Cell phones for your school age kids....

Have you looked for that kind of phone lately? They seem to be getting harder & harder to find.

Yup, smartphones are getting more popular now.

I got my kids cell phones (basic ones) 2 years ago, they were 10 and 12. We have unlimited texts and only 700 shared minutes. We have never ever come even close to 700 minutes. they know they are supposed to text, and only talk on it rarely. I got them for them because I can't talk on a phone anymore. Got to text me. Also my son was old enough that now they could go straight home from school, didn't have to go to my MIL until me and my husband got off from work. Just the other day though I got them new ones for Christmas, we had updates available for them. It took me 2 weeks to decide which ones to get. See the basic phones all cost about $50, but there were quite a few free upgrades for smart phones, including the iphone4's, which my daighter has been begging for. I worried a bit over the bigger bill, but they have share everything plns now so we'd get unlimited talk, text and share our data. I only got 4gb, I use hardly any data. I'm deaf, I don't stream music or videos lol. I'm going to tell them not to either, one has an ipod touch and the other has a tablet, they can use those to those things with. They were really good about not talking on their phones and using up the minutes I think I can trust them not suck up the data. Plus now I'll it will be even more painful if I take them away as punishment for something.

Now they have nicer phones than me :(
Oh and no kids are not allowed to use their phones at school, if anyone sees them with them, not even using them but just that they even have them they are confiscated. The nurse at the school did let me daughter text me though once, because I couldn't understand a damn thing the woman was saying to me on the phone.

My 12 yr old kid has been begging me to get him a cellphone for some time now. At first I flat out told him no because of his responsibilities that he didn't adhere to. For the past semester, he was able to keep his grades satisfactory and he earned the privilege to get his cellphone. You could imagine he was thrilled about it and I warned him that if he doesn't adhere to his responsibilities, it will be confiscated. *facepalm* ha, he was like aw mom! lol

The nice thing about this is that our plans are 2 in 1 and voice-barred since we're both deaf. Saves a lot of money on that as well. It has made things a lot easier on both of us since he's involved in extracirrcular activites after school. The schedule tends to change and we keep each other informed. He knows not to use it all the time, only when it is necessary. At school, the cellphones are banned inside the classrooms. So, all students are required to put their phones (and to sign in) in the phone drop-in box. At the end of the day, the students gets to pick up their phone and to sign it out to prevent thefts and such.

In Alabama, the cellphones and pagers are strictly banned under state law for rest of school hours, even lunch break too so it only apply to K-12 education.

For many states, it is banned to use in the class, but during break and lunch break, so don't care.

Have you looked for that kind of phone lately? They seem to be getting harder & harder to find.
My husband has that kind of phone. My neighbor has an even simpler one.

My kids had basic ones, Samsung Intensity II's, actually we all did at first. i could have upgraded to the Intensity III, but they were $50 each plus the $30 upgrade fee, so new ones of those would have cost $160 plus tax. The iphone 4's were a free upgrade, just had to pay the $30 upgrade fee, so I got 2 iphones for $65. They're really pushing the smart phones, there were lots of free upgrades for smart phones.

Ambrosia..I have had the Iphone 4 for about six months. I am just now learning that Siri actually talks. I can't hear her but my hubby has had a few really good laughs over what she has said. I really like the app where I can just say "how do I get home" and a map shows up. Haven't needed it since I have been laid up but it is nice to know it is there. I really like this phone so good luck with yours.

Ambrosia..I have had the Iphone 4 for about six months. I am just now learning that Siri actually talks. I can't hear her but my hubby has had a few really good laughs over what she has said. I really like the app where I can just say "how do I get home" and a map shows up. Haven't needed it since I have been laid up but it is nice to know it is there. I really like this phone so good luck with yours.
That's funny!!! I probably wouldn't know either hahaha
those are for my kiddos, I'm still going to have my droid global :( I was so annoyed!! I had to wait til 12/08/12 to cancel my husbands phone from my plan, or I'd have had to pay a early cancellation fee. it was cheaper to to just pay the extra $10 a month for awhile. Anyway, he upgraded his phone last may, but they used my upgrade to do it, so I don't have one available for my phone til next October. I wanted them to transfer the upgrade to from his phone to mine since he was the one who upgraded not me (I inherited my Droid from my mom in Aug) they wouldn't do it though. I wanted to get a Galaxy Note when I got my tax return ;) going to have to wait a little longer, maybe it will be cheaper by then. Even at the upgrade discount rate it's $300!!
But yep, my kids are going to have nicer phones than me lol

In Alabama, the cellphones and pagers are strictly banned under state law for rest of school hours, even lunch break too so it only apply to K-12 education.

For many states, it is banned to use in the class, but during break and lunch break, so don't care.

The agency where I now work bans employees from even having a phone in certain areas. If you work in those divisions, you can't bring a phone into the building. If you had a family emergency, they'd never be able to reach you. You can't give out work emails or work phone numbers...unreal. Children should be allowed phones depending on maturity for family emgencies and keeping parents informed where they are, but if they're using them during class - time to take it back.

Laura

The agency where I now work bans employees from even having a phone in certain areas. If you work in those divisions, you can't bring a phone into the building. If you had a family emergency, they'd never be able to reach you. You can't give out work emails or work phone numbers...unreal. Children should be allowed phones depending on maturity for family emgencies and keeping parents informed where they are, but if they're using them during class - time to take it back.

Laura

I found out that information that where I posted is outdated today because our state legislature already repealed the cellphone ban several years ago, but in 1980's, the state legislature passed the cellphone ban at public school as used for measurement to tackle on drugs problem, however it is ineffective and obsolete.

Now, the cellphone policies are all up to school districts.

I don't remember when I got my first cell phone (I think I was 16), but my younger siblings have them. My half brother got one when he was 11 or 12, because he was dropped off at my dad's house after school, and they don't have a land line. So he was home alone for at least an hour, with no way to call anyone if something happened. So his mom got him a cell phone, and as far as I know, there's never been a problem. My sister didn't have any interest in a cell phone. She was perfectly happy using our mom's. But she got one for her 16th birthday regardless, lol. It's not a smart phone, though I think it does have a built in camera. I like that she has her own phone because I can call her without having to call mom first, and she likes that she can text her friends, and mom likes that she's easier to get a hold of if she goes to the movies, or spends the night at a friend's house. But during the school day, all cell phones have to stay in the students' lockers. I think they can check them in between classes, but if a teacher sees one out during class, it is confiscated until the end of the day.

Basically, I think if the kid is responsible, and if the circumstances require it, there's no reason for a kid to not have a cell phone. Land lines are becoming less common, and I can't remember that last time I saw a payphone, let alone used one.

I think I was about 45 years old when our family got its first basic cell phone (Motorola clamshell) for Hubby's business use. I didn't get my first smart phone until I was in my 50's. How ever did I survive? :lol:

I think I was about 45 years old when our family got its first basic cell phone (Motorola clamshell) for Hubby's business use. I didn't get my first smart phone until I was in my 50's. How ever did I survive? :lol:

I was able to find something that makes me think it was January 2001 when I got my first cell phone (a Nokia 918 analog bar phone from Tracfone) which would have been early in the year I later turned 59. That is when I was so glad to first find a way to use a cell by getting the Krown PVCO. I did just find a site that still has a photo of this old device: Krown Manufacturing*K-PVCO - TWAcomm.com

Then analog cell service ended. I thought I had found the answer in the PocketComm also by Krown. But. . . it has proved much less sturdy than a cell phone although I find it works well when in good condition. I have gotten tired of spending about $100 for repair or replacement yearly when during that time I have had NO repairs to a cell phone carried in another compartment of the same pouch in my purse. It has been discontinued quite some time; probably because of what I found. I did find a site with a photo still up: PocketComm Portable TTY - Assistive Technology News - Axistive.com - PocketComm Portable TTY - Assistive Technologies and Assistive Devices for people with a disability

Last year I (2011) got my first "smartphone" with the idea of using the browser in it with Web CapTel (the part that would be on the computer if calling from home) and my old dumb (LG 3280) to talk into to the other person. This was because we didn't (and still don't) have fast enough service from AT&T for a wireless version.

Now that Wireless CapTel by Sprint has come out I am using that as it does not need service from Sprint. It will work with any phone that has the Android OS at 2.2 or higher and cell service that is at least 3G. I am on PagePlus that uses Verizon towers.

Because of the bone disease that's inherited genetically in my family, my children will have cell phones on them at all times. I'd hate for them to be out with a friend, break a bone, and not be able to get a hold of me.

Well, it depends on each child with cellphones. Like most of you said they have more responsibility to take care and adhere the rules the parents impose upon them.
I had to get one for my 11 year old son who is now 21 years old because of his heavy Little League practices and games. I put his and his older brother who is 10 years older than his baby brother because he was using our car cellphones on "Track your kid" (something to the effect) via Sprint. I could see where they were if they didn't answer my texts. I remembered once my oldest son took my car after he dropped us off at my friends' house in other city. I texted him to come and get us but no answer. I was so pissed. I borrowed my friend's laptop to sign in Sprint to track him. I texted and cussed him out "What the hell are you doing in so so town?!?!?!?" He was 2 hours drive from us!!!! He was shocked and asked how in the hell did I know. Later I showed him. He was like :jaw: :giggle:

Back