Can't wait for these technologie's to advance

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I look around for gadgets and technology that can help us who are deaf or hard of hearing. I know I'm not the only one. Sometimes we make a discovery that can be helpful. Other times we can feel frustrated because we know the technology is out there but not many are really putting them together. As mean as this may sound a part of me wishes some of those people who design various devices such as mobiles phones would loose their hearing then put their minds to using their expertise to solve some problems we deaf and hard of hearing face. Could you imagine if the ones who made the iPhone lost their hearing? They'd probably create a device that would really help us.

As a professional magician and inventor of a number of tricks and props for magicians. I enjoy putting my mind to ideas and try to find solutions. Most of my ideas are terrible ones but sometimes I get lucky. Of course being someone who use to be able to hear and is now deaf I've put some thought into ideas that might make life a little easier in that area. So I thought I'd come here and share some of these ideas and also express what I hope will some day be possible as technology advances. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these ideas have already been done before but I always look around to see if they are already available. So far I haven't found any of the ones I'll mention below but if they do exist I'd love to know about them so please let us know.

One technology that I think is really going to help us is voice recognition. I know this technology has already been put to use for deaf but I don't feel they are using it to it's fullest potential. Currently the most advanced "Speech to text" program that is readily available is Dragon Naturally speaking. I know there are others but this one is fairly priced and pretty much the on the top of the list. The claim 99% accuracy right now. I'm not sure that's true but I use it on my computer and it's pretty accurate once it learns your speech. I have a little hard time using it because I have a slight slur in my speech but I don't use it for my voice anyway. I mainly use it for real time closed captioning. For instance when I talk to a friend he'll talk into the microphone and I'll read it off the screen.

This brings me to one of my ideas. They now have a Dragon Naturally Speaking mobile device. It's basically a memo recorder that when you plug it into a computer you can turn what was said into text. That alone can be helpful for us but what I'd love to see if if it would actually display the text on the screen in real time. So when you friend talks to you everything they say will show up on the screen. Even better yet. Imagine if a micro display (Worn in front of your eye) displays the text.

To go a step further what if you hooked a braille monitor to it. I've seen braille monitors that you wear on your finger and the pins pop up to spell the words so your finger doesn't have to move. If you learned braille and used this you'd be able to read the text while keeping eye contact.

Voice recognition technology is picking up and someday this is what I think, or hope rather, will be possible. This is going to sound a bit like a science fiction movie but keep in mind so was a mobile phone not long ago. Remember the Communicator on Star trek that everyone dreamed of having some day? What I hope we'l have in the future (Near future) is voice recognition technology that can easily distinguish one person's voice from another. This technology is already possible but not really up to par yet. So for example let's say you're in the room with Mike, Paul, John and Lisa. The only ones you want to talk to are Mike and Lisa. Simple tell the program they are the only ones you want to hear and you'll only read what those people say. Not only that it'll some day be able to distinguish one sound from another. For example a (red tailed hawk squawks) is what you'll read as appose to just (bird sound).

I for one can't wait for this technology to focus on it's full potential. I'm waiting for the days when I can make a private phone call with no relay operator. To really enjoy a movie in a theater and to be able to easily order a pizza. I do believe many of these things are already possible if someone would just put them together.

We shouldn't need an extra device to make TTY or VCO calls on a mobile phone because mobile phones already have all that's needed except to simply install the program into it. The keyboard, display screen and microphone is already there. They just need to put it together. The above ideas I mentioned are already here. With some limitations right now but the technology is improving. Right now we'd have to have the device learn the peoples speech we wan to use it to communicate with it. But most people only talk to a hand full of people on a day to day basis. It'll store quite a number of voices (I think over a 100 right now). So that's more then enough. And those on this list would become instant interpreters.

Just thought I'd share some of these ideas and thoughts.

What do you think?

Ron Jaxon

Hey. I think anything is possible I am still trying to get "Vilingo" to reconize my voice. But it is hard

To have something better would be awesome.

To go a step further what if you hooked a braille monitor to it. I've seen braille monitors that you wear on your finger and the pins pop up to spell the words so your finger doesn't have to move. If you learned braille and used this you'd be able to read the text while keeping eye contact.

This would be a wonderful technology for the deafblind.

I'm curious about the Braille display one can wear on their finger. I've never heard of this before. Could you direct me to a website where I can learn more -- or could you describe what it looks like? I once heard of a Braille display being developed that had a rotating wheel which allowed a blind or deafblind person to read continuously without removing their finger from the display, but I don't think it ever reached production.

I would love to see the advancement of voice recognition. The first time I heard about voice recognition was through Dragon Naturally Speaking. Then I learned about how voice recognition was being used with realtime captioning. It works by having the captionist speak into a mask and the words appear on a computer screen.

One thing I'd like to see is a reduction in the cost of adaptive technology. Case in point: technology for the blind. A Braille display costs $5,000 and a fully functional screen reader between $700-$800. If it were not for the help of VR and other agencies, I would be unable to have a computer which uses this technology nor the other adaptive equipment I have in my home (such as tactile signaler for doorbell and phone, vibrating smoke detector, etc.).

I've tried Dragon natually speaking 9.5 and my laptop couldn't muster the speed of speech of teacher. It goes funky or won't print text at all. It sucks big time. My laptop exceeds all requirements for recommended system. I even turned off running programs, close unneccessary program to allow laptop to speed it up. It still doesn't work. It even pops up menu or file window that someone was talking sound like a commands. My hearing friends and I were struggling to get it straightened up. It won't let me to fix the problems. So Dragon Natually speaking isn't good for my laptop.

I even have BlueParrott bluetooth headset and it would work up to 30ft. I was less than 6 feet from teacher wearing bluetooth headset. It didn't help much.

I also witnessed my friend's new laptop with Windows Vista and he use voice recognization software built in Vista. He spoke 'trained' his voice to it then speak to me. It prints word fast (far better than my laptop) and still get garbled message coming across even some bad words that he never said it (for I was at Church). So personally voice recognitzation software still have long road ahead. No one voice are perfect. Software are still glitchy.

I am going to sell Dragon Natually Speaking software and BlueParrott bluetooth headset. It sucks big.

Catty

Forgot to mention that my teacher did trained his voice on Dragon Natually speaking software. After it was trained, it still get funky. No matter how good teacher speak clearly. It craps. I even had one guy who was expert with voice recognization software got frustrated and threw his hand over it.

We did tried swap to wired microphone, laptop's own microphone ect.. All same result. It's just my laptop not cooperating with me.

Catty

That's strange because I don't have much trouble with Dragon Naturally Speaking. Well, with my speech it's a pain but with my hearing friends and family it works great. Sure, from time to time a word will be wrong or misspelled but not that often really. It's always close enough for me to get an idea of what the real word is in context with the rest of the sentence. You can edit words that repeatedly show up wrong. Over time it got more and more accurate. So that sucks that you're having a hard time getting it to work.

I'm sure the technology will advance though.

This would be a wonderful technology for the deafblind.

I'm curious about the Braille display one can wear on their finger. I've never heard of this before. Could you direct me to a website where I can learn more -- or could you describe what it looks like? I once heard of a Braille display being developed that had a rotating wheel which allowed a blind or deafblind person to read continuously without removing their finger from the display, but I don't think it ever reached production.

I can't find the exact "One finger" braille monitor I saw. I can't remember where I saw it (on TV or online) but I'm looking for it. Here's an image that shows the closes I've found so far.

Image is linked to source page.

Here's a video of something similar. Do a search or "Virtual Braille Display" and you'll find other examples.

On a flip side of the coin. Here's something a little different.

Ron Jaxon

Ron,

I can't see the image you posted or the video (I'm totally blind), but a sighted-hearing neighbor described them to me.

I was particularly interested in the video since it showed a 16 cell Braille display. Since a Braille cell only consists of 6 or 8 dots, I wonder how a blind or deafblind person would correctly interpret what is being displayed?

As for the Braille Glove, I thought that was a very interesting invention.

That's strange because I don't have much trouble with Dragon Naturally Speaking. Well, with my speech it's a pain but with my hearing friends and family it works great. Sure, from time to time a word will be wrong or misspelled but not that often really. It's always close enough for me to get an idea of what the real word is in context with the rest of the sentence. You can edit words that repeatedly show up wrong. Over time it got more and more accurate. So that sucks that you're having a hard time getting it to work.

I'm sure the technology will advance though.

I can't find the exact "One finger" braille monitor I saw. I can't remember where I saw it (on TV or online) but I'm looking for it. Here's an image that shows the closes I've found so far.

Image is linked to source page.

Here's a video of something similar. Do a search or "Virtual Braille Display" and you'll find other examples.

On a flip side of the coin. Here's something a little different.

Ron Jaxon
Hmm... that looks pretty cool and handy. :)

I for one can't wait for this technology to focus on it's full potential. I'm waiting for the days when I can make a private phone call with no relay operator. To really enjoy a movie in a theater and to be able to easily order a pizza. I do believe many of these things are already possible if someone would just put them together.

That's already available with WebCapTel, like at www.sprintcaptel.com.

Ron,

I can't see the image you posted or the video (I'm totally blind), but a sighted-hearing neighbor described them to me.

I was particularly interested in the video since it showed a 16 cell Braille display. Since a Braille cell only consists of 6 or 8 dots, I wonder how a blind or deafblind person would correctly interpret what is being displayed?

As for the Braille Glove, I thought that was a very interesting invention.

I think that 16 cell braille display is used for more then just braille. From what I gather while reading about it they seem to be working on more things that have to do with touch. For example let's say I put my finger in my device. You'd be able to feel the pressure my finger is putting on the pad on your device. So it's kind of like you'd feel my finger.

Here's another neat device. I've never used it of course but just reading about it makes me want to get one and find out what it's like. It's called a Touch site camera. It has what they call a "Flexible Braille Display" on the back of the camera that let's you feel the pictures you take with it. IT also says you can hold it to your forehead as a sort of third eye and let's you feel what's around you. I have no idea how well it works but it's got me interested.

This looks interesting too. It's called the iCommunicator and it seems to be a lot like some of the things I mentioned in my opening post. Has anyone in here tried it?

Ron Jaxon

This looks interesting too. It's called the iCommunicator and it seems to be a lot like some of the things I mentioned in my opening post. Has anyone in here tried it?

Ron Jaxon

Sounds interesting to me too.....here's an updated page...it seems based on Dragon naturally Speaking, but version 9 right now (one version below newest Dragon)....

iCommunicator - Product Information

Hopefully there is some out there using it....

Might be cheaper to buy Dragon version 10

I think that 16 cell braille display is used for more then just braille. From what I gather while reading about it they seem to be working on more things that have to do with touch. For example let's say I put my finger in my device. You'd be able to feel the pressure my finger is putting on the pad on your device. So it's kind of like you'd feel my finger.

I wonder if the 16 cell Braille display might also be used for pictures/tactile images?

Here's another neat device. I've never used it of course but just reading about it makes me want to get one and find out what it's like. It's called a Touch site camera. It has what they call a "Flexible Braille Display" on the back of the camera that let's you feel the pictures you take with it. IT also says you can hold it to your forehead as a sort of third eye and let's you feel what's around you. I have no idea how well it works but it's got me interested.

Interesting. I have an online friend who is totally blind and enjoys photography. Something like this would be perfect for her. As for holding this device up to my forehead to "see" what's around me, I have to admit that I'd feel kind of foolish doing this, but the idea is interesting nevertheless. :)

Ron Jaxon
i

Interesting. I have an online friend who is totally blind and enjoys photography. Something like this would be perfect for her. As for holding this device up to my forehead to "see" what's around me, I have to admit that I'd feel kind of foolish doing this, but the idea is interesting nevertheless.

Who knows. Maybe as the technology advances it an fit in the rim of a hat.

Here's another one that is Invisible Object Technology. It "involves manipulating ultrasound waves that create a focal point, which your hands would perceive as an object.". In other words it uses ultrasound waves to make you feel something that isn't really there. I bet that technology will open many doors in the future.

I think the future is going to look good for us. I just wish it would hurry up and get here. :)

Ron Jaxon

Based on what I've read about adaptive technology, most of it seems to be developed in Japan. It would be wonderful if all of these great ideas would come to fruition instead of being just another invention that never sees the light of day.

Last edited:
I remember reading about a service somewhere but I can't remember what it was called or what country had it. It used voice recognition for phone calls.

Here's how I remember how they explained how it worked.

To help explain imagine you have a friend named Mike that you want to talk to over the phone. Mike would call a special number and get assigned an extension number (Kind of like a password). They call the number the over the phone the computer would "Learn his speech".

Once this is done they can call you by entering his extension number that was assigned to him. This tells the computer that it's that person (Mike) who is calling and to use his voice recognition program. So now they'll be able to talk to you over the phone and you'll be able to read it without a relay operator.

It must have been about 2 years ago that I read about this but now I can't find it so I have no idea if it's still in use anywhere. I do remember it wasn't in the states though.

Does anyone know?

Ron Jaxon

I remember reading about a service somewhere but I can't remember what it was called or what country had it. It used voice recognition for phone calls.

Here's how I remember how they explained how it worked.

To help explain imagine you have a friend named Mike that you want to talk to over the phone. Mike would call a special number and get assigned an extension number (Kind of like a password). They call the number the over the phone the computer would "Learn his speech".

Once this is done they can call you by entering his extension number that was assigned to him. This tells the computer that it's that person (Mike) who is calling and to use his voice recognition program. So now they'll be able to talk to you over the phone and you'll be able to read it without a relay operator.

It must have been about 2 years ago that I read about this but now I can't find it so I have no idea if it's still in use anywhere. I do remember it wasn't in the states though.

Does anyone know?

Ron Jaxon

The closest thing to the most accurate voice recognition enhanced phone program is CapTel / WebCaptel:

CapTel - The Captioned Telephone

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/www.sprintcaptel.com

https://web.hamiltoncaptel.com/index.asp?sid=&tab=1

This is technology used in the U.S. I'm not sure what the U.K. uses......

Saw an article on the UK struggles:

http://www.publictechnology.net/article_avantgo.php?sid=17637

Thought they were way ahead of the US.....

Thank you for the reply. They aren't exactly what I was looking for but very helpful.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the reply. They aren't exactly what I was looking for but very helpful.

Thanks again.

I bet you were looking for an automatic standalone voice recognition application like Dragon that will work in phone conversations. This route is currently going to be difficult due to the different types of voices, accents, languages, etc. That's why the best and most logical is the transparent captionist. Until they perfect the differing language issues, this will always be the best way other than court reporting style captioning.

Another way would be training each voice of the persons that you normally talk to. You will then have a voice tag for each person that the voice recognition software will understand, and hopefully will achieve almost 100% accuracy....I tried to do this back in 2002-3 before CapTel came to fruition. This takes way too much work, and I just wasn't patient enough......

Good Luck!!

Another way would be training each voice of the persons that you normally talk to. You will then have a voice tag for each person that the voice recognition software will understand, and hopefully will achieve almost 100% accuracy....I tried to do this back in 2002-3 before CapTel came to fruition. This takes way too much work, and I just wasn't patient enough......

Good Luck!!

That's exactly what the service I was referring to does. Each user has an extension number to dial that will that them to the "Tag" of their voice recognition that learned their speech. So when they want to call me they dial their extension that is designated to their voice then connect the call.

I'm sure the voice recognition technology will advance. Who knows how long it'll be but there have been many advances lately. I thought to look into this now because it was at least a couple of years ago that I read about it somewhere so I was curious if any advances have been made since then.

We'll have it some day I'm sure. When we do the old science fiction gadget "The interpreter" will be a reality. :)

Ron Jaxon

That's exactly what the service I was referring to does. Each user has an extension number to dial that will that them to the "Tag" of their voice recognition that learned their speech. So when they want to call me they dial their extension that is designated to their voice then connect the call.

I'm sure the voice recognition technology will advance. Who knows how long it'll be but there have been many advances lately. I thought to look into this now because it was at least a couple of years ago that I read about it somewhere so I was curious if any advances have been made since then.

We'll have it some day I'm sure. When we do the old science fiction gadget "The interpreter" will be a reality. :)

Ron Jaxon

Well, computers are getting faster and more compact, so it'll help speed up the processing power of the software to help make the voice recognition more accurate. I don't remember this service you were speaking of, maybe this was the stuff I was trying to get Ultratec to tell me about that the U.K. had access to.....realtime captioning in a classroom or conference room.

As for tags, it's possible to do your own "homemade voice tags". This way a phone number will automatically select the relevant voice tag. You can use a computer with Skype or something that has VOIP, then the voice recognition program can "hear" what the other person is saying and translate to text.

This was something I tried to do back in 2002, but Dragon NS was "junk" back then.....too inaccurate. Maybe the newest is better...they boast 99% accuracy.

Back