Captioning on tv in a decline?

DeafCan

Reaction score
I started to notice TV news and shows had stopped captioning for a week now. CNN, Spike channel, and few other channels and several other news outlets stopped using captioning. I am from Windsor, Ontario. Canadian news channels had stopped using captioning also. CNN and HLN channel had stopped using it for a week. I was flipping channels for captioned news and was frustrated. I had to resort to news website to read the news. What's going on? Has anyone noticed it too?

Is that a actual breach of the captioning law?

It should be captioned...my favourite shows had ceased caption..right now I am watching Bar Rescue on Spike channel always captioned but now it's not and CNN is not captioned. I checked few other channels and captioning works so it was not turned off on my TV and was puzzled why most news and shows not captioned anymore?

If some channels show CC, then talk to your cable or satellite provider about other channels with no CC that you are concerned about. Very simple!

Yes-- chances are it is the station broadcasting CNN or whatever is not captioned- I had that problem a few years ago with I think Hallmark not showing captions (or some cable channel). Did everything including rebooting the modem, plug/unplug tv, check captions setting.. If I remember right I wound up calling my cable company and they did something on their end to reboot and resend the signal to my tv/cable box. That did the trick.

I don't know what the law is in Canada regarding captioning but here in the US they are supposed to.

I think TV is on a decline on the whole, most of stuff is not worth watching anyway.

If you, OP want to know if captioning on TV in America is in a decline, the answer is no. It's getting better and better. Even infomercials at late night are captioned.

Back