CC or Subtitles?

What do you watch with?

• Closed Captions (Speech and Sounds, usually on black background)

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • English Subtitles

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Hi all, im curious, given the choice, do you watch subtitles (spoken word only) or Closed Captions (spoken word and sounds, usually with a black background)?
Why?

Thanks!
*EQL*

CC on television as that is what I mostly watch.

But on DVD , SDH is way better, it is like CC but bigger clearer writing, and is at the bottom.

I couldn't vote because the selection for "either" is not one of the choices.

I think there's a lot of confusion on the difference between the two. Some might think that the white text in front of a black background makes it "Closed captioned" and just white or yellow text makes it "Subtitles". This really isn't the difference though. The difference between them, by definition, is the way it was placed on the screen. Closed captions are broadcasts with the video. Subtitles are a separate file then the video (Such as a DVD, Bluray, etc...)

For example I use subtitles on some of the videos I watch on line. In the player (Windows media player, VLP player, etc...) You can adjust the look of the subtitles including changing the font style, text color, with or without a black background and so forth.

If you're referring to the fact that closed captioning usually also includes "Sounds" that are heard as well as the words spoken. Well subtitles to that too. It's the difference between "Subtitled" and "Subtitled for the hearing impaired" that you'll read on the color of DVD's. That usually means the subtitles will also include sounds such as [Door closes] and [Dog bars].

So for me it doesn't matter as long as I can read what's being said and when "Sounds" are added to the subtitles or closed captioning then that's even better.

Ron Jaxon

I prefer CC as I like to read with words and at the same time the sound words would tell me what the noises is making in the program. Subtitles are okay but does not provide sounds at all, so that was not helpful at all. CC is the best, even sometime not perfect. :hmm:

I prefer CC as I like to read with words and at the same time the sound words would tell me what the noises is making in the program. Subtitles are okay but does not provide sounds at all, so that was not helpful at all. CC is the best, even sometime not perfect. :hmm:

SDH does provide all the sounds and noises. It is especially for Deaf and HOH.:wave:

I would just be happy if they wouldn't be popping up in the middle of faces like sometimes happen. My husband get WS movies so caption stay below movie on black band at bottom.

Last week, I learned that Blu-Ray has two differnent Sublet (english and english 2) at my son's roommate in apt (near to his college). I saw Sony PS3 Playstation and few movies on the TV table. I looked at Blu Ray jewel box but not see any CC or SHD.

I told his roomate that I never like Sublet English without CC. They always show CC on bottom center (no left or right CC) cause me confuse which people talk or background talk.

I asked him to test Blu-Ray (movie) on his Sony PS3 playstation. His first time to use sublet for me. We learned two differnent type of english and english 2.

Oh I see.... English 2 is great for as CC for deaf. That's kind like SHD.

I prefer open caption on movies- it comes up much more timely. If the hardware decoder is malfunctioning, then what ? with open caption, the words are burned into the screen and no specail equipment is needed.

Like I said before. Both CC and Subtitles add the sounds. Some CC and some subtitles don't. But the addition or absence of the sounds are not the difference between the two. That's just a difference in the quality of the caption or subtitle text. Well made of either will include those sounds or if they where intended for "The hearing impaired" (Those are the words they use).

But you'd be right in that most CC does include these sounds because they where made to be broadcasts on major networks and paid professionals make them. Which means they know to include those sounds. They'd get complaints if their CC isn't satisfactory. But we all know when they are less professionally made. We see CC and Subtitle mistakes all the time. :)

Ron

Back