Cats & Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlleyCat

Reaction score
For those of you who have cats, do they just flip over themselves to get cheese? Of the 5 I have, 3 just line up right outside the refrigerator when they hear the cheese drawer opening, and I usually can't even cut it fast enough without them trying to get it out of my hand. :)

Share some of your funny pet stories. Doesn't have to be just cats :)

MY cat acts like spiderman, crazy kitty could almost fly if she wanted to...

Not cheese for my cat.

He'd go crossed eyed literally if he smelled chicken. :)
He try and paw at me to give him some meat.

He'd eat fries and pasta *smh*

one of my cats just goes crazy over food in general!
She'll eat anything, including the dog biscuits.

She likes to lick the plates & bowls clean if we don't wash up straight away...

Both cats however, go MENTAL when I change my bed sheets!
They think it's the greatest thing EVER!!

Crazy

All cute stories :)

When I change my bed sheet, my littlest one (she's the size of a kitten but she is 7) likes to jump on the bed so I pull the sheets over her so there's just a big lump in the bed :lol:

My yellow monster likes asparagus... He'll sit on the floor when he smells it out of the can and whine and whine for it. He loves it, he'll even jump up on the counter and lap up the juice from it out of the sink if we don't give it to him.

Can anyone tell me if feeding cheese to a cat is harmful or not? I used to treat my cat to cheese long ago until someone told me to stop it, I am killing it!
What's the score?

No, you're not killing your cat. Not at all.

Cats are sensitive to dairy. It causes upset stomachs. The whole idea/picture you see on TV or in books about cats lapping milk -- they're really not supposed to. So I don't do that. The cheese they get from me is so minimal it's not enough to upset their little tummies :)

Dairy is not all that good for cats and dogs - lactose intolerance can occur!

I guess a little bit is ok but just be warned... A tiny bit of cheese to a cat is like us eating like 12 donuts or something...

I worked at a vet and we had a chart about what a "human" treat can equal to us eating...

So just be aware of the treats etc you are feeding your friends - that is why there are dog & cat treats

Can anyone tell me if feeding cheese to a cat is harmful or not? I used to treat my cat to cheese long ago until someone told me to stop it, I am killing it!
What's the score?

Cats are sensitive to dairy. It causes upset stomachs. The whole idea/picture you see on TV or in books about cats lapping milk -- they're really not supposed to. So I don't do that. The cheese they get from me is so minimal it's not enough to upset their little tummies :)

Dairy is not all that good for cats and dogs - lactose intolerance can occur!

I guess a little bit is ok but just be warned... A tiny bit of cheese to a cat is like us eating like 12 donuts or something...

I worked at a vet and we had a chart about what a "human" treat can equal to us eating...

So just be aware of the treats etc you are feeding your friends - that is why there are dog & cat treats

Beo

I'll weigh in to support what's being said above. Giving dairy to a cat is probably not a good idea; especially in large quantities, but it's NOT going to kill the animal. At worst, you'll just have a really stinky, nasty litterbox to deal with.. As mentioned above, cats are very sensitive to lactose, which causes effects similiar to a human with lactose intolerance. Cheese is less offending than milk, though; especially in small quantities.

Beo

I'll weigh in to support what's being said above. Giving dairy to a cat is probably not a good idea; especially in large quantities, but it's NOT going to kill the animal. At worst, you'll just have a really stinky, nasty litterbox to deal with.. As mentioned above, cats are very sensitive to lactose, which causes effects similiar to a human with lactose intolerance. Cheese is less offending than milk, though; especially in small quantities.

What can I say? I haven't had a cat in a while, but if one adopts me, I will give it cheese just to please it. :D

I think it depends on the cats. We have had cats that did fine with milk and cheese, and some that did not.

Three dogs now. Two love milk, ice cream and cheese, but Joey won't eat any of those. I am assuming he learned by experience that these are not good for him, but can't be certain since he is a rescue.

What can I say? I haven't had a cat in a while, but if one adopts me, I will give it cheese just to please it. :D

I'll make a confession... I haven't had a cat in quite awhile, myself. However, we had cats the entire time I was growing up. Our last kitty died in 1999 at the age of 18yo.

We have dogs now. Our Tebetan Terriers used to get cheese all the time. We currently have Havenese puppies, and to my knowledge, they've never had cheese. We're REALLY trying not to introduce them to "people food", if we can help it. Our recently deceased dogs were awful beggers, and we don't want to recreate little monsters! :lol:

Beo

That's why I rarely give our cats milk. And when I do, I give them just enough to coat the bottom of the bowl.

:|
but it's NOT going to kill the animal.
I'll speak for my cats and pets, YES, it can...

especially tuna and milk....small quantities everyday, weekly, biweekly or large quantities occasionally. they build bladder stones and struvite crystals which often cause urethral obstruction. then die in 3 - 6 days. usually you're too late. it's not even funny.

working in vet field, I strongly recommend NO human food for pets. especially those were processed. those made for humans, not carnivores and even commercial kibbles. they're what human create. horrendous.

sorry I had to jump in and hijack but...

whenever I think of a funny story to share, I'll share! I'm on my break now.

I'll speak for my cats and pets, YES, it can...

especially tuna and milk....small quantities everyday, weekly, biweekly or large quantities occasionally. they build bladder stones and struvite crystals which often cause urethral obstruction. then die in 3 - 6 days. usually you're too late. it's not even funny.

working in vet field, I strongly recommend NO human food for pets. especially those were processed. those made for humans, not carnivores and even commercial kibbles. they're what human create. horrendous.

sorry I had to jump in and hijack but...

agree. I always hate it when my mom and brother feed some food to our dog.

My cat loves to drink directly from the bathtub faucet. Every time I go to bathroom in the morning, my cat gets excited, runs and hops on the edge waiting for me to turn it on. It is her new habit she's acquired since we have adopted her almost two years ago.

I agree with Freckles. We are not supposed to feed dairy products to cats. Cats don't have the enzyme, lactase to break down cow's milk. That goes for dogs, too. The reason cats love dairy products is they SMELL them. According to the published scientific articles, Cats, including lions and tigers, can't taste sweet. I believe it also applies to hyena and mongooses. Scientists suspect it could be a mutant gene.

I actually give one of my cats milk. Every morning, I have a bowl of cereal and leave just a little bit of milk on the bottom of the bowl and let one of my cats drink it. He loves that stuff. He watches me eat, waiting... waiting... for his treat.

Before anyone blasts me about the potential stomach problems for my cat, I use lactose-free milk, because I am also lactose intolerant. ;)

Before anyone blasts me about the potential stomach problems for my cat, I use lactose-free milk, because I am also lactose intolerant. ;)

I wonder it is safe for cats to drink lacetose free milk. :hmm: I did not think of that one.

I agree with freckles's post.

My three cats seem not to be crazy over cheeses as i gave them the tiny cheeses years ago. One of them lost control when he heard I open the freezer and open the bag of shrimps. :shock: yeah he's the paranoid kitty aka scary cat. He usually leaves if kids come in quietly but if the shrimps are there he would stay there and keep eyes on kids if kids don't come then he would stay there and eat shrimps. Actually I usually wait till kids leave, and i give him so he can enjoy his meal in a quiet time. I only give him once a week or two. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back