can't hear but typm and reflex normal

zmyr88

Reaction score
so my Girlfriend is experiencing this, sudden deafness but no one seems to really "buy" it.

sure this probally isnt excatly the right area, but didnt find a better place and this is HEALTH related.

anyone have or know a late deafened (sudden hearing loss) and have a abnormal OAE (refer) and a NORMAL typano and reflex?
i think at one point they thought Auditory neuropathy. is that possible if you have a NORMAL typanogram and otoacoustic reflex?
docs seem to think the hearing loss is exagerated. she had 60ish% for speech recognition. but then im not so sure how accurate that is. and if its really only 60ish, that alreaday says a problem, especially if the listening level is 90DB, no?

Can't help ya on if it's true, exaggerated or false but the 60ish% speech recognition at around 90 dB sounds about right. It will vary of course with all people but I know for me it is about 60ish% in my right ear and 72% in my left @115 dB (strange in itself since 4 years ago it was 64% in right and 56% in left @115 db, 9 years ago 40% in right and 50% in left @95 db). Does make me wonder if WHO is giving the test matters too (male this time, previously 100% female).

I am guessing they ruled out blockage (wax) and fluid build up?

Yes it seems, So what is your tympanic response or oae. She does have a refer for both hears for the oae. But tympanic response for both ears? I don't think she had a female do the tests. Do you have neuropathy?

Enviado desde mi iPad con AllDeaf

tympanic response? Is that with tympanometry?

Right: ECV: 1.3 Pressure 35 daPA Compliance: 0.5 ml
Left: ECV: 1.1 Pressure: -60 daPA Compliance 0.3 ml

(left side has always been flatter)

My hearing loss is profound sensorineural (Rubella). No neuropathy.

No the other one. ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1397231662.204623.jpg as in this photo. An example
. Hers are around 90-105

Enviado desde mi iPad con AllDeaf

Ohh okay.. I don't think I have ever had that done.

In doing a little googling to see what exactly an OAE test was I came across this brief explanation-

Otoacoustic Emissions (OAEs)

It does say that anyone with hearing loss greater than 25-30 dB would not have any or poor response (or produce emissions)

More info
OAE - What is an OAE (Otoacoustic Emissions) Hearing Test

Otoacoustic emission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tympanic response IS related to Typanometry which is why I'm confused now. It's different than the OAE- OAE tests the cochlea but for tympanic response that tests the ear drum (tympanic membrame).

Back