CC or Subtitles

Philphoto5390

Reaction score
I read so many people wonder why the rental movies (stream) don't carry the closed captions like in Netflex, Amazon Instant Video, HULU, VULU HD on PS3 or DVD or Bu-ray players which have carried feature in. I understand how their frustration about that. I knew most DVD and Blu-ray have subtitles instead CC. Look at menu click on set up and click on language then click on English. Very simple! It almost same like as CC. I use that most of time because CC are not work well on HDTV. Unless have up-convertor box have that. That is. I remember Netflex don't carries and now they are carry. But other didn't get follow up yet

That's nothing new. You should read FCC's new law which will require all streaming videos as well as internet news video to be captioned starting in 2014. The link is somewhere in this category.

For example, DVD/BD players must include a built-in CC decoder in order for HDMI to carry CC that overlays on the source from the players.
And also national news such as CNN, MNBC, ABC, etc which show captioned news on TV must show the video with captions in their websites as well.
One more thing, any website must include captions on streaming TV shows if those shows were captioned on TV. I hope I am not confusing you.

I don't want to add another thread into the forum and would like to say something. See every week I watch Duets on Global with CC or subtitles whatever you want to call it. Any ways since the show started going live. they don't have spot on subtitles. It's getting rather annoying. Like in tonights show i was reading it then they took it off and replaced it. I can't remember what they were saying but i saw that problem. I understand it's a singing competion but half the time they say Jay Rome and another time they put something else as the contestants name. I'm just wondering if anyone else has that problem. I want to watch more in CC but my mom won't let me since it distracts her and yet shes HOH as well.

Live show captioning has always been problematic, in my experience. News shows are often horrible, for example. I once emailed and complained to my favorite news station and I found out a few interesting things. The professional captioners were not even located in the studio where the news show was being broadcast! :shock: Instead, it was a captioning service company, separate from and contracted by the news station/network. The captioners were in a separate building watching a live feed of the show, and captioning it! Their captioning was hooked to the station and broadcast automatically, without proof reading or anything like prepared captions made for movies and TV series. Since the captioning was saved with the show, the station asked me to watch a 1/2 hour news show and note all the mistakes my husband & I saw, so they could check the saved copy. There were many mistakes! :roll: The station said some had to do with transmission through the satellite to me, but that many of the mistakes we noted were due to a careless captioner. Who was fired as a result of complaints such as mine. :eek3: So, I'm not surprised at the problems with live show captioning. All depends on the quality of the captioning service the show/network uses... I've even noted from one CART captioner to another at meetings, that some are really poor and some really good in terms of their typing skills from what they are hearing live, right in the same room. So, it's a tough situation, to type fast enough to be of use and still try to type accurately...requires a LOT of skill. :hmm:

In our house captoning is *always* on for me. DH is fully hearing, but has no issues with it being on. There is simply no way for me to enjoy watching a show or movie with him if I can't understand what the heck is being said. A total waste of my time to even sit there with him. :( He respects me enough to not feel put out about it. And he wants to share with me what is being watched. So, it makes no sense to him to resent the CC being on or to resist having it on. In fact sometimes, with the way loud background sounds often mask softly spoken dialog in recently made movies, he likes having the captioning as backup now & again, LOL! :P And as for guests coming over and watching a movie with us, they adapt or don't come back to watch movies with us. :naughty:

Another thing it is easy to forget about live news shows etc. is that the captioner can't type anything until it is said. Thus, it always follows what is spoken by a few seconds at least.

Wirelessly posted

Jane B. said:
Another thing it is easy to forget about live news shows etc. is that the captioner can't type anything until it is said. Thus, it always follows what is spoken by a few seconds at least.

Yes. always. Even w/ in person CART. Plus the transmission time back to TV station from the captioner location. Does not excuse gross inaccruracies, whole phrases left out, etc. It's requires high skill levels both in attentive hearing, plus fast accurate typing as well. All the technology in the world is useless without a highly skilled captioner for live shows, though. :hmm:

I can't watch anything without captions/subtitles; I just wouldn't be able to follow the story. DVDs with subtitles are the best bet though as I find caption to be more hit or miss, especially on TV. When they work, they're great, but most of the times - it's typed either before someone says something, or well after it's been spoken. I've had a couple of experiences trying to watch a channel and I found the captions so off the wall and vulgar, it was as if two 12 years old were having a laugh at the viewers expense. I called the cable company to complain and fortunately that hasn't happened again. I don't think captioning is taken seriously enough.

If they have captioners they need to have good typing skills. I wish I could use CC more often. I often forget to put the CC on when watching a dvd. As it distracts me from watching the actual scene. But sometimes its a good tool to have. I want to watch more in cc. And I'm aplauled(srry dont know how to spell it) to hear what GrayEagle say that the captioners are not even in the same building. If I had been doing this in My pop.culture class with the cc i could of asked my teacher how i could adress this to the CTRC or the Canadian equilvent of broadcasting standards.

my CC/subtitles are always "on" on my tv. I can't understand anything without the CC/subtitles. The CC/subtitles don't normally show for commercials, as commercials aren't normally that important. But for TV news station they're always so slow and it's always and have been a problem.

I was watching one of my favorite movies that they were showing on a channel one time, called the Last Song, and they messed up all of the captioning! :roll:

I know most captioners are trying to do their job as best as they could, but I wish they would give the captioners like a prepared script for them to type in! I've been to a news station in middle school, and they have a screen script for the anchors to read off of and i'm thinking, If they have a script why can't they send the script to the captioners and make it perfect!? it doesn't make any sense to me sometimes. Sometimes i think the news station are just too lazy to make a phone call or something to help out the deaf community.

I always have captions on. Unable to follow anything on TV or movies without it.

On DVD's I prefer captions over subtitles, because it seems to have more information. For example, captions seem to caption song lyrics, describe sounds, etc. Subtitles don't seem to include this information.

I use a transcriptionist for class, and she captions the class remotely. It reads out on a laptop screen. It's pretty horrible, actually. A friend of mine looked at it and compared it to a "rough draft of E.E. Cummings poetry." lol

I talked to another friend who went to RIT, and he said that they have two transcriptionists sitting in the classroom itself, with a specialized keyboard and they caption everything precisely. I looked at a copy of the transcript for one of his classes and it was way better than what I get in class.

But RIT/NTID transcriptions have the right equipment and they are better trained.

So far the only movie I've tried to watch on netflix that didn't have captions was Snatch, which is a British movie so maybe that's why? Granted I don't use it much so that could be why. On cable I think the HD captions are the worst!!! I've been using captions for years and years now, it coming before or after people saying something doesn't matter to me, I still get the info, and it's not distracting to me, I'm a speed reader. I don't actually read it word by word mostly I look at a sentence and know what it says. My estranged husband, even with as big a turd pile as he is, never had a problem with putting the captions on for me. Except for UFC fights :D I love UFC, but since there's a time clock in the bottom corner of the screen the captions always end up over the fighters heads, which even to me was annoying. So we would turn the captions on and off for when they fought, it would have been nice to hear the commentators, but not necessary for sure.

I'm loving they're going to have to caption stuff on the internet!!! flippin FINALLY!!!

edited to add something funny I saw in the captions for the theme song to Family Guy one night. At one point they sing "all the things that make you" and then Stewart sings "laugh and cry". Well I was watching one night and it didn't say laugh and cry, it said "effin cry", effin cry exactly that, oh I was rollin!!!

I can't stand it when CC covers up the action. It'd be nice if they do a little more work with today's technology to allow you to position the captions where you want or even shrink the picture a little so you have some blank space for them.

CC on the news can be tough to follow here with the southern accents. The stations seem to use some sort of speech to text software that isn't trained ("Awe queues clothed" could mean "All schools closed"). Also has problems with foreign names (Syria=cereal or series).

I can't stand it when CC covers up the action. It'd be nice if they do a little more work with today's technology to allow you to position the captions where you want or even shrink the picture a little so you have some blank space for them.
If you are talking about sports or news, they have to caption below or above the banner showing scores, stocks, etc. The captions are not supposed to cover those banners. I know what you mean. When I watch boxing, the captions cover boxers's faces due to the banner on the top so I turn CC off for a while. There's nothing we can do about it. I believe that many deaf viewers complained about being unable to see scores because the captions overlaid them.

Last edited:
If you are talking about sports or news, they have to caption below or above the banner showing scores, stocks, etc. The captions are not supposed to cover those banners. I know what you mean. When I watch boxing, the captions cover boxers's faces due to the banner on the top so I turn CC off for a while. There's nothing we can do about it. I believe that many deaf viewers complained about being unable to see scores because the captions overlaid them.

When people caption TV shows, they are limited to which lines on the TV screen they can use to put the captions on. Unfortunately, sometimes the lines cover people's faces or certain actions that you want to see. This is why it is beneficial to get a TV that supports widescreen so the captions will appear below the screen that's showing the action.

As for subtitles, I like it better than CC, but one thing I noticed about subtitles with older movies is that subtitles didn't show when an actor/actress played music while CC showed the fact.

When people caption TV shows, they are limited to which lines on the TV screen they can use to put the captions on. Unfortunately, sometimes the lines cover people's faces or certain actions that you want to see. This is why it is beneficial to get a TV that supports widescreen so the captions will appear below the screen that's showing the action.

I suspect that you mean at the bottom of the screen, not below the screen which is impossible unless the screen has black bars on top and bottom. Assumedly soulchill was talking about HD programs which mostly show full screen in 16:9 ratio which is widescreen, the captions are displayed below or above the news ticker or scoreboard-style display during live news or sports respectfully. (My apology for erroneously calling it banners)

BTW, do you watch the sci-fi show, "Falling Skies" on TV every Sunday? If so, did the captions cover actors' faces or actions? No, right?

ABCFamily's site is good about having CC's that work but, other people say the audio is odd.Online closed captioning is a work in progress.

it would be nice if the TV manufacturers added an option to have caption at bottom or top that is not part of the video and flatten the video a tad so there is NOTHING covering the video .

This should be easy programming of chips- but only the TV manufacturers can do it. So shall we start a petition or process to get this changed?

it would be nice if the TV manufacturers added an option to have caption at bottom or top that is not part of the video and flatten the video a tad so there is NOTHING covering the video .

This should be easy programming of chips- but only the TV manufacturers can do it. So shall we start a petition or process to get this changed?

What I find even worse is that you don't get any captions anywhere until the graphic (which varies with brand of TV) which shows which channel you are on disappears after changing channels or when it comes back if you have lost signal for a moment.

Back