Can't Understand Echo Sound !

nasif123

Reaction score
I can hear but can't understand what the professor saying on my university's classroom. Outside the classroom I can understand my professor's speech! The sound echoes in the classroom. Does anybody have this sort of problem or have problem in understanding echo speech?! Does hearing aid can solve this problem? I can't understand any of the words in my classroom, I would say my word recognition score is 0.001% while in the classroom ! I am just curious about this.

yes, this is a very common problem for Hard of hearing (HOH) and deaf students who depend on hearing tools like hearing aids. Which is why they recommend carpet for HOH and deaf . Another solution to eliminate echoes is the FM system where the professors wear a microphone.

But it seem to me that you might be hearing (or at least mild or moderate Hard of hearing) if you are asking if you should wear a hearing aid.

I am not hearing... I have bi-lateral moderate mixed type hearing loss...

you should get an hearing aid because the FM system suppose to work with hearing aids.
\
you should learn ASL so you can be qualify for an interpreter in the future.

Oh I thought he said he had a hearing aid. Wondering if you have so much trouble hearing in the class room why getting hearing aids weren't something you thought of before? How is your hearing everywhere else? Loud places? Or even outside?

Oh I thought he said he had a hearing aid. Wondering if you have so much trouble hearing in the class room why getting hearing aids weren't something you thought of before? How is your hearing everywhere else? Loud places? Or even outside?

I can only hear clearly when talking with someone face to face (lipreading). When someone talks with me from the behind then I can't recognize the speech well. At noisy places, overlapping sounds makes me confuse and makes difficult to understand the speech... Can't understand music until I read lyrics...

Wow, sorry to hear that. How long has your hearing been like that? Why haven't you tried to get Hearing aids before?

I have been HOH since five years back. Viral infection in my ear is probably the cause. Audiologist at that time told me that I don't need hearing aid and my hearing would improve (how ignorant he is) ! Later I realized that I can hear but can't understand speech and that must be the problem with the nerve not with the ear so I persuaded my parents to get me to the audiologist. Just 15 days back I went to new audiologist and he suggested me to get an aid.

Have you tried having you HA reprogrammed? The hearing in noise can come from incorrect expansion settings. Basically, expansion is a method to suppress noise but the HA must get over a threshold before it recognizes sound. If this is set wrong, it will act as though the speaker in a noisy environment is background noise and won't release the sound to the DSP.

The first thing I would recommend is a new fitting.

C1

Have you tried having you HA reprogrammed? The hearing in noise can come from incorrect expansion settings. Basically, expansion is a method to suppress noise but the HA must get over a threshold before it recognizes sound. If this is set wrong, it will act as though the speaker in a noisy environment is background noise and won't release the sound to the DSP.

The first thing I would recommend is a new fitting.

C1

He could, if only he have a hearing aid.

Back