Captioning at colleges

sailerboy

Reaction score
Hi, I am at that time in my life where I'm applying for colleges. One of the colleges I applied at, and got into was UC Riverside. They have examples of their disability services here: http://www.specialservices.ucr.edu/...for Parents of Students with Disabilities.pdf

Of course, I'm hard of hearing (otherwise why would I be posting here?). Under deaf, they list:
Students who are deaf cannot hear class lectures. Provision of sign language interpreters as an
accommodation gives students who are deaf access to the information discussed in the classroom at
nearly the same time it is presented. Students who are deaf are also provided with note-takers, even
though the lectures are interpreted. This is because it is virtually impossible to follow a signed lecture
and take notes at the same time.

I never learned sign language, my parents wanted me to be mainstreamed, and part of that was never learning to sign. I'm a bit dubious to the quality of the notes as well, because I'm sure they're provided by other students.

In other academic environments, I have had access to CART, which was instrumental to my success. Does anyone know if they have anything like that at UCRiverside? I've tried emailing them with no response yet.

Thanks.

Keep pushing for CART if that's what works best for you. Make sure arrangements are made with enough lead time, and that you are able to meet with your instructors and the CART transcriptionists ahead of class to cover any other accommodations or preferences that need to be arranged.

Be forewarned that videos used by colleges often don't have captions. You need to be proactive about that because many instructors are either clueless about the need for captions, or just assume that captions are included.

When it comes to college services, assume nothing and question everything.

I intend fully to do that, but I was wondering if anyone had the explicite experience at that particular college.

I liked CART myself. I only had few experiences of those, and I like how the notes are emailed to me.

Most of time I had interpreters, but CART are a rarity... I thought they were awesome!

The con part, though, I wasn't able to speak out for myself...

I'm a bit different than most. I still have a fair amount of residual hearing, and as long as nobody else is talking, I can hear the professor, and ask questions quite clearly. However, CART is awesome as a supplement, so I can make sure I don't miss a thing that is said.

Hi Sailerboy, did you find CART providers in your area? I have a Facebook
friend who provides CART in Riverside. She offered me a job, but it's too far for me.

I attend the University of Vermont part-time.

They provide CART but I do not bother since CART often takes notes of things that aren't important to the overall class discussion, such as discussions and quirks that I don't care for.

I use a regular notetaker, ASL interpreters and captioning services. The captioning services part is still a pain in the ass as most instructors usually wait until the last minute to request a film be captioned, etc.

I'm kind of annoyed that the school kind of assumes that all deaf and hard of hearing people know sign language. They definitely should be offering alternative services.

Keep pushing for CART if that's what works best for you. Make sure arrangements are made with enough lead time, and that you are able to meet with your instructors and the CART transcriptionists ahead of class to cover any other accommodations or preferences that need to be arranged.

Be forewarned that videos used by colleges often don't have captions. You need to be proactive about that because many instructors are either clueless about the need for captions, or just assume that captions are included.

The bolded -- that's actually a very good point. I would not have thought of that. I sometimes consider going back to school and I was interested in the idea of CART for some classes (even though I can use an ASL interpreter.)

Back