Can you understand lipreading well?

exactly, it's the pink gum i'm looking at. you crack me up now :lol:

i'm sorry, it's my bad. i know it's not funny but i couldn't help it.

I know :giggle:

I am real good at lip reading except for people that talk too fast,no teeth and with an accent.

OR if someone has long bushy mustache or beard.

My dad has a bushy mustache and sometimes I have trouble understanding him, so he would lift up his mustache so I could lip read him. goofyie :lol:

I can lipread sometimes but not as in a full conversation. I just look for the key words and take it from there. I don't like people talking too fast or mumble and with some food in their mouth.

Last year, I went to have my nails done. A woman keep talking to me with her white mask on that covers her mouth and nose. I had to tell her to take her mask down so I can read her lip and she refuses. Then another customer who saw my situation step in and explain to her that I need to read her lip. Then a lady took her mask down everytime she need to talk to me.

:lol:

I do that too sometime when they ask me if I can read their lips. When I say no, the worse part is, they continue to talk as if they didn't catch the "meaning" of it. :roll:

You could say, "not much, " instead of, "no." Perhaps suggest pen and paper after your answer. It will give them a clearer message. Don't know if you thought of a different answer. Try it, maybe they'll get the message.

I read their lips pretty good but depend on how I hardly read is their fast mouth movement... long mustache, heavy beard or too thin mouth...

I used to consider myself an expert lipreader not very long ago. But if I were such an expert, I don't think it would drive me crazy after only a few sentences now. Well, not NOW now, like over last week or so. Right now, I discovered I can't read lips at all. I think it's because of the drugs, lol. I got an IM from my mom last night telling me that my dad has been pounding on my door for the past ten minutes. At the same time, my phone vibrated, and it was my dad. I went to the door and there he was talking to me, and I couldn't understand him at all!

Oh, on a side note, my mom is taking an ASL class and trying to teach my dad. You might think that's a terrible idea, but my mom is really good! Anyway, back to the story. Finally, I reminded him that I'm on prescription drugs.

So, he started signing to me, (This is the literal meaning that came to my mind as he struggled to sign his very rough ASL) "You decided to touch a yellow rocker typing twin sodas in love together." Believe it or not, that was much easier to understand than his lips.

He meant, "Do you feel like playing a computer game with me?" He's trying. Believe me, the only way I understood that is that I know what signs he mixes up, and the fact that he tends to sign in English word order, and he doesn't know how to express questions.

If it were my sister, she stretches her mouth out when she's nervous, so all I can see are her teeth, and there is no movement, so impossible to understand that!

You could say, "not much, " instead of, "no." Perhaps suggest pen and paper after your answer. It will give them a clearer message. Don't know if you thought of a different answer. Try it, maybe they'll get the message.

Yeah, I could have approached it in a different way. Most of the time, I'd request for a pen and a paper if I don't understand what they are talking about. I've had no problem when they were more than willing to write it down on a paper.

How much more of answering "no" could be ever clearer? Normally, I'd answer and say "Somewhat. If I don't understand you, please write it down on a paper." It is just that when I am asked the same question constantly, It gets annoying from time to time and I would throw in a sarcasm and say "No, but I can understand what you're saying". That usually throws them off. :)

For some strange reason, I find lipreading British people a lot easier than Americans. Hmmm.

I can readlips very well. I LOVE reading my friend's lip at work saying FUCK or DAMNIT or BS! It was sooo funny. I hate reading the old fart man's lip with mustache because it was so hard and hide his mouth. GRR!!! :crazy:Also hate the old lady whisper very small...UGH!!! I wish they have a big mouth to speak out for us. LOL!!!! :laugh2:

Like many of you have said. It's easier to read the people we know. I'm sure I'm not the only one that when someone I don't know talks to me and I can't understand them I instantly look to a person I do know to repeat it for me because I can understand them better.

In an effort of try to explain a little of what it's like to hearing people who have asked about it. I tell them that it's a bit like playing the TV game show Wheel of fortune. Quite often we only pick up bits and pieces of what they say. Not always every word they speak but from the bits we pick up, sentence structure and a little imagination we often have to fill in the blanks.

For example if they said the fallowing sentence and the blanks equal the words we couldn't pick up by lip reading:

"I'm _____ to the store. Do you want ______?"

We have to either have it repeated of fill in the blanks.

"I'm going to the store. Do you want anything?"

That may not be the best example but I hope you know what I mean.

I tell them that sometimes it takes a minute to fill in the blanks. That's why sometimes I ask them to repeat what they say and before they finish I go, "Oh, ok......" then I answer them. It's because it just dawned on me what they said. It also explains why lip reading can cause head aches and make you tired if you do it for a long period of time. Brain work can wear you out faster then physical work.

They need a new name for lip reading because it's as wrong of a term as Ventriloquism is. The word Ventriloquism means to speak from the belly and that's not how it works. Lip reading isn't lip reading at all. Yes, their lips are part of what we read but it's also the teeth, tongue, eyes, nose, eyebrows, body, arms. In other words it's reading a combination of all visual communication such as facial expressions and body language. The "mouth" does present the actual words/letter sounds they are making but that's a very small part of it.

I've asked quite a few people to take their sunglasses off when talking to me because of this. :)

Ron Jaxon

Hey pepsi you made my night! This is so hilarius!!! what a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!! yes im HOH n deaf!

Like many of you have said. It's easier to read the people we know. I'm sure I'm not the only one that when someone I don't know talks to me and I can't understand them I instantly look to a person I do know to repeat it for me because I can understand them better.

In an effort of try to explain a little of what it's like to hearing people who have asked about it. I tell them that it's a bit like playing the TV game show Wheel of fortune. Quite often we only pick up bits and pieces of what they say. Not always every word they speak but from the bits we pick up, sentence structure and a little imagination we often have to fill in the blanks.

For example if they said the fallowing sentence and the blanks equal the words we couldn't pick up by lip reading:

"I'm _____ to the store. Do you want ______?"

We have to either have it repeated of fill in the blanks.

"I'm going to the store. Do you want anything?"

That may not be the best example but I hope you know what I mean.

I tell them that sometimes it takes a minute to fill in the blanks. That's why sometimes I ask them to repeat what they say and before they finish I go, "Oh, ok......" then I answer them. It's because it just dawned on me what they said. It also explains why lip reading can cause head aches and make you tired if you do it for a long period of time. Brain work can wear you out faster then physical work.
They need a new name for lip reading because it's as wrong of a term as Ventriloquism is. The word Ventriloquism means to speak from the belly and that's not how it works. Lip reading isn't lip reading at all. Yes, their lips are part of what we read but it's also the teeth, tongue, eyes, nose, eyebrows, body, arms. In other words it's reading a combination of all visual communication such as facial expressions and body language. The "mouth" does present the actual words/letter sounds they are making but that's a very small part of it.

I've asked quite a few people to take their sunglasses off when talking to me because of this. :)

Ron Jaxon

Yea, I experience the same thing whenever I spend a good amount of time lipreading. I end up having to rub my eyes constantly.

OR if someone has long bushy mustache or beard.

My dad has a bushy mustache and sometimes I have trouble understanding him, so he would lift up his mustache so I could lip read him. goofyie :lol:

I agree with you Angel a mustache can make it hard to lip read.

Angel, maybe it would also help if you put lipsitck on your Dad, too. *ducking and running for dear life*

Yep, I can read lips, I'm a PSE and ASL user which is why I can read lips so well unless if people are speaking too fast. I was born hearing and became deaf a few years later. ;)

Back