Caves

Did any of you go to Kartchner Caverns in Benson, Arizona? It was discovered in 1978 and was disclosed to the public in 1988. It is very hard to get tickets. My brother, who lives in Tucson, and I tried to get tickets the last time I visited him, but we were turned away. I was so disappointed because it was like 110 degree on that day and all I could think was getting into the cave.

http://www.pr.state.az.us/parkhtml/kartchner.html

Originally posted by PaxThoreau
Did any of you go to Kartchner Caverns in Benson, Arizona? It was discovered in 1978 and was disclosed to the public in 1988. It is very hard to get tickets. My brother, who lives in Tucson, and I tried to get tickets the last time I visited him, but we were turned away. I was so disappointed because it was like 110 degree on that day and all I could think was getting into the cave.

http://www.pr.state.az.us/parkhtml/kartchner.html

You mentioned it being hard to get tickets to that specific cave. Why was that? Just am wondering what was so special and popular...so popular that tickets were a rarity to grab?

Goldie

Originally posted by WaterRats13
You mentioned it being hard to get tickets to that specific cave. Why was that? Just am wondering what was so special and popular...so popular that tickets were a rarity to grab?

Goldie

Hi Goldie :D

The guys who accidentally discovered the cavern refused to reveal its location to anyone until they got the AZ State Park to agree that the pristine condition of the cavern must be preserved.

It is a living cave with the formations still forming. That is rare. Most caves are dried out. Formations are fragile and can easily get damaged if they are touched. As a precaution, limited tours are given everyday. There are other precautions also, but I can't remember what they are. Maybe the website has more info.

Originally posted by PaxThoreau
Hi Goldie :D

The guys who accidentally discovered the cavern refused to reveal its location to anyone until they got the AZ State Park to agree that the pristine condition of the cavern must be preserved.

It is a living cave with the formations still forming. That is rare. Most caves are dried out. Formations are fragile and can easily get damaged if they are touched. As a precaution, limited tours are given everyday. There are other precautions also, but I can't remember what they are. Maybe the website has more info.

Interesting...it's the same for the Buchan Caves in East Gippsland in Victoria, Australia -- although there are frequent tours -- the Government and Preservation have put up protection fences around the formations and inform people on the tour not to touch any of the formations outside the fence, etc.
It's absolutely beautiful and it's still living! ;)

Goldie

I have been in several caves in lots of different places including Tasmania, Victoria, the Nothern Territory and England. I must say they're pretty awesome, the rocks have their own flurouscent lights and it's cold and damp but still pretty cool. Mind you, some have been quite narrow and low ceiled and I've never been more glad I'm short. :P

Ziusudra

I believe I have only been to TWO caves in my entire life.
The first one was in Bodenmais at Mt. Silberberg, in the Bavarian Forest. It was an old mine and it went very deep into the mountain. It was very cold and narrow/small. The second one was the same place as Sabrina visited, Crystal Caverns in PA. I don't recall being in any other caverns. I hope when I move west, I would be able to visit some caves.

@ PaxThoreau: That cave site you talked about sounds very interesting. Hope you will have better luck to visit there next time when you go see your brother in Arizona!

Originally posted by Ziusudra
I have been in several caves in lots of different places including Tasmania, Victoria, the Nothern Territory and England. I must say they're pretty awesome, the rocks have their own flurouscent lights and it's cold and damp but still pretty cool. Mind you, some have been quite narrow and low ceiled and I've never been more glad I'm short. :P

Ziusudra

:rofl: @ Ziusudra! I'm also glad that I'm not THAT tall...am of medium height, thought...you know, Ziggy, ha!
I just don't think I'd be able to go back down a cave again because I just am too afraid of caves and the impending darkness, should the power fail during a tour! :P Once was enough.

Goldie

Almost all of the posts re: this topic talk about caves that are maintained by private or government agencies. True cave exploring is called spelunking and I imagine(cuz i've never tried it)it is fraught with danger and one would need to develop experience by going with someone who knows what theyr'e doing.
Cheleler--you asked someone why the fear a few pages back: Well, for me, the long trail descending(switchbacks)into the mouth of Carlsbad Caverns made me think I was going back INTO Mommy! LOL! Now ain't dat scary!? LOL!

Originally posted by Tousi
Almost all of the posts re: this topic talk about caves that are maintained by private or government agencies. True cave exploring is called spelunking and I imagine(cuz i've never tried it)it is fraught with danger and one would need to develop experience by going with someone who knows what theyr'e doing.
Cheleler--you asked someone why the fear a few pages back: Well, for me, the long trail descending(switchbacks)into the mouth of Carlsbad Caverns made me think I was going back INTO Mommy! LOL! Now ain't dat scary!? LOL!

True...true, Tousi. My husband has gone down an un-used mine which has been closed for a long time and not many people are aware of this one nor the location. It's called the A-1 Mine....several k's northeast of Marysville in Victoria State of Australia. About 90 minutes away from Melbourne.
Hubby's Aunt's ex-husband dug out some gold there in 1971 and we have the nugget here and Andy's eager to go back and do some gold digging, heheh! Good luck to him as I won't be going along. :P
There are quite a few famous gold mines in Ballarat/Sovereign Hill -- heaps of gold were found there during the gold rush in the late 1890- early 1900's. My mum went through one with my dad in law a couple of months ago and she said it was quite interesting. We even watched a gold pouring session...the gold block the bloke poured was worth 60k AUD! (Approximately 30k USD)
Here's a link to Sovereign Hill if any are interested in the history of Australia's Gold Rush. :) http://www.sovereignhill.com.au/flash.shtml

Goldie

Last edited:
Originally posted by Tousi

Ha ha ha! Never really thought of that. Interesting imagination you have about going back into Mommy! :rofl:

Back