Captioning Advocacy

Nesmuth

Reaction score
We have many deaf organizations fighting for captioning of television programs and movies all the times.

What surprises me is that many of these organiztions are webcasting videos from their websites without captioning or subtitling. You can discover this at NAD's and CSD's websites for example. The videos they produce contain no captioning or subtitling at all.

I think this is a terrible example of themselves to be fighting for captioning yet they dont even caption or subtitle their own videos.

What gives?

Richard

I agree... however, they need a potential market to caption TV and movies, because it's expensive and takes up a lot of time. They need to be sure Deaf people will see/buy/rent it.

I agree with you Richard, that ie would be nice if the NAD captioned their videos, it would be a good example. But yet, captioning has still ways to go, even on t.v not all shows are captioned.

I agree with you.

I agree with you Richard that they should there videos on thier website.
If a hearing person goes to a website, and they don't know ASL they won't be able to understand it unless oraginzaitions like CSD caption it.
We did it before, it takes time, but its worth it.
Also they can ask for donations to help them pay to have the videos captioned.
Margie
Dir. of Communation Services
OCDAC :ily:

Quality of captions

Another issue that needs to be fixed is the overall quality. I will watch some shows with captions and still not understand what's going on. Trying to understand the captions on some news programs is next to impossible.

BTW I'm hearing and have several years of college. I wouldn't want to depend on captions to follow programs.

Back