Casey Anthony convictions thrown out

How is using a combination of lip reading/sound of an interpreter supposed to be any easier for the HOH that uses English only than doing it from the original speaker?

First, I'm not oralist and I'm 100% hardcore ASL.

I know some deaf/HoH people who grew up with oral only, rely on oral interpreters to give more assist to understand about what speakers say, so allow oral interpreters to deliver the oral language at closer distance to make better to understand and ensure that they don't miss any information.
http://www.jsu.edu/depart/dss/resource-hoh/oralterp.html

Under ADA law, deaf and HoH people have right to request the interpreter in ASL, SEE or oral.

First, I'm not oralist and I'm 100% hardcore ASL.

I know some deaf/HoH people who grew up with oral only, rely on oral interpreters to give more assist to understand about what speakers say, so allow oral interpreters to deliver the oral language at closer distance to make better to understand and ensure that they don't miss any information.
Oral Interpreting

Under ADA law, deaf and HoH people have right to request the interpreter in ASL, SEE or oral.

Yes, entitled to it BUT before it is worthwhile to ask for it it needs to be something that will truly help enough.

There are some people that I can understand right away and others that I still struggle with even though I have known them for 40 or more years. You would never know where an interpreter that you don't know is going to fall.

Yes, entitled to it BUT before it is worthwhile to ask for it it needs to be something that will truly help enough.

There are some people that I can understand right away and others that I still struggle with even though I have known them for 40 or more years. You would never know where an interpreter that you don't know is going to fall.

There are some hearing people have a hard time to understand the language at court.

I have no problem with ASL interpreter and I can understand very easily, so no struggle for me.

There are some hearing people have a hard time to understand the language at court.

I have no problem with ASL interpreter and I can understand very easily, so no struggle for me.

But you need to realize that there is a struggle for some resulting in not wanting to decide the fate of another person. Thus, they ask to be excused.

But you need to realize that there is a struggle for some resulting in not wanting to decide the fate of another person. Thus, they ask to be excused.

You need to have very good reason to be excused, so being deaf and have some communication issue is not good reason to be excused since there are hearing people have a hard time to understand too, so this situation is not unique for deaf people.

I do not think being a juror is a civil right.....

Oh I see, I think it is better to discuss with ADA lawyer and they have better knowledge about interpreters for deaf jurors.

Hey Pacman! Jane B. has point, even though have oral interpreter available, but the problem with oral interpreter is that the chance of information left out though interpreter may be more than 50% which is not acceptable as compared with ASL Interpreter which could provide as much as 99% of whats heard. Please remember "As much as", meaning if top notch terp did their job at 100% and accurately translate the spoken testimonies. Good terp, maybe 80% accuracy.

However, I think everyone should at least show up and serve the summon and if they ("Bunch of professional drama providers", aka court clerk, judges, attorney, District Attorney, and so on) recognize specific person that don't fit in (Jury box), they can always excuse that person. Simple as is.

Hey Pacman! Jane B. has point, even though have oral interpreter available, but the problem with oral interpreter is that the chance of information left out though interpreter may be more than 50% which is not acceptable as compared with ASL Interpreter which could provide as much as 99% of whats heard. Please remember "As much as", meaning if top notch terp did their job at 100% and accurately translate the spoken testimonies. Good terp, maybe 80% accuracy.

However, I think everyone should at least show up and serve the summon and if they ("Bunch of professional drama providers", aka court clerk, judges, attorney, District Attorney, and so on) recognize specific person that don't fit in (Jury box), they can always excuse that person. Simple as is.

First, I'm Foxrac, it has been around since 2008.

Where you did got information about oral interpreters? I know few deaf people have a good experience with oral interpreter. They can opt in to use CART with audio.

I know you since I first met you, and your handle WAS PACMAN, right? Glad I got your attention! It worked.

Do you expect professional oral interpreters available everywhere? THe sad part is no, not really. Like all terp, there is always delay in transmitting information, not everyone have clear memory at 100%.

The point here is, it is still best to show up and if oral terp not available OR inform that they are not capable of relay information in timely fashion, then bam! excused from jury box and best of all, getting paid. Getting excuse without show up equals no pay.

First, I'm Foxrac, it has been around since 2008.

Where you did got information about oral interpreters? I know few deaf people have a good experience with oral interpreter. They can opt in to use CART with audio.

I know you since I first met you, and your handle WAS PACMAN, right? Glad I got your attention! It worked.

Do you expect professional oral interpreters available everywhere? THe sad part is no, not really. Like all terp, there is always delay in transmitting information, not everyone have clear memory at 100%.

The point here is, it is still best to show up and if oral terp not available OR inform that they are not capable of relay information in timely fashion, then bam! excused from jury box and best of all, getting paid. Getting excuse without show up equals no pay.

My start username when I joined AD was blink128, volcomskatz, Pacman then Foxrac.

I don't know, but Alabama has severe interpreter shortage, especially for ASL and I need ask university disability service about availability of oral interpreters, but I know oral interpreters are less common than ASL interpreters, even it is extremely hard to find SEE interpreters too.

I went to traffic court and ask a clerk to request the ASL interpreter, but she told me to ask a judge and I was like UGH, so went in courtroom and the judge point his finger at me and told me to come, so I gave a paper about request the interpreter because I had speeding ticket and need to appear in court to send me to traffic school, BUT... judge told me that court has extremely difficult time to find an interpreter and he decided to dismiss my ticket without court fee, so told me to follow the speed limit all time.

I got jury summon in 2010 and the clerk decided to excuse me after I requested her to find an interpreter, and I asked her why I was excused so she said I was deaf and no option to not accept the waive. I think that they may have difficult time to find an interpreter.

Last paragraph, yes, I agree about it is better to show up and if they realize that you are unfit for jury duty so they waive you.

Also, there are some lousy interpreters too. :ugh:

Back