Cell phone with built in TTY?

wilykat

Reaction score
Is there such thing as cell phone with built in TTY? I'm considering replacing my old phone and I could get any regular phone but to carry a separate TTY seems redundant if there can be one built in cell phone.

Hi I live in Canada. I have an amplified phone, but still conversation isn't heard properly. Is there a relay service I can use, via computer, with this phone for online relay?

or for voice mail to be converted to text mail. Nexttalk is American and not up and running. So what can I do? Thanks.

Thats EVEN much worse! No way that is going to happen. Know why? Computer can't recongize different accents. Those speech to text software REQUIRES input from a user to recognize their voice before able to use them and they are NOT even close to 100% accurate. No two person speaks exact same sounds, that is the problem.

I'm sorry but there isn't much out there for TTY, the TTY technology has been long outdated already. Believe it or not, TTY technology has not change much since the invention back in mid 60's.

Solution? AIM, Skype, other Instant message, text and so on. They are better than TTY anyway.

or for voice mail to be converted to text mail. So what can I do? Thanks.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

We have both IP and IM based relay in Canada now :)

Thats EVEN much worse! No way that is going to happen. Know why? Computer can't recongize different accents. Those speech to text software REQUIRES input from a user to recognize their voice before able to use them and they are NOT even close to 100% accurate. No two person speaks exact same sounds, that is the problem.

I'm sorry but there isn't much out there for TTY, the TTY technology has been long outdated already. Believe it or not, TTY technology has not change much since the invention back in mid 60's.

Solution? AIM, Skype, other Instant message, text and so on. They are better than TTY anyway.

Care to tell eBay that? I had an issue that required contact with eBay, and the only way I could contact is direct via phone. I didn't have TTY, and when I had my mother call them, they said they couldn't do anything because her name isn't on my account, and that I'd have to add her name. Guess what? I need to call them to add my Mom's name to my account, which I can't do because they don't take cell phone text, instant messaging, or other means that doesn't involve spending $200 to get TTY that works with my cell phone. (no land line here)

I really wished they still left in the request to contact eBay via email but I guess they got too many bot messing up or too many idiot customer who contacted eBay every 5 minute because eBay hadn't responded yet. :/

I wanted to add why I didn't have land line or working TTY, TTY requires someone to be at the other end of the line (either direct to another TTY or via relay) and rarely works on cell phone or some wireless phone. If my car broke down for example, public pay phone is becoming scare as more people uses cell instead of phone booth.

Cell phone with text messaging does not require the other end to be awake, by phone, or even have phone on. So it was easier for me to just send a few message if I needed help.

Sorry that your on catch 22.

Remember, Ebay deals with scammers and fraudster millions of times, what do you expect them to think?

Complain to your government not us.

Care to tell eBay that? I had an issue that required contact with eBay, and the only way I could contact is direct via phone. I didn't have TTY, and when I had my mother call them, they said they couldn't do anything because her name isn't on my account, and that I'd have to add her name. Guess what? I need to call them to add my Mom's name to my account, which I can't do because they don't take cell phone text, instant messaging, or other means that doesn't involve spending $200 to get TTY that works with my cell phone. (no land line here)

I really wished they still left in the request to contact eBay via email but I guess they got too many bot messing up or too many idiot customer who contacted eBay every 5 minute because eBay hadn't responded yet. :/

Not that I know of, all you need is portable TTY with adapter to cellphone to make the call. It was short-time cool that we could do on road where no data but roam coverage.

Spread awareness

I hate seeing people go through this trouble and let me get this out of the way, I do work for a company that can solve this issue.

I am not trying to put an add out there but we have a technology that allows cell phone users to text to landline numbers and 1-800 numbers. We're actually trying to sell to larger companies like eBay that will allow all people to text them so they don't even need TTY equipment on either side.

AAA - yes, you are on the highway and you wan't to call someone like AAA but they don't even have TTY in Washington state published and don't have texting....that is what I'm trying to help fix.

If I have TTY call to make, I use Netalk.net. It still works but only for TTY to TTY calls. Relay calls from there won't work anymore due to FCC problems.

Text messaging... :D
You can't text to IRS, your health insurance provider or other places (mostly businesses) that have TTY numbers (no text numbers provided). If one doesn't have a TTY number, use VRS or IPRelay to contact it via mobile.

You can't text to IRS, your health insurance provider or other places (mostly businesses) that have TTY numbers (no text numbers provided). If one doesn't have a TTY number, use VRS or IPRelay to contact it via mobile.

I know I have a TTY! :P I was being a smart a$$. :P

Lawsuit Alleges EBay Violates Disabilities Laws - Digits - WSJ

They should add the new system and send code/password by text number to verify.

Google's system have one like that already and works friendly for Deaf.

Back