CC on CC-only DVDs don't work

Lectrice

Reaction score
Hello, I've been looking everywhere to try and solve this problem.

I have some DVDs that are closed-captioned only, no subtitles. They're supposed to show up automatically when you put the DVD in and have the captions already on in the TV. I have two DVDs like that and they both don't work with my TV, which isn't a flat-screen TV. I have a projector TV that I got from my parents when they upgraded to a flat-screen. When the projector TV was at my parents, I never had a problem with the CC not showing up like that on a DVD. Often we would get both the subtitles and the CC layered on the screen when we didn't realize we didn't have to turn on the subtitles because the CC was already automatic. Plus the CC is already on in the TV and shows up on the channels I get.

I don't think it's my analog to digital converter box either, because I went in there and managed to change the CCs from 'off' to 'service 1' whatever that means (It has service 1 through 6 as options), and the CC still didn't work. I still don't think it's that because I remember borrowing another CC-only DVD from my grandfather before the analog to digital changeover happened and it didn't work either. I didn't have the box within the hook ups then.

Also...I watched one of the DVDs at my friend's house (didn't get to finish it, so I tried it here at home) and it worked great. She has no converter box, and a normal TV with DVD player, no flatscreens. The captions showed up automatically for her.

I think it may be my DVCR that's blocking it. I've been looking at the manual, and it says it can read "124 LANGUAGE-SUBTITLES/-SOUNDTRACKS." I've found options where the language can be changed from English to Spanish or French, but no CC option. Under 'subtitles', the manual says to press an subtitle/atr button until it'll show up. I did this last night, but always got a stop-hand symbol, meaning it won't let me do it.

So can someone please help me with this? All of the threads I've seen across the internet always has this problem with flatscreen TVs, HDMI TVs or something like that, not my "old-style" TV.

To make it easier, I have a:
Mitsubishi Projector TV
Broksonic DVCR-810
Magnavox SDTV Tuner (converter box)

Thanks for helping!

Okay, I finally found a subtitle menu...it was already on automatic (options are automatic, off, english, spanish, french). I tried it on English too, and both didn't work.

The DVD's captioning works fine on my computer because I'm given the option to turn it on. Sigh...this is so annoying! For once, I would like to sit on the couch and watch it on my TV, not my computer!

Mitsubishi Projector: Is it front or rear projection TV?
Broksonic DVCR-810: Never heard of it. Is it a Digital Video Recorder? Does it have DVD player?
Magnavox SDTV Tuner: Are you using it because your TV is analog?

How are the cables hooked up between DVD player and TV? Are you using HDMI or component cables (3 cables)? If so, CC decoder in your TV cannot decode CC using these cables.

Do you have a SDTV tuner in between DVD player and TV? If so, the SDTV tuner might be the culprit. To make it simple, try bypassing SDTV tuner and just connect DVD player to your TV. Make sure you are not using HDMI or component cables. Try composite cable (RCA cables).

I do not quite understand your setup. Can you give detailed description of how your TV system is set up?

Peter

Okay, the TV is a rear projection TV. The Broksonic DVCR-810 is a combo dvd player and vcr. It has a dvd part on one side and a vcr on the other side. Yes, my tv is analog so I have a converter box attached.

My set up for the DVCR is: 3 way color-coded cables (red, yellow and white) into DVD/VCR OUTPUT, video is yellow, audio L is white and audio R is red. That leads to the TV's INPUT 1, video (yellow), audio L (white) and audio R (red). I do have an INPUT 2 and an TUNER MONITOR OUTPUT, both of which have the yellow/white/red cable jack holes, but I don't have anything hooked up there.

For the converter box, I have a white cable leading from the box's ANT OUT to the TV's ANT-A and a black cable leading from the box's ANT-IN to the antenna.

That's it. I do have digital and component jack holes available on the DVCR, the digital is orange, white and red color coded, while the component is colored green, blue and red. The TV has the component jack holes too.

Hope this helps make things clearer!

Okay, the TV is a rear projection TV. The Broksonic DVCR-810 is a combo dvd player and vcr. It has a dvd part on one side and a vcr on the other side. Yes, my tv is analog so I have a converter box attached.

My set up for the DVCR is: 3 way color-coded cables (red, yellow and white) into DVD/VCR OUTPUT, video is yellow, audio L is white and audio R is red. That leads to the TV's INPUT 1, video (yellow), audio L (white) and audio R (red). I do have an INPUT 2 and an TUNER MONITOR OUTPUT, both of which have the yellow/white/red cable jack holes, but I don't have anything hooked up there.

For the converter box, I have a white cable leading from the box's ANT OUT to the TV's ANT-A and a black cable leading from the box's ANT-IN to the antenna.

That's it. I do have digital and component jack holes available on the DVCR, the digital is orange, white and red color coded, while the component is colored green, blue and red. The TV has the component jack holes too.

Hope this helps make things clearer!

Your CC should work normally since you are using yellow for video.

Just an idea, does your converter box have RCA Input? If so, try plugging the DVD player into the converter and see if CC shows up on your TV.

Perhaps, it's the hookup that you're using?

CC doesn't work well with HDMI and composite hookups. It works well with RCA.

Your description of TV setup should work. I don't know why it's not working for you.

As for your converter box, try connect RCA cables (yellow, white, red) from converter box to another composite input (if available) of your TV instead of using white coaxial cable (ANT OUT of converter box). Your ANT IN connection of converter box is correct.

Good luck.

Peter

Perhaps, it's the hookup that you're using?

CC doesn't work well with HDMI and composite hookups. It works well with RCA.

Actually, RCA is composite. It's the component cables you're thinking of.

Make sure that the TV is actually set to decode captions when you are trying to play captioned DVDs. If you are using the TV with a set top box that is decoding the captions, you might have turned off the TV's caption decoding (but might not have realized that the set top box was decoding the captions). The "Service 1" setting on your digital-to-analog converter box allows you to see advanced captions that are decoded by the converter box, for example, which suggests that the captions on your TV are not turned on.

Another possibility is that your particular TV may be designed to decode captions only through the RF input and not through the other analog inputs. A few TVs have been designed like this, unfortunately. That would mean that your TV could only decode captions from DVD players if they were hooked up through the RF input, which would not provide good resolution.

Back