candiate?? (poll)

Do you think I will be qualitify for a CI?

• Total voters

darkangel8603

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I would like to hear your opinion on whether or not I will be a candiate for a CI.

I was born profoundly to severe deaf 18 yrs ago, which mean i am 18 now. I was one of those lucky kids who learned how to talk and read and that stuff when i was little (thanks to my parents and home visiting teacher). So i can talk really well. I wear hearing aids in both ears but lately i have been wearing it in one ear cuz the right hearing aid does not work and is not comfortable. I can hear loud things like airplane if nearby, but silent things like birds, cat meowing, or even people talking i can't hear very well. I relies on lipreading most of the time. I went to a deaf school for 7 years (still attending). hmm i really want to get a ci cuz i believe it can help me hear my family better and i want to become a vet and i will need to hear some things for that careers, breathing, heart beats, etc, and customer talking. Hmm i guess that is all i can say.. so what do u think?

PS when i mean talk really well, i mean that most people who heard me talk thinks i am hard of hearing or have little hearing loss but I alway shock them when i tell them i am profoundly to severe deaf.

Hey you seem to have the same type of hearing i used to have. I lost 60-65% of hearing when i was age 4 or 5. Then just 2 months ago my hearing began to change. Now im near deaf i lost 95% of my hearing cause this stupid doctor gave me the wrong type of blood pressure medication hes gonna become a very poor man when my lawyer gets done with him. If youre hearing is still between 60-30% I recconmend you still get better stronger hearing aid unless you cant hear the words right. If you hearing has droped 80-95% deaf you might get your hearing back. But nobody here told me i can still hear music with a CI. Can you still hear music with your hearing aid? If so stick what you have untill your hearing gets worse when a hearing aid does you no good then go to a CI .

Hey darkangel! I would definitly go for the CI! If you can't really hear speech now with aids, even a small percentage of speech, then I think it is time for a CI. It would help you a lot! Even if you just got say a small percentage of speech from the CI, it sounds like it would be much better then with hearing aids! Don't worry about not being accepted by some deafies....I know there are people against CI but it's slowly but surely becoming more accepted! Do you have an older Deaf friend that you could talk to about this? I bet within ten or twenty years Deafies won't even think TWICE about CIs.

Actually, no. I became profoundly deaf at 4, hearing aides worked for me for a while, I could, like you, hear airplanes and cars, and even tell when someone was talking, and sometimes I could pick up a little bit of what they were saying. I spoke fairly well, and then I got a CI. at first, it worked, not perfectly, but i could hear more things, cats meowing, birds tweeting, and that was wonderful, then i started to realize... my speech hadn't gotten better (and yes, i went to speech therapy and CI therapy) my hearing hadnt improved past that point, i still struggled to understand what people were saying, i couldn't tell the difference between a male's voice or a female's voice, i could only understand simple words like my name, no, mom, dad, hello, things like that without looking at the person's lips, and etc. about 5 years after i got the CI, i stopped wearing it, and I'm glad I did. I had started to get frequent headaches while wearing it, and I would get electrical charges more frequently than normal. People have so many positive things to say about CI's, but you should look @ both sides. I, also, want to be a vet, and it's possible even without a CI. :)

again.. its hard to say..

to be able to be a candiate for a CI varietys widely from each CI center

as for mine, to be a Candiate, (adult) is to have some hearing expierence in past or tharefore lose hearing over the years
- make sure ur cochlea is in good shape with fluids inside
- how well you really want it and why. (if you aren't serisouly considering on having it then you're not a canidate and they'll most likely not going to give you operation)

i took a hearing test with my hearing aids.. i had to tell the difference between noise and voice which i got 80% right on those
another test is tell if the 2 words are the same like Baseball, Baseball or different like Baseball Basketball i got 84% right on that test

therefore i'm a candiate and the next test is a talk with physicology to make sure how much i really want it then the surgery date is set..

so.. those are examples that my center is for the candiate test.. some centers want to do a balance test.. some want to do more.. it depends on each centers.

also to add some more... most centers who are doing their research.. whatever cause you to have hearing loss such as menigits.. in most case if a menigits aren't successful after CI hook-up.. then they'll most likely not going to say that you're a Candiate..

it doesn't hurt to try.. giving a try and they'll explain everything how it works, the risk, and so forth.. make sure you have an interpreter and (yes i wish i bring someone with) someone with you to hear all those information.. i'm telling ya.. too much information to put in my head
once you give a try.. they'll tell you if you're candiate or not it doesn't hurt..

People have so many positive things to say about CI's, but you should look @ both sides.
Exactly. I mean I don't doubt that there are people for whom the CI has been an amazing sucess, but just b/c they've had amazing sucess, it doesn't mean that ALL implantees acheive such good listening levels. Nobody knows why some implantees acheive hoh listening levels and others only get not as good benifit.

I think that bottom line is to let it be the people's choice. There's nothing we can do to make people think the way we want about CI. There's nothing wrong with finding out if you will hear more or not. I have never hated hearing. I always loved to hear every piece of sound I could find my whole life. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have normal hearing if you had the choice. I think sound is beautiful...if you can see that. If people are curious and want to find out...allow them without judgement. They are finding something for themselves that we are not or may not understand.

I had started to get frequent headaches while wearing it, and I would get electrical charges more frequently than normal.

It sounds like an internal device problem. While you may not wear the CI again, it's a good idea to get a check up on the inside of your ear to make sure it's nothing else in the years to come.

I know you will qualify for a CI. From your description, there's no reason you shouldn't qualify. If they tell you no, go to another center. There's just no reason you won't. I wish you the best of luck. Don't forget to set aside a spare of your time to therapy!

TiaraPrincess said:
It sounds like an internal device problem. While you may not wear the CI again, it's a good idea to get a check up on the inside of your ear to make sure it's nothing else in the years to come.

after i stopped wearing it, i haven't gotten any headaches (except for the norm once in a while headaches.)

lilredridinhood said:
after i stopped wearing it, i haven't gotten any headaches (except for the norm once in a while headaches.)

Maybe you need to re-mapping then u wont have headache.

Lianca said:
Maybe you need to re-mapping then u wont have headache.

I agree. If you didn't have headache from the start of wearing a CI. If it just began to show up, then you might need a remapping. Just letting you know there can be options. Your settings might be in the wrong places for you.

and the next test is a talk with physicology to make sure how much i really want it
Is the psychlogist appointment mandatory? I really think it should be mandatory (especially for parents of pediatric implantees) b/c I see SO MANY parents and potential implantees seeing the implant as a "cure"
Actucally darkangel, I think going to a psycologist might be a good idea for you. It does sound like you have a realistic view of a CI and aren't doing it to appear more hearing, but I think that going to a professoional psych is a good idear.

I voted maybe because you need to take a specialized evaluation to determine qualification to get one. you need both CI surgeon and Audiologist evaluation to set things in motion... then insurance is another hurdle.

ci

all you have to do is go see the ci doctor and he will set you up tests to see wether you quailify for it ,i have two my seven yr old son has two too :cheers:

i suspect that some people got
some allergic reactions to CI.
Headaches are one of these symptoms.

deafdyke,
The psychology evaluation was required by my center, but because I was almost an adult they did let me skip that. I don't think they should have because you just never know. I think it should be required for people under 18 years and adults deaf since childhood.

Y said:
i suspect that some people got
some allergic reactions to CI.
Headaches are one of these symptoms.

I have never heard of allergic reactions from a CI. What do you mean specifically? Yes, I have heard of headaches as a symptom. However, if it appeared later out of nowhere, then it should be checked out to make sure of the original problem causing it.

I have never heard of allergic reactions from a CI.
I wasn't the orginal poster but maybe he was saying that the body could react negatively to the internal implant parts. Sort of an autoimmune reaction.

I think it should be required for people under 18 years and adults deaf since childhood.
I agree....and I think intensive counseling should be required for parents of deaf kids. I just think there are too many parents out there who are desperately seeking a cure and latch onto the CI as a cure. Yes, I know that those parents have ALWAYS been around....but still....some of the parents out there really need to come to terms with the fact that there's only ONE thing different about their kids!

Back