captionmoviesnow.com

jwillisbarrie

Reaction score
PRESS RELEASES
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 18, 2006

DEAF ONTARIANS CHALLENGE MOVIE INDUSTRY

On November 2, 2006 at 10AM, the movie theatre, studio and distribution industries, including Famous Players, AMC Theatres, Universal Studios Canada, Paramount Pictures Canada, Cineplex Odeon, and Alliance Atlantis Cinemas will appear before the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario at 400 University Avenue, 7th Floor, Toronto for final hearings.

After approximately nineteen days of hearings, the Tribunal will be in a position to set down a final ruling on movie theatre access that will have significant outcomes for the Deaf, deafened, and hard of hearing communities, as well as for the worldwide movie industry.

Three Deaf complainants, namely Nancy Barker, a University of Toronto student, Gary Malkowski, Special Advisor to the President, Public Affairs, at The Canadian Hearing Society (CHS), and Scott Simser, an Ottawa Lawyer, along with representatives of the Ontario Human Rights Commission, allege that the movie theatre, studio and distribution industries have failed to accommodate Deaf, deafened, and hard of hearing movie-goers by not providing 100% captioning on movies in theatres.

In light of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the movie industry has a legal obligation and duty to accommodate movie-goers with disabilities, including Deaf, deafened, and hard of hearing individuals.

“We strongly urge movie theatre, studio and distribution industries to make movies in the theatre accessible to deaf, deafened and hard of hearing movie-goers,” says CHS President and CEO, Kelly Duffin. “People with a hearing loss should be able to enjoy the same movie entertainment as all members of society.”

The dates for the hearings are 2006: November, 2, 3 ,5, 8, December 11-14, 2007: January 16, 17, 19, 23, 25, 26, 30, February 13-16, 27, 28, March 1, 2, and April 17-19.

New technology continues to evolve in the age of digital movies. As well, new personal digital assistant compatible captioning technology will be demonstrated in California in July, 2006.

There's been a settlement recently that involves captioning by the movie industry. Since a lot of money is involved, the beneficaries and the parties have done enormously to put a lid on it like keeping it a secret.

I've filed an exclusion from the settlement and filed the same for our deaf center. The deadline for the exclusions has just passed a short time ago.

In the past 3 years, we've rented, bought,borrowed, and analyzed hundreds of VHS and DVD'd to see if the captioning were in fact there as printed on the packaging and the labels. We've dutifully reported our findings to the larger organizations like the the National Association of the Deaf.

People and organizations who have done nothing will get a lot of money from the settlement while people and organizations who have worked painstakenly in the name of movie access will be getting burned.

Finally the National Association of the Deaf is a thief, no question about it!

I've never felt this burned before and I'm going to get back at them for doing this to me!

Richard

Last edited:
Nesmuth said:
There's been a settlement recently that involves captioning by the movie industry. Since a lot of money is involved, the beneficaries and the parties have done enormously to put a lid on it like keeping it a secret.

I've filed an exclusion from the settlement and filed the same for our deaf center. The deadline for the exclusions has just passed a short time ago.

In the past 3 years, we've rented, bought,borrowed, and analyzed hundreds of VHS and DVD'd to see if the captioning were in fact there as printed on the packaging and the labels. We've dutifully reported our findings to the larger organizations like the the National Association of the Deaf.

People and organizations who have done nothing will get a lot of money from the settlement while people and organizations who have worked painstakenly in the name of movie access will be getting burned.

Finally the National Association of the Deaf is a thief, no question about it!

I've never felt this burned before and I'm going to get back at them for doing this to me!

Richard

Doesn't matter,
I've been file complaint about this too..
Which there's no respect at all... FYI..
Remmy that Canada doesn't have ADA.. which Sad..

Deaf Canadians are working hard and goal to have become one!
Expose them wake up call!

Back