Can't hear, can't sign either - social outcast!

I'll try not to get started on "wheelchair-bounded" in case English is not your first language, but it is NOT an acceptable thing to say, it's the N-word of wheelchairs. Anyway, electric wheelchair is different, electric is for people who don't have use of their arms.

LOL that very much tickles my irony as I recently left the local university because of access issues! :laugh2::laugh2:

English is well known for not being the most well used by many people born deaf.

So you probably won't be trouble again by many people trying to help you. :wave:

I'll try not to get started on "wheelchair-bounded" in case English is not your first language, but it is NOT an acceptable thing to say, it's the N-word of wheelchairs. Anyway, electric wheelchair is different, electric is for people who don't have use of their arms.

LOL that very much tickles my irony as I recently left the local university because of access issues! :laugh2::laugh2:

I was taught that term by the paraplegic sports organizations we have here... Some of them use electric wheelchairs even. It would be wrong of me to judge your ability based on limited feedbacks.

So sorry... that someone taught me the "wrong term."

Hey, I found it offensive to be told "all you need is arms" as if someone else should know better about what disabled people are capable of. Get it told to us a hundred times a day - why don't you play wheelchair basketball? You can manage the inaccessible toilet we have because we once had another woman in a wheelchair and she was able to do it so why can't you? My friend does this in her wheelchair ergo it absolutely must be possible for you also. It's pretty equivalent to saying that all people with hearing loss can lipread just because you once met someone who can. Y'know, it's putting all wheelchair users into a box that everyone who is in a wheelchair has the same capabilities, no individualism.

Like I said, I'm not going to go off about that term precisely because I AM aware that English is not some people's first language, but it doesn't mean I am going to not mention it's not acceptable language. Would you expect someone to be called N-word and not say by the way we don't say that any more? Better that than someone use it in a situation where it will cause a whole lot of trouble. Venture in the wrong places and say that and you'll set off a hundred (literally) angry responses from people talking about ignorance and disability models. People still write it in the media often and are sent hundreds of responses from angry disability groups and disabled individuals. So why am I expected not to mention that it's offensive language?

iddle of a conversation with extremely limited vocabulary!

It's definitely been a liberator and well worth the money I spent, but it starts to feel like a barrier when I signed up to a deaf events newletter from every organisation in Scotland and so far I have been sent 2x5k run, one 10k run, a tandem skydive, sports club, deaf football and an opportunity to climb a mountain. If they can just arrange for a smaller mountain then I'd game for that, but climbing with ropes and caribeners is one step too far. ;)

Why did you spend money? NHS supplies power chairs to those who need them.

Hey, I found it offensive to be told "all you need is arms" as if someone else should know better about what disabled people are capable of. Get it told to us a hundred times a day - why don't you play wheelchair basketball? You can manage the inaccessible toilet we have because we once had another woman in a wheelchair and she was able to do it so why can't you? My friend does this in her wheelchair ergo it absolutely must be possible for you also. It's pretty equivalent to saying that all people with hearing loss can lipread just because you once met someone who can. Y'know, it's putting all wheelchair users into a box that everyone who is in a wheelchair has the same capabilities, no individualism.

Like I said, I'm not going to go off about that term precisely because I AM aware that English is not some people's first language, but it doesn't mean I am going to not mention it's not acceptable language. Would you expect someone to be called N-word and not say by the way we don't say that any more? Better that than someone use it in a situation where it will cause a whole lot of trouble. Venture in the wrong places and say that and you'll set off a hundred (literally) angry responses from people talking about ignorance and disability models. People still write it in the media often and are sent hundreds of responses from angry disability groups and disabled individuals. So why am I expected not to mention that it's offensive language?
Looked much more like you objected to the grammar of wheelchair bounded first, and then only after to the PC part.

Why did you spend money? NHS supplies power chairs to those who need them.

There is a long waiting list for the NHS to provide appropriate wheelchairs for people, even for small children. That's why some people prefer to buy their own, rather than wait up to eighteen months for one, which may not be ideal anyway. It's the same with HAs in some parts of the UK.

There is a long waiting list for the NHS to provide appropriate wheelchairs for people, even for small children. That's why some people prefer to buy their own, rather than wait up to eighteen months for one, which may not be ideal anyway. It's the same with HAs in some parts of the UK.

Thanks for the info. :)

It seems like people here think this kind of situation happens to late deafened only. I was born profoundly deaf and I had the same problems as the OP did until I finally became fluent in ASL just about 10 years ago.

It seems like people here think this kind of situation happens to late deafened only. I was born profoundly deaf and I had the same problems as the OP did until I finally became fluent in ASL just about 10 years ago.

Seems more like she does not want to make the effort to learn.

That is an entirely different situation.

Seems more like she does not want to make the effort to learn.

That is an entirely different situation.

How so? Just curious because I must be missing something here. I havent been around much lately. :)

How so? Just curious because I must be missing something here. I havent been around much lately. :)

It's all in post one. "Didn't fancy a sign class"

"Deaf socials are all BSL" etc ad infinitum

I was taught that term by the paraplegic sports organizations we have here...
Huh. That's actually a very inaccurate term among disabilty rights folks. Maybe the paraplegic groups were all folks who aquirred their disabilty and saw themselves as "wheelchair bound, rather then wheelchair users.

I have a friend who calls himself a nickname that is reference, for the straps that hold him in his power chair.

Of course he is autistic and eighteen, so he doesn't have to be too correct.

Last edited:
I may refer to myself as a quad or gimp or wheeler in joke, but I'm offended by others using terms like wheelchair bound, crippled or handicapped. I should be tolerant as I know it comes from ignorance and not meanness. I find the only things that "handicap" me are other people's attitudes, and occasionally gravity (especially stairs).

It really is a matter of sensitivity. Like using the "n" word, or calling someone who is Deaf, "hearing impaired".

I may refer to myself as a quad or gimp or wheeler in joke, but I'm offended by others using terms like wheelchair bound, crippled or handicapped. I should be tolerant as I know it comes from ignorance and not meanness. I find the only things that "handicap" me are other people's attitudes, and occasionally gravity (especially stairs).

It really is a matter of sensitivity. Like using the "n" word, or calling someone who is Deaf, "hearing impaired".

But you could probably say it nicely instead of attacking someone's grammar first, and putting the PC part as an afterthought.

At least I hope so.

Huh. That's actually a very inaccurate term among disabilty rights folks. Maybe the paraplegic groups were all folks who aquirred their disabilty and saw themselves as "wheelchair bound, rather then wheelchair users.

No. Tongue-in-cheek.

Mainstream thinks they can't wrestle, go rock-climbing, kayaking, swimming and so on without adaptive technology.

Still an offensive word nonetheless.

Sorry for blowing things up.

Roserodent, you're new here and it takes us a little while to get to know you and your situation. Please be patient with us. It would help if you could describe your situation in more detail. Maybe I missed your introduction or just forgot some of the details in it.

People here want to be supportive but there are sometimes we misunderstand each other. To say that we're a quirky bunch would be an understatement. lol

I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Because:

There's a very expensive residential course where I can learn to give and receive directions and talk about where I live, strangely something I already have in common with the people at the local group! Everything is geared towards a qualification rather than towards people who want to have normal, human communications with each other. They recently introduced a "family sign" course down south, but it's too far away for me and it's full. I hope it will become very popular and spread a bit closer to home.
Perhaps you should look into some online courses or something along those lines. Learning sign language will probably help close the gap a bit wouldn't you think?

Back