Captioned Telephones

set2

Reaction score
Has any one tried a Captel phone? I am going to apply to get one through CTAP (California Telephone Access Program). I HATE using the phone :pissed: and captioning would be nice. Here is a web address if anyone else is interested. CapTel - The Captioned Telephone.

I've seen a demonstration of a Captel phone and the first time a hoh co-worker volunteered to demo by calling her mother and I still remember how emotional she got (the interpreter terped the emotion in her voice and I almost cried). I tried to convince my hoh sister to get one but she never did. Oh well, her loss...

Enjoy your Captel phone!

I have had one of these phones for several years now as I was/am a beta tester. I really like the main features of this product.

I love Captel, I can speak well and still need to lipread, but with Captel, I can hear noises in back ground like a baby crying, party, resturants, if someone is driving. It is much better than VCO, TTY. But it all depends how well you hear voices and/or noises, but it is sure better than hearing that gosh awful blurping noise on the VCO phone.. gads...............

I had one in Oregon for 6 years and moved to Washington State and they don't offer it! I didn't have to paythe phone in Oregon, just sent it back to State of Oregon when moving. Didn't have to pay long distance for about 1 1/2 years while on trial... What a plus!!!!!

PS I am very new here.. I live in Bellingham. Wa

Back