Canceled surgery

ismi

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to let you know that my surgery has been canceled (actually, I suppose postponed is more accurate, but it sort of feels like it's been canceled).

I've had problems with intubation in the past, so they decided to give me sedatives and do the intubation while I was awake. That lets them take more time to get it right, and they can back out and give up if things go wrong, since I'd still be able to breathe (because I wouldn't be under anesthetic). Anyway, turns out my gag reflex is too strong for that, and they gave up after about two hours of trying. Actually, it was a pretty cool experience, and not nearly as unpleasant as I had anticipated. Plan B is to do it the normal way with me asleep, and have a team standing by to do a tracheotomy (which I'd then leave in for a few months) in case they couldn't get the tube in. Unfortunately, the sedatives meant that I wasn't competent to give my consent for that, so we have to reschedule.

So now I'm sitting at home feeling a bit dizzy from the sedatives and eating ice cream to cool my now-raw throat. Hopefully the surgery will be rescheduled soon, but the surgeon is going on vacation for a few weeks in June, so I don't know when.

Sorry to hear that. You must have been disappointed. However, it's good that your medical team is taking such care with you, considering your history with intubation problems. I hope the next time is successful for you and you don't have to wait long for your date.

I"m sorry that happened, but hopefully things will go better next time!

I'm sorry to hear that ismi.I worked with alot of paitents with the opposite problem -dysphasia were people had no or little gag reflex and had to have their food and liquids thickened so not to choke.These were usually older folks or stroke victims,so on the up side might be good for you in your golden years! Good Luck!

I had my surgery postponed to April 24 from Feb 20th due to problems getting my diabetes under control.

Hopefully, this will be the last time this happens to you.

Hope you are feeling better today and that you won't have to wait too long for your surgery.

I'm also sorry to hear this and hope all goes well next time. I'll be crossing my fingers for you that it does! :)

I'm sorry that things didn't go well for you. :( But it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Mmmm . . . any excuse for ice cream! :P

Back