Can you help me with a presentation?

carinsch

Reaction score
Hello!
I´m studying special needs education in heidelberg, germany. next week i have to do a presentation on the topic "views on the deaf community"- society vs how they see their position themselves
I have to report on the situation in an english speaking country.
I talked to deaf and hoh people in germany... but this doesn`t help me in this case....
Perhaps you can help me with individual statements?
I want to present a authentic view and not to only repeat things I read in books...
Thanks,
carinsch

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for from us?

You said that you are trying to get the "views on the deaf community" are you trying to get opinion from deaf people, from hearing people that are involved with the deaf community, from hearing people that have no connection with the deaf community?

I would be more than willing to help, but I am unsure as to what exactly you are asking for.

Oh...sorry
It would be very nice if you could tell me some statements how you see yourself in society. the germans i talked to don´t feel very integrated, because in Germany so few people are able to sign and perhaps also because of the seperated school system... In how far do you benfit from the new technical inventions for example... my presentation starts with showing the different views non deaf people have on the deaf community.... and it would be nice to go on with describing how you see yourselves in society... something like that

Oh...sorry
It would be very nice if you could tell me some statements how you see yourself in society. the germans i talked to don´t feel very integrated, because in Germany so few people are able to sign and perhaps also because of the seperated school system... In how far do you benfit from the new technical inventions for example... my presentation starts with showing the different views non deaf people have on the deaf community.... and it would be nice to go on with describing how you see yourselves in society... something like that

Well in America we have separated school systems, as well. But we also have some deaf or hoh students that decide to be main streamed (regular school). And in America, I would dare to say that sign language isnt readily known through out the states, in a manner in which would make communication or integration any easier.

I am hearing, but I have a deaf girlfriend, deaf friends, and I work as a house parent for deaf children at the deaf school here. My view of the deaf community is a very up beat view. I dont really focus on the differences, but more focus on what we have in common. I mean after all, I just dont think its that big of a deal. I think its important for everyone to feel included. Its not just deaf people that feel isolated. Since I am hearing, but i work and surround my self with mostly deaf people, its actually me that ends up feeling different. But its not a worry I have, I actually have a sincere admiration for the deaf community. I love how they really stick together, show a strong sense of community and devotion to each other. I think its amazing how the deaf community perseveres and overcomes any and all obstacles that are put before them.

Well, that does really help me, thank you... my presentation is next week... is there anything deaf or hoh people in america want hearing germans to know... general or also personal things... what scould we know about the deaf community in america?
:cuddle: :cuddle: :confused:

Back