cause of deafness

richiebird

Reaction score
Hi there! I was born in 1946 with nerve deafness in both ears, as was my older brother. There is no family history of this, and no kids and grandkids have this. I met a lady that said her deafness was caused by a drug given to her mother, by a doctor, when she was pregnant. I think this probably happened to my mother. Does any one know the name of this drug that caused this defect and did it cause any other defects in the body?
Thank you your help
Richard

Hi Welcome to AD and enjoy.. most women got german measles (sp) that how end up deafness.. but i'm not sure if ur mom has that.. mm'

G'day richiebird,
Welcome to AD. Hope you'll find what you came for. Hmm, it's really hard to specify which drugs causes deafness. Have you or your brother considered taking connexin 20 test to determine whether you both have recessive deaf gene or not? Worth a try. Many people became deaf from sickness, genetic and some unknown. You have to consider you might never find the answer to why you two became deaf.
Cheers! :wave:

I think you should ask your mother who can tell you how you lost your hearing. There is many things can go wrong with a development of a fetus; accident, certain drugs (prescriptions), illegal drugs, infection/disease, hereditary.

Accident: vehicle accident, falling down on the side (right side of the head or the left side of the head), kicked into the head frequently causing severe bleeding and damages of the hearing organs/nerves, falling down the stairs...

Certain prescription medications can be from:
Aminoglycosides
Aspirin overdose
Gentamicin
Certain cytotoxic medications
Frusemide
Some certain antibiotic medications

Illegal drugs (anything but some illegal drugs will make the babies worse)

Infection/disease: Alport syndrome and German Measles (early months of her pregnancy), Otosclerosis, frequently and untreated otitis media......

Hereditary: Passing down from parents, or like uncle or aunt or great-great-great grandfather.

Welcome and nice to meet you. :)

Talk to your doctor or talk to a doctor that studys medicine history.

(a pharamcist who studies the history of medicine like a historian or a curator of medicine much like you would see on the History Channel on TV. He will be able to tell you what medicine may have caused it in the appropriate era approximately early to mid 1800's to maybe early part of 1900's at the turn of the century? )

I am sure there is a website of some type on the history of medicine and you can e-mail and ask them????

Hey there-

A guy-friend of mine and his two brothers are deaf and his two sisters are hearing. The family are all hearing- no deaf history or genetic... All the brothers are deaf is because either the parent both have recessive-that causes all their boys to be deaf. That might be the problem what u have, Richard?

Hello,

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here ;)....

I'm not sure if the drug has cause your deafness while your mom was pregnant...U can always ask the doctor or your mom to find out more of what really cause you to become deaf....

I lost my hearing at the age of 5 due from illness, . you can always ask around and find out, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try..

Good luck ;)

your best bet is to talk to your mother about her pregnecies or see if you can read the rcord about when she was pregnent with you i find it a litle unlikly that she had germen measles 2 times wile pregnent. but as Miss-Delectable said you might not find out. but welcome to the board i hope you have fun.

Kateweb said:
your best bet is to talk to your mother about her pregnecies or see if you can read the rcord about when she was pregnent with you i find it a litle unlikly that she had germen measles 2 times wile pregnent. but as Miss-Delectable said you might not find out. but welcome to the board i hope you have fun.

Yeah, like I asked my mother about what caused my hearing loss (mostly in my left ear, it's deaf but one ugly sound I can hear and can't stand it and mild loss in my right ear). She told me a long tale of what happened when she was in late term of pregnancy. :eek: Two women shoved her to the ground on the sidewalk while she was waiting for the bus. They grabbed her purse and took off in Compton. Funny story was they're NOT smart, there was a few pennies in the purse while the cash was in her shoe. :D Darn! Smart lady was she. The impact that the womb hits the ground was really hard and dangerous. She thought she lost me and she rushed herself to the ER and the pregnancy was check out fine. Since there was no ultrasound that time, they only checked out by listening to a fetus' heartbeat and seein' the movements and sometimes x-rays. Not until I was born, the doctor gave her the grim news, one eardrum is lower than the other and the tests (clappin', bird sound, and ruffle sounds) showed how high I can hear. It was pretty scary for her to tell me. Well, I'm proud of myself as a HOH person though. :)

Hi richiebird :welcome: & enjoy AD. I was born with nerve deafness in both ears that may have been caused by my mother's blood type RHnegative, or she was pregnant with me exposed to my brother's measles when he was a toddler.

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf richiebird!! I hope you have been enjoying your stay on this forum, and meeting new people. Have fun posting, and welcome aboard!! Happy New Year!! :cheers:

You know how Chiropractic got started don't you?? a deaf man got an adjustment.....and got his hearing back. TRUE story- its documented.

Sometimes I think that the way a Doctor pulls a baby out with the soochers does it....who knows.. I don't. Just a thought.

Penni

Back