Cart in Church Pilot Project

Would you attend Church if they offered ASL interpretation or CART

• Total voters

jgerlach

Reaction score
Last week we had a deaf person come to church. I am hearing and know enough ASL to get in trouble. However this deaf person expressed his desire to attend a church but he cannot find one that has CART. So after looking into it it seems there is a great need. in an attempt to start a pilot project to see if the church could sustain CArt in our services I am trying to get a feel for how many in our comunity would attend if we had CART offered. Any ideas on how I could get an estimate? Any advise on the matter would be helpful. would you attend a service if it offered Cart?

I actaully wrote a Seminary paper on this topic a few years ago (ie making churches/worship spaces truly accessible to those who are low vision/blind, Hoh/Deaf and have mobility challenges (wheelchairs, walkers, canes, balance etc) !!

One thing to do is contact your local ASL interpreter service - they won't supply CART, but should know who does.

The advantage of CART is that it can actually service the entire congregation as well as the HOh/Deaf individuals (provided they are comfortable using CART versus ASL interpreters). One thing worth mentioning and factoring into getting CART is that it's VERY likely that you may find that the congregation likes CART as well ... there are a LOT of HOh persons (age related) in churches who will benefit from CART, but are embarrassed to ask for assistance (or unaware things like CART even exist !!)

The disadvantage to CART is that some people (who's primary language is ASL) will struggle to understand what is being said via CART (because English is their Second or Third Language) - in this case ASL interpreters are better suited. The best thing to do is make sure that the services you are getting, are what will best suit the end users (the Hoh/Deaf individuals).

If there is no way that you are able to get CART ... one option is having everything pre-input (entire liturgy, songs, all scripture readings, the entire sermon/homily, all announcements, etc) on powerpoint (or similar) ... then have the slides displayed on a screen (either a permanent one on the wall, or a free standing kind) ... just make sure the powerpoint is in sync with the speech/song etc! Break songs up into verses, sermons into paragraphs (or less) etc ....
Using powerpoint is NOT as good as using CART and shouldn't be seen as a "cheap workaround" ... however it is better than nothing (powerpoint also it lacks flexibility, having words displayed "Real-time" which allows CART users to follow along with the congregation, "Get" the info/jokes/message etc at the same time etc)

If you do use powerpoint - avoid "flashy" fonts (use Tahoma, which is best for low vision), stick with plain text on plain background (white with bold black text, black background with yellow text etc ) ... it's meant to be easy to quickly read, not "decorative" - and while "fancying up" fonts and backgrounds etc may visually "look nicer" the functionality/usability suffers for it.

Last edited:
I actaully wrote a Seminary paper on this topic a few years ago (ie making churches/worship spaces truly accessible to those who are low vision/blind, Hoh/Deaf and have mobility challenges (wheelchairs, walkers, canes, balance etc) !!

On thing to do is contact your local ASL interpreter service - they won't supply CART, but should know who does.

The advantage of CART is that it can actually service the entire congregation as well as the HOh/Deaf individuals (provided they are comfortable using CART versus ASL interpreters). One thing worth mentioning and factoring into getting CART is that it's VERY likely that you may find that the congregation likes CART as well ... there are a LOT of HOh persons (age related) in churches who will benefit from CART, but are embarrassed to ask for assistance (or unaware things like CART even exist !!)

The disadvantage to CART is that some people (who's primary language is ASL) will struggle to understand what is being said via CART (because English is their Second or Third Language) - in this case ASL interpreters are better suited. The best thing to do is make sure that the services you are getting, are what will best suit the end users (the Hoh/Deaf individuals).

If there is no way that you are able to get CART ... one option is having everything pre-input (entire liturgy, songs, all scripture readings, the entire sermon/homily, all announcements, etc) on powerpoint (or similar) ... then have the slides displayed on a screen (either a permanent one on the wall, or a free standing kind) ... just make sure the powerpoint is in sync with the speech/song etc! Break songs up into verses, sermons into paragraphs (or less) etc ....
Using powerpoint is NOT as good as using CART and shouldn't be seen as a "cheap workaround" ... however it is better than nothing (powerpoint also it lacks flexibility, having words displayed "Real-time" which allows CART users to follow along with the congregation, "Get" the info/jokes/message etc at the same time etc)

If you do use powerpoint - avoid "flashy" fonts (use Tahoma, which is best for low vision), stick with plain text on plain background (white with bold black text, black background with yellow text etc ) ... it's meant to be easy to quickly read, not "decorative" - and while "fancying up" fonts and backgrounds etc my visually "look nice" the functionality/usability suffers for it.
Excellent suggestions.

I also wanted to add that if your church is part of a diocese, synod etc (RCC, Anglican/Episcopal, Lutheran etc) or similarly connected - consider asking the diocese/synod etc if they would help fund the cost of the CART/ASL interpreter. Also ask the church/parish board/elders etc to see if there is a way to re-work funds to make CART/ ASL interpreters something that is possible on an ongoing basis:)

One thing I would recommend highly, if you do get CART or ASL interpreters booked for each Sunday (or one Sunday a month) - make sure that you ADVERTISE IT!!!!

Post notices (with and explanation of what CART is) in the church itself

call the TV stations and see if they can advertise it free for a few months (many news/ stations have a "community notice board" that is displayed on the TV for a min or so at some point during the newscast and in ads etc).

Call local radio stations and ask if they'd be willing to do a "spot" mentioning you now have CART (with an explanation) - with an open invite for anyone wishing to come check it out.

Get in contact with any local Schools for the Deaf/Hoh, D/Hoh community groups/centres/organizations (ie CAD - Canadian Assoc. of the Deaf, has provincial and local city level "branches" as well - so contact them).

Let other churches (same denomination etc) know that you'll be having CART and ask them to mention it in their bulletin/post it on their message board etc

Get the word out - and very soon , you may find that the "new members" you get who are specifically attending because you feature CART may well be able to cover the cost of the service, and then some through collection/donations etc.

I wish my church would consider any of the things Anij suggested. They have refused and will not help at all. If I want any help for me, I have to get it myself or just either find another church or not go.

All of our songs are either in the church hymnal or on screen through power point. Once in a while the pastor will have his sermon in power point, but not often. He says it's too much work since he only gets his sermons ready either Saturday or early Sunday morning. He refuses to give me any sermon notes or anything since he says it will keep me from listening to him. "Hello - I'm deaf and can't hear you anyway." I have recently returned to the church, but am running into the same problems all over again. The couple sitting behind me write out all kinds of notes and give me a set after church. They work together. The kids get all the bible verses, and the parents write all the notes. Then they combine them all and I get them before I leave. It's better than nothing. I am the only deaf there, and there are two or three who are HOH and it would benefit them, but they will not talk to the pastor about it. It's past time for him to be replaced. 32 years in the same church when the normal is changing them out every 5-8 years.

My suggestion would be to look up your local Court Reporters Association, either state, or an agency. Court Reporters are the ones who are/would know where to find a CART provider. They may also be able to find a court reporter that belongs to a congregation already that is willing to provide services once a month.

In my diocese, there is one congregation that has an ASL mass. That means that some people have to travel for services, but it is worth it to them.

Also, if you project a powerpoint with hymn words or the sermon, it is best to use a blue background and yellow letters. That is the easiest to see from far away. White letters have a tendency to "bleed" into the background.

Thanks for all of the coments. What I really need is someone from the deaf community in my area to do this with me. That has become the hard part. i have contacted the Maine Center on Deafness. Still waiting for a call back. Hopefully they can help. Also try Baxter School for the Deaf.

Back