captioning from teleprompter

jejones3141

Reaction score
Since my job has had something to do with captioning, I've taken to leaving the home TV with caption display on, even though I'm hearing. It's been a highly educational experience!

One thing I've noticed is a local station generating captioning for its news from the teleprompter text. I suppose it's better than nothing, but OTOH, it definitely has drawbacks. They don't caption things like the weather forecast (since the weatherman's words aren't scripted) or live interviews. The captions include directions to the people on screen, so you see things like "ad lib to break" or "toss to [name]" in the captioning. Also, the announcers don't always say exactly what's on the teleprompter.

I have to wonder whether that counts for FCC purposes as captioning.

oh don't start me on this.

It pi**es me off to no end when they do that,
not only weather but entire parts of news' too.

For example they start showing latest news from the studio, then pass onto a reporter on the site and that's it.

"we have received disturbing news of a person dying from popular OTC medicine, tylenol . We will go now to the reporter at the place.."

and that's it.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Fuzzy

i know it's irriating about the live reports california has done well on the onsite reprts but here in hawaii don't get me started i lost NBC's caption now that i havre to rely on the internet for the fave soap of mine which irriates me GROWLS!

Yeah, that is why we have choices. All of the local news here in SLC are close-captioned. Although I like Good Day Utah very much (cutie weatherman, heh heh), their captioning is so lousy. So, I sometimes switch to KSL (religious owned) to watch better captioning. It's not the same. Oh well...

Back