only can text but pay for it once it over-excess its limit. She plans to buy herself a SK3 asap and dump her cell phone.

Same for the voice, I believe. It's so expensive... it's just a no-brainer to own a sk since it provides unlimited text, email, aim, etc - all for $30 mo... no more than that, amen!

Poor hearies have to pay more than that... average $100-200 per month... ouch!

So it's good enough we deafies need. Few types out there are as great like Treo 650 or 750 and blackberry. I would love to have a Treo 650/750 but it costs bit more.

It is pretty much why Sidekick rules (for the deaf).

Ye, it would be nicer to have a cool feature with a voice-text converter. Maybe someday?

I wonder do we have a feature to set it as an alarm to beep (shake) to wake up from a nap? I believe there must be a way.

Back