CAPD terminology (Audi says I'm "hearing impaired.")

And another post reported. Who let the dogs out? They always seem to run in packs.

I guess it's time to call the dog catcher... I do hope they do a better job of securing the pound. :P

Anyone care to discuss CAPD?

Ok, I'll bite and make an attempt to be civil.

Two weeks ago, I had my hearing evaluated. My audiologist, whom I know very well, and have a good rapport with, did a complete audiogram. He did the bone conductivity test, as well as Frequency (Hz), Speech Audiometry, Word Recognition, Typanometry, Pure Tone, and Acoustic Reflex tests. After the test, he informed me that I was losing all of my discrimination in my left ear.

I haven't been wearing my left HA for a couple of months, because the tube shrunk and the ear mold fell off. I was also visiting him to have a new earmold made.

He said that my ability to discriminate sounds in my left ear was almost non-existent, and was a result of there being no stimulation from wearing my HA in that ear. That puzzled me a bit, because I assumed I would recognize sounds from memory. He told me that isn't the case and said rather frankly "If you don't use it [meaning HA] you lose it [meaning sound recognition and discrimination]".

I don't know how that would relate to CAPD, but if a person can hear noise, but not discriminate or process the noise into anything intelligible, something isn't being stimulated perhaps? :dunno:

I do know you can "train your brain" to discriminate and recognize, identify and process sounds. I have done it before many times when I would lose a HA, it broke, or like recently, lost an ear mold.

Now where were we?

We were discussing the neurological implications of CAPD and whether or not it was appropriate for the OP to identify herself as HOH. I think it is perfectly acceptable for her to do so.

Ok, I'll bite and make an attempt to be civil.

Two weeks ago, I had my hearing evaluated. My audiologist, whom I know very well, and have a good rapport with, did a complete audiogram. He did the bone conductivity test, as well as Frequency (Hz), Speech Audiometry, Word Recognition, Typanometry, Pure Tone, and Acoustic Reflex tests. After the test, he informed me that I was losing all of my discrimination in my left ear.

I haven't been wearing my left HA for a couple of months, because the tube shrunk and the ear mold fell off. I was also visiting him to have a new earmold made.

He said that my ability to discriminate sounds in my left ear was almost non-existent, and was a result of there being no stimulation from wearing my HA in that ear. That puzzled me a bit, because I assumed I would recognize sounds from memory. He told me that isn't the case and said rather frankly "If you don't use it [meaning HA] you lose it [meaning sound recognition and discrimination]".

I don't know how that would relate to CAPD, but if a person can hear noise, but not discriminate or process the noise into anything intelligible, something isn't being stimulated perhaps? :dunno:

I do know you can "train your brain" to discriminate and recognize, identify and process sounds. I have done it before many times when I would lose a HA, it broke, or like recently, lost an ear mold.

I'll leave it to those who actually suffer from CAPD to make the judgement on weather their brains can be trained to recognizne sounds. Based on what others with CAPD and people close to loved ones with CAPD have said, I don't think this is quite as easy it you make it seem.

The only way I can understand it is to compare it to my deafness. The type of deafness that I have can include some very distorted sounds and I gather that a certain part of the brain distorts that as well so I'm not sure how that can be done

I'll leave it to those who actually suffer from CAPD to make the judgement on weather their brains can be trained to recognizne sounds. Based on what others with CAPD and people close to loved ones with CAPD have said, I don't think this is quite as easy it you make it seem.

The only way I can understand it is to compare it to my deafness. The type of deafness that I have can include some very distorted sounds and I gather that a certain part of the brain distorts that as well so I'm not sure how that can be dpme

With CAPD it is much more complicated than "teaching your brain to discriminate".

With CAPD it is much more complicated than "teaching your brain to discriminate".

I am sure it is more complicated, and I was not implying that my inability to discriminate due to lack of stimulation was the same thing as CAPD. I was just throwing it out there that the ability to discriminate can be lost due to lack of stimulation.

I am sure it is more complicated, and I was not implying that my inability to discriminate due to lack of stimulation was the same thing as CAPD. I was just throwing it out there that the ability to discriminate can be lost due to lack of stimulation.

how would hearing sufferer suffer from a lack of stimulation? There's n0o0oo0o escape from sound for the hearing!

Actually, the inability to discriminate is not due to lack of stimulation. Stimulation is occurring, or there would be nothing to discriminate.

how would hearing sufferer suffer from a lack of stimulation? There's n0o0oo0o escape from sound for the hearing!

That was what puzzled me when my Audiologist said I was losing my ability to discriminate. Even with amplified sound, I could not recognize very basic words that I was able to recognize two months ago. I still can't, and I have had my HA on for the past three days. It is all unintelligible noise - in my left ear. My hearing loss is more severe in my right ear, but the discrimination level is very high in my right ear.

So, to sum this up, my left ear, I can hear better but can't discriminate worth crap. My right ear, I can't hear worth crap but can discriminate at 85%

That was what puzzled me when my Audiologist said I was losing my ability to discriminate. Even with amplified sound, I could not recognize very basic words that I was able to recognize two months ago. I still can't, and I have had my HA on for the past three days. It is all unintelligible noise - in my left ear. My hearing loss is more severe in my right ear, but the discrimination level is very high in my right ear.

So, to sum this up, my left ear, I can hear better but can't discriminate worth crap. My right ear, I can't hear worth crap but can discriminate at 85%

That has nothing to do with the discrimination involved in CAPD. In CAPD, it is over activation of specific brain areas.

Discrimination in deafness has more to do with an inability to pick up key sounds.

That has nothing to do with the discrimination involved in CAPD. In CAPD, it is over activation of specific brain areas.

Discrimination in deafness has more to do with an inability to pick up key sounds.

So it would be more like sensory overload?

Kind of. More like an inability to filter.

Geez, I bet that causes a LOT of migraines. Especially if one is trying to over concentrate and filter.

So, aspergers can be misdiagnosed when a person can actually have CAPD? Interesting ...

Geez, I bet that causes a LOT of migraines. Especially if one is trying to over concentrate and filter.

So, aspergers can be misdiagnosed when a person can actually have CAPD? Interesting ...

Yep.

I suppose it could, but the symptoms really don't cross.

:laugh2:

How did that August 11th Deaf Day at the A's game go? You never got back to me when I was trying to donate...

:hmm:

Not sure what this has to do with CAPD or Auditory pathways. But anyway...There was very little interest. Possibly because it was the A's :dunno: We moved the game back to Aug 20th (the original date was the 13th not the 11th) ....still very little interest. I ended up buying 26 tickets, one more than the minimum for a group since I had already put up a deposit. The cost was only $358 after fees so I didn't really need help with that. :lol: I didn't bother people who offered. However if you want to send money feel free. :)

Back