Cel Phones hurts the Deaf Culture

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
PHP:
Like many groups united by distinct traits, the deaf have long had their own culture, centered around local deaf clubs, where the hearing-impaired could meet and participate in community events. Now, according to an article in the Orlando Sentinel, deaf culture is in danger of being wiped out by some of the very technologies that have made it easier for the deaf to participate in mainstream life: email and text messaging — not to mention closed-caption TV. “Lost to the new technologies of e-mail and text-messaging are the emotions and inflections of deaf communication,” the Sentinel article states. While the same argument could be made about the hearing, the deaf already face isolation, and advocates are exploring ways to keep them together as a community, while recognizing the double-edged sword presented by new technologies.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000467029444/

In my humble opinion, no mattter what's the technology, deaf culture will never vanish. :roll:

geez i have to agree with you and that the most bull craps i have heard of...

I rather have cell phone than have no cell phones. In fact, those does give some advantages to deafies such as emergencies (like if car break down) or talk to friend (long distance) who you has not talk in long time.

For one, I hate to write LETTERS yet I rather use email to send letter than writing...

It looks to me like someone drew the short straw in an editorial assignment meeting and the winner/looser was at a loss to understand how modern communication methods aid the hearing impared. Perhaps someone from the deaf community or an advocacy group will send them a reasonable rebuttle to their ill thought out logic. Heck, that is like saying that black culture will end because blacks are appearing in more and more tv shows, movies, and in politics and management positions. I would think that if anything, technology is a boon for the deaf community. But I am late deafened, so what do I know.

I can some what agree with what you're saying. Being no true written form of ASL It is difficult to portray the language on a pager. But they are a key factor to the Deaf culture now, as the TTY was before, is now becoming absolete. I personally work at a Deaf school and have found that pagers can be a wonderful thing. If I need to get in contact with someone, I can find them through the use of a pager. I can ask someone a quick question. I do not agree with the fact that it will completely wipe out Deaf culture. I doubt that will ever happen. If anything the culture is growing and becoming stronger and more united through the use of pagers and email.

Back