Captioning for TV

MsHmcd

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering something I've tried the past couple weeks to get captioning for my tv working but I'm at a verge of giving up. I have the Canadian Rodgers plan (can't remember the brand of tv) I've tried the setting through cable, but hasn't worked yet.I'm tried of having the volume up full blast, even when my boyfriends home whose hearing I feel bad for his ears, so thinking that the captioning system may work even when I don't have my aid in or on I can still watch television fine.

What would you recommend?

Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering something I've tried the past couple weeks to get captioning for my tv working but I'm at a verge of giving up. I have the Canadian Rodgers plan (can't remember the brand of tv) I've tried the setting through cable, but hasn't worked yet.I'm tried of having the volume up full blast, even when my boyfriends home whose hearing I feel bad for his ears, so thinking that the captioning system may work even when I don't have my aid in or on I can still watch television fine.

What would you recommend?
http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page

Which one do you have?

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?Ntt=closed+captions&N=&_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=support_results&x=0&y=0

Q: Can I still change my settings through the updated interactive programming guide on my NextBox™ HDPVR and NextBox HD Terminal?

Please note: NextBox™ HD PVR and NextBox HD Terminals are only available in Ontario

A: Yes! By pressing MENU or SETTINGS on your Rogers remote you can change the following settings on your NextBox HD PVR and HD Terminals:

•TV – Easily access the interactive programming guide, set your favourite channels, view your PPV purchases, and tune to Live TV
•RECORDED TV – An easy to use menu where you can retrieve all of your recorded PVR content (if applicable) listed by date, title, and channel. Through this view you may also set recordings and view your scheduled recordings
•ON DEMAND – By selecting this tab you are redirected to the Rogers' On Demand portal. This view allows you to see which programs have been previously ordered and are still available in your video list (length of time remaining to view will vary based on when the program was first played/purchased and the type of programming).
•APPLICATIONS – In this tab, you can browse available applications; Weather and Advanced Search are currently available.
SETTINGS – This tab gives you the ability to change a variety of NextBox settings associated with Picture, Audio, Channel Setup, Closed Captions, PVR Settings (if applicable), Parental Controls, and System. This menu can be accessed by pressing the SETTINGS button on your Rogers remote.

The CC setting may not be available on a standard definition box (if you have that one).

Hi, I'd thought I'd share my experience that might be similar to yours.

Is it new TV you recently bought or the CC just suddenly stopped working?

I had this issue with DirectTV when the closed captioning suddenly stopped working. We never turned off the CC and it went on for days. We had to contact the cable provider to fix this issue. It might not be your TV but your cable provider. Most likely they will tell you to completely reset the connection, though. You can do that with your box yourself.But 2 weeks is way too long for this likely issue.
But never hurt to try.

Have a good day!:wave:

I've found that sometimes the local broadcasting station "forgets" or neglects to turn on captioning. This has been a problem the past few weeks because my favourite television show, How I Met Your Mother, hasn't been captioned when new episodes air.

I don't even expect live TV to have coherent captions. Apparently Deaf people don't need to know the news. I've written letters but always get either no response or the canned "it is a problem on your end" even though I have captions on every other channel.

Can't we just make all the hearing people who see captions as just some "annoyance" and extra work deaf for a day or two?

I've found that sometimes the local broadcasting station "forgets" or neglects to turn on captioning. This has been a problem the past few weeks because my favourite television show, How I Met Your Mother, hasn't been captioned when new episodes air.

I don't even expect live TV to have coherent captions. Apparently Deaf people don't need to know the news. I've written letters but always get either no response or the canned "it is a problem on your end" even though I have captions on every other channel.

Can't we just make all the hearing people who see captions as just some "annoyance" and extra work deaf for a day or two?

It's an uphill battle. What ticks me off is when I try and watch a program on "Comcast On Demand," and it's a show that clearly states it's captioned, but it isn't when I try and watch it. It's like they can't be bothered to caption shows.

Laura

I have called Comcast a few times about there being no CC on some stations and I was told by Comcast they have nothing to do with the CC . Comcast said the stations are the ones that put the CC on their shows, I said that is not true that Comcast has to made sure there are CC . I called FCC and they said I was right, that Comcast needs to made sure there are CC . You have to file a complaint with FCC against Comcast and this is a pain to do. I have the form but had not filed it out yet.

The CC on my TV does very strange things. Sometimes it is good then if I change the channel it looks like the person typing had their hands on the wrong keys. Looks like this
H*Pdeloaje, jdieushdjeu, djeu, djsush, fhfufh, dhdjdis,
Other times I record a show to watch later and the CC isn't there at all. Drives me crazy!!
I think it is Wavebroad Bands issue but I can't get anyone to help:-(

The CC on my TV does very strange things. Sometimes it is good then if I change the channel it looks like the person typing had their hands on the wrong keys. Looks like this
H*Pdeloaje, jdieushdjeu, djeu, djsush, fhfufh, dhdjdis,
(

I see that more than I'd like. One time I saw an exchange (I can only assume it was an exchange between two typists), they went on a sexual, vulgar typing spree at the expense of the deaf/hearing impaired community. I was so angry, I called Comcast on the spot and complained....it stopped....hopefully someone lost their job. There's no excuse for this. I believe their song and dance about CC about as much as Netflix - they're just lying....both of them.

Laura

It's rare but sometimes I've DVR'd shows and the captioning doesn't show up and a quick fix is to replay it and when the 1st several seconds go by press pause and let it pause for 5 or so seconds. Then press play and that somehow gets the captioning to show up again.

Back