Captions on DVDs

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
I dunno if this has happened to others.

Last week I went to CD Exchange to get some DVDs.

I got the movie "Meteor", I made sure it had captions (It had "CC" on the back of DVD). I took it home, put it in the DVD player, and no captions. I tried Subtitles too, no English subtitles. I was pretty annoyed.

Fortunately I was able to return and exchange the DVD for another DVD.

From now on, whether I buy a DVD, it must have English SUBTITLES regardless of whether there is the "CC" symbol on the back of DVD or not. I hate wasting my money and time. At least when it does say it has English SUBTITLES you can be sure there WILL be English subtitles.

The best thing you can do first is rent the movie then see if it has CC or subtitles before you buy the movie. I am not sure how to explain it but ask the DVD store to show you how to tell what movies have something like an ISBN # code that would be on a book then when you rent the movie, check the code then when you go buy a DVD at the store make sure the piece of paper you wrote the # on matches the code then buy the movie. I am not sure how to really explain it. Maybe Alex or somebody else will be better able to explain this to you.

Yeah, probably will do that.

I really prefer CC over subtitles due to the black background that captions have. The subtitles are usually in yellow or white with no black background and often clashes with the background of the movie and as a result I have to sit closer to TV to actually be able to read it.

Hmmm... I just care about closed captioning. I am hearing, but I have to keep my deaf sweetheart in mind when buying DVDs. :) We prefer CC because they can be put anywhere on-screen and often appear next to the speaker rather than in the bottom of the screen.

Or you can do what my sweetheart is doing--learn Spanish! That way, you can buy any Spanish-subtitled DVD and watch it... :laugh2:

gnulinuxman said:
Hmmm... I just care about closed captioning. I am hearing, but I have to keep my deaf sweetheart in mind when buying DVDs. :) We prefer CC because they can be put anywhere on-screen and often appear next to the speaker rather than in the bottom of the screen.

Or you can do what my sweetheart is doing--learn Spanish! That way, you can buy any Spanish-subtitled DVD and watch it... :laugh2:

*rolls eyes*

Not all Latino/Latinas want to learn Spanish, some want to learn English. Some want to learn both English and Spanish, some remain only Spanish .... I know you were only joking Gnunlinuxman but for the Latin community it is intensely personal as once it was for Italians/Italianas and still is sometimes ..... I know some Italian and German but my language is American English.

LuciaDisturbed said:
I got the movie "Meteor", I made sure it had captions (It had "CC" on the back of DVD). I took it home, put it in the DVD player, and no captions. I tried Subtitles too, no English subtitles. I was pretty annoyed.
I wonder, how is your DVD player hooked up to the TV? Is the DVD player a new unit? If it's hooked up via the component cable route, then the captioning may not appear, especially if your DVD player is out of date or very cheaply made.

I know you returned the DVD, but the next time it happens, try playing the DVD in a modern computer. Most computers nowadays have bundled software DVD players like Cyberlink PowerDVD, and it will display closed-captioning in addition to subtitles.

Eyeth said:
I wonder, how is your DVD player hooked up to the TV? Is the DVD player a new unit? If it's hooked up via the component cable route, then the captioning may not appear, especially if your DVD player is out of date or very cheaply made.

I know you returned the DVD, but the next time it happens, try playing the DVD in a modern computer. Most computers nowadays have bundled software DVD players like Cyberlink PowerDVD, and it will display closed-captioning in addition to subtitles.

I recently bought the dvd player a couple of months ago. I use the A/V cable to hook it up to the TV.

I'll try the DVD on my pc next time--I have a dvd player and PowerDVD in my pc. But, even if I play it on my pc, I can't lay down on my bed to watch DVD on the pc cause the monitor is too far away. I know I could hook my pc up to my TV but I lack the right kind of video card that has the ability to hook up to a TV (I know how it is done, Abel does it on his pc and his TV) and I don't feel like shelling out 60+ bucks to do that.

Heath said:
Not all Latino/Latinas want to learn Spanish, some want to learn English. Some want to learn both English and Spanish, some remain only Spanish .... I know you were only joking Gnunlinuxman but for the Latin community it is intensely personal as once it was for Italians/Italianas and still is sometimes ..... I know some Italian and German but my language is American English.
I'm not Latino. I learned Spanish in middle and high school as a second language for 5 years (then learned ASL as a third). I have no Spanish-speaking ancestry (but my sister knows it), so you can't assume I'm Latino... :ugh:

gnulinuxman said:
I'm not Latino. I learned Spanish in middle and high school as a second language for 5 years (then learned ASL as a third). I have no Spanish-speaking ancestry (but my sister knows it), so you can't assume I'm Latino... :ugh:

I never said you were Latino. I was talking about Luciadisturbed and I understood why she rolled her eyes. It is good to have a good working knowledge and command of the spanish language. The Italian and Spanish language is almost the same.

Heath said:
I never said you were Latino. I was talking about Luciadisturbed and I understood why she rolled her eyes. It is good to have a good working knowledge and command of the spanish language. The Italian and Spanish language is almost the same.
It was still just a joke. I could have easily substituted French, for example, except that my sweetheart isn't learning French. :ugh:

Geez, people, you don't need to get sensitive over this. I didn't mean it as a put-down.

gnulinuxman said:
It was still just a joke. I could have easily substituted French, for example, except that my sweetheart isn't learning French. :ugh:

Geez, people, you don't need to get sensitive over this. I didn't mean it as a put-down.

That is okay. I am not too worried about it. I know you were only joking. You are forgiven. :D :thumb:

Angel and the Badman

Hi, All.

This is movie of year 1947, and now...
I wondering if they will captioning because it's in public domain, and it's now please read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_and_the_Badman

Here's a question: If the captioning companies does allow to have add captioning by any
studio can copy because it's public domain and can add captioning?
If don't so I believe so they are in heaven some deaf people are already in up there, and heaven :angel: could get captioning on
any titles, anywhere, any time without copyright permission
or public domain! That's cool to have them!
Most D/HH people are from 1900s to 1920s is already here in heaven. It's great thing they have captioning is available in heaven. :) Not on the earth. :(
So I hope someone who own the captioning editor can do it in the near
future. And I don't think that captioning companies can do for public domain?

I hope you will have a wonderful Father's day!
Happy Father's day, and God bless you.

Just check to see if CC is on the back of the case before you buy it... I never once had any trouble with my DVDs or Video tapes...... Just make sure it's not a OLD OLD movie because usually they don't got cc on old movies. But I hope the best for you though and etc.. :angel:

Cassbugs said:
Just check to see if CC is on the back of the case before you buy it... I never once had any trouble with my DVDs or Video tapes...... Just make sure it's not a OLD OLD movie because usually they don't got cc on old movies. But I hope the best for you though and etc.. :angel:

I did check, there is CC on the back of the DVD case....but when I put DVD in DVD player, no closed captions. *shrugs*

LuciaDisturbed said:
I did check, there is CC on the back of the DVD case....but when I put DVD in DVD player, no closed captions. *shrugs*
mmm werid! dang! I would hate it if it happen to me...

I am strictest, and, of course, I am following that make sure if it has CC/subtitled SDH or not such as I don't want to forget to check CC label of the box, I hating waste my money without CC on bonus features! If it happens me--I bought a DVD with a extras, and there no CC. That's mislabel for a reason, that why it was making me upset, or even frustrated without CC on extras for DVD.

I never forget for ever since 1991 when I was old 6, I learned from
my mother said, "there is closed-captioning is a logo--for example: NCI logo or CC logo" and in addition, you can look for English SDH from Universal Studios DVD has subtitles on all of them from this.

I am sorry, I am here for this captioning forum, because I love talking about captioning discussion, because I am avid captioning. :lol: Oh well. :roll: :dunno: These are
individuals are different.

However, I'd like to help you about captioning if you have a problems ask me
anytime-- please don't heistance. Please PM-- this is PM address. Locate here at: CCfan

When I first bought my DVD player, it had progressive scan. I used component cables (three cables) and from menu setup, I set the output of DVD player to progressive. It turns out that CC does NOT work with progressive scan enabled. In order for CC to work, I had to set the output of DVD player to Interlace scan (I-scan).

The CC CANNOT work with progressive scan enabled. Make sure that your DVD player has progressive scan DISABLED and use interlace scan.

I prefer subtitles myself. I like the transparent subtitles over black background CC so I can see everything and I can clearly read the subtitles. Plus watching progressive scan is noticably better and sharper than interlace scan. That's just me.

Peter

gnulinuxman said:

I thought you were deaf? You said you are hearing. ugh?

Back