cant give up my dog

Sweet3babies

Reaction score
Hi i m new here, I m deaf I need help... When we were looking for a new apt and found apt for me and my son and we told landlord we have the dog, she said yes accpet dog then we went over to her office and signed the papers etc... all sudden she said can't more than under 25 pound. but she didnt tell us about the weight so, my dog is 11 he is mixed collie/ gold ref he is about 50 weight, and we have him since puppy and he knows whoever knock the door he bark. he is smart dog and old dog. so, I need information about have right to keep the dog how do i get service or something?? Please HELP! Thank you

Oh gosh. I would never, ever give up my dogs either, so I know where you're coming from. (Although my dogs are small.)

Have you already moved in? If not, if it were me, I would cancel the lease and look elsewhere if at all possible.

Is the policy about weight limits on dogs listed anywhere at all? If you were not given the information before you signed the lease, and in fact were told that you could have your dog with you, then I think you have a good case to break the lease.

Is your dog well-behaved, quiet, house-broken? You could ask for an exception based on the dog's behaving well.

Is your dog officially a hearing-assistance dog? If so, then you have the right to have it with you. If he barks when someone knocks at the door, that is assistance you need. Maybe you can make a case for him that way.

I would never give up an old dog to someone else. Those are the first dogs to be put down in shelters, because very few people want to adopt an elderly pet. And besides, after all these years, of course you love each other and he is comfortable with you and you with him.

Good luck; do let us know how it turns out.

Tell your landlord you really need your as he tell you know when people are knocking at your door and he keep you safe! I would made it clear your dog help you and that he is like a 'hearing' dog to you! I really feel for you and your dog! I think it stink that you where not told that only small dogs are allowed, was this written on the lease , and did you sign a lease agreement yet?

Some apartment owners will allow "hearing dogs", as we all know....I even was able to waive my pet deposit when I got an apartment years ago.
But property owners have the right to say "no dogs over 25 lbs." etc.

You can sit down and talk with the property manager about ur dog, and how ur dog helps you with ur daily living....if he says "no", those are the rules, then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Most apartment complexes will not accept dogs over 25 lbs., but some will, for special circumstances.

I'm sure many members here can tell youi how to get ur dog certified as a "hearing dog".

It sounds like she did sign the lease already, and THEN was told about the weight limit.

To me, that's grounds for breaking the lease.

I ran into the same problem years ago when I was looking to buy my first condo and had my 55-lb. mixed breed dog at the time. It was always the very first question I asked. Even for owners, some condos (usually the ones in apartment-type buildings) had weight restrictions.

Eventually I bought a ground-floor unit where the condos were spread out more, 6 units to a building, more like a town house kind of arrangement instead of a tall apartment-type building.

I hope the OP can find a place like that. It was perfect for me and my wonderful dog.

Some apartment owners will allow "hearing dogs", as we all know....I even was able to waive my pet deposit when I got an apartment years ago.
But property owners have the right to say "no dogs over 25 lbs." etc.

You can sit down and talk with the property manager about ur dog, and how ur dog helps you with ur daily living....if he says "no", those are the rules, then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Most apartment complexes will not accept dogs over 25 lbs., but some will, for special circumstances.

I'm sure many members here can tell youi how to get ur dog certified as a "hearing dog".

I am not sure if this will be of any help but here a link. I hope it work!

Service Dogs for the Deaf | eHow.com

I am just curious how you had a pet dog for 11 years and did not find out landlords wont take over 25 pound dog in apartments?

You might be able to go to a psychologist and get them to say you need it emotionally.

But a hearing dog gets two years of training.

If the dog means so much, you can pay to break the lease.

It sounds like she did sign the lease already, and THEN was told about the weight limit.

To me, that's grounds for breaking the lease.

I ran into the same problem years ago when I was looking to buy my first condo and had my 55-lb. mixed breed dog at the time. It was always the very first question I asked. Even for owners, some condos (usually the ones in apartment-type buildings) had weight restrictions.

Eventually I bought a ground-floor unit where the condos were spread out more, 6 units to a building, more like a town house kind of arrangement instead of a tall apartment-type building.

I hope the OP can find a place like that. It was perfect for me and my wonderful dog.

I agree the landlord should had told the OP that there was limit on the dog weight! It sound like the landlord only cared about making some money and not about the OP and their dog! What an Ass ! It sure does like grounds for breaking the lease! I live in a condo and got my hearing dog about 10 years later, Finlay weight 47 lb and the trustees knew I had rights left us alone!
I think the OP should called a tenant rights association and fight this! I wonder want else the landlord has gotten away with! Go for it!

I agree the landlord should had told the OP that there was limit on the dog weight! It sound like the landlord only cared about making some money and not about the OP and their dog! What an Ass ! It sure does like grounds for breaking the lease! I live in a condo and got my hearing dog about 10 years later, Finlay weight 47 lb and the trustees knew I had rights left us alone!
I think the OP should called a tenant rights association and fight this! I wonder want else the landlord has gotten away with! Go for it!

I don't think she has a right. Finlay was a hearing dog. I can't see how she didn't know that about weight limits.

Her dog is not a service dog.

Also you are supposed to read the lease. It would have been in there. She signed. She almost certainly will have to pay to break the lease.

Maybe next time she will know read legal papers before you sign.

If anyone wants to say they think she is not capable, she should have taken someone along who can read.

People who don't put their pets welfare first irk me.

She didn't know because, according to her post, first the landlord said dogs were accepted, then after the lease was signed, the landlord said, basically, "Oops, sorry, only dogs smaller than 25 lbs. are accepted."

False pretences, misunderstanding, call it what you will.

Me personally, I'm not much of a fighter. If they have weight limits on dogs, so be it. HOWEVER, she should get her money back if she put down a deposit. Or stop payment on the check, if it has not been deposited yet. That will cost you about $25 or so, probably, with your bank.

Then look elsewhere, and BE SURE to ask right upfront about any weight limits on dogs.

I don't like being deceptive about calling a dog a hearing dog when it isn't. I have made a few steps towards giving Casey some hearing dog training, and was allowed into a library with him on that basis. I explained we were in the very early stages of training and I needed to see how he would do in that environment.

The librarian was very nice about it and let him in, and he was a complete angel, stayed at my feet and snoozed.

But that's not the same thing as calling him a certified hearing dog, which he is a long way from becoming.

Read, read , read, read, read. Her responsibility before entering into a contract.

I think the story is fishy.

I work for a Deaf advocacy agency in California and this is something I made. It's a FAQ for service animals. I send it to anyone who has service dog+general public problems. As you can see, your landlord can't deny your service dog. I hope it helps you...

Q: What are the laws that apply to my business?
A: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.
Q: What is a service animal?
A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.
Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?
A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. You may not insist on proof of certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.
Q: What must I do when an individual with a service animal comes to my business?
A: The service animal must be permitted to accompany the individual with a disability to all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. An individual with a service animal may not be segregated from other customers.
Q: I have a "no pets" policy at my establishment. Do I still have to allow service animals in?
A: Yes. A service animal is not a pet. The ADA requires you to modify your "no pets" policy to allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disability. This does not mean you must abandon your "no pets" policy altogether but simply that you must make an exception to your general rule for service animals.

Q: Can I charge a cleaning fee for customers who bring service animals into my business?
A: No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage so long as it is the regular practice of the entity to charge non-disabled customers for the same types of damages. For example, a hotel can charge a guest with a disability for the cost of repairing or cleaning furniture damaged by a service animal if it is the hotel's policy to charge when non-disabled guests cause such damage.
Q: Am I responsible for the animal while the person with a disability is in my business?
A: No. The care or supervision of a service animal is solely the responsibility of his or her owner. You are not required to provide care or food or a special location for the animal.
10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?
A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat the safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior, like growling, towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.
Although a public accommodation may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it should give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to enjoy its goods and services without having the service animal on the premises.
Q: Can I exclude an animal that doesn't really seem dangerous but is disruptive to my business?
A: There may be a few circumstances when a public accommodation is not required to accommodate a service animal--that is, when doing so would result in a fundamental alteration to the nature of the business. Generally, this is not likely to occur in restaurants, hotels, retail stores, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities. But when it does, for example, when a dog barks during a movie, the animal can be excluded.

For Landlords: www.equipforequality.org/resourcecenter/ada_serviceanimals.pdf Page 4

Of course she has a responsibility. But people make mistakes. Whether it was more her fault or more the landlord's fault, question is what to do now.

Yup, might cost something to get out of it, or might not. Time to act is NOW though, before moving in.

I work for a Deaf advocacy agency in California and this is something I made. It's a FAQ for service animals. I send it to anyone who has service dog+general public problems. As you can see, your landlord can't deny your service dog. I hope it helps you...

Not a service dog. It is a pet.

I don't think she has a right. Finlay was a hearing dog. I can't see how she didn't know that about weight limits.

Her dog is not a service dog.

I wonder just what was written in the lease about dog weight, the OP should read her copy of the lease and see just was it said about pets. I know they should read it carefully before signing it. If the lease does not say anything about pets weight the OP should be allow to keep their dog!

I wonder just what was written in the lease about dog weight, the OP should read her copy of the lease and see just was it said about pets. I know they should read it carefully before signing it. If the lease does not say anything about pets weight the OP should be allow to keep their dog!

True!

the dog is a pet ,the OP did not say it was a service dog, but the dog does let the OP know when people knock on the door. I would love to know if the apartment in on a ground floor and if it could be broken into at night. I am thinking the OP need the dog to warn her if someone try to break while they're sleeping . I trying to think ways the OP can made a strong case to keep her dog. Someone said they should put a stop on the check, I would not do that ! The landlord could take them to court!

welcome to AD :) enjoy hear you tough! dog not easy!

Back