Can you help me please :)

mrs_F

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

My name is Flóra and I am a student at Karlstad University in (middle) Sweden. Right now I am writing my bachelor's thesis in psychology. My goal with the thesis is to gain a broader understanding of how deaf people perceive themselves and hearing people. I also want a better understanding of people's attitudes on CI, cochlea implantation.

I am looking for respondents to my study to gain further knowledge of deaf people´s subjective opinions on these subjects.

If you are interested in participating in the study, please contact me. The interviews can be done by mail or other form of chat, what ever suits you.

I guarantee full confidentiality and no one can find out that I have interviewed you.

If you are interested to participate as an informant in my study or if you have any additional questions, please contact me.

I realize that you must be really tired of all these stupid questions from” the hearing world” :hmm: . But I would be truly greatful if you could help me with this study. I belive that the hearing world should gain a lot by learning more from deaf people instead of listening to a medical viewpoint.

Looking forward to interviewing you.

Sincerely

Flóra Forsberg

teacherstudent, Karlstad University

E-mail: flora.forsberg@yahoo.com

Hi everybody!

My name is Flóra and I am a student at Karlstad University in (middle) Sweden. Right now I am writing my bachelor's thesis in psychology. My goal with the thesis is to gain a broader understanding of how deaf people perceive themselves and hearing people. I also want a better understanding of people's attitudes on CI, cochlea implantation.

I am looking for respondents to my study to gain further knowledge of deaf people´s subjective opinions on these subjects.

If you are interested in participating in the study, please contact me. The interviews can be done by mail or other form of chat, what ever suits you.

I guarantee full confidentiality and no one can find out that I have interviewed you.

If you are interested to participate as an informant in my study or if you have any additional questions, please contact me.

I realize that you must be really tired of all these stupid questions from” the hearing world” :hmm: . But I would be truly greatful if you could help me with this study. I belive that the hearing world should gain a lot by learning more from deaf people instead of listening to a medical viewpoint.

Looking forward to interviewing you.

Sincerely

Flóra Forsberg

teacherstudent, Karlstad University

E-mail: flora.forsberg@yahoo.com

That is all you can think about us being the objects of your thinking of the researching and us being from the medical point of view. :roll:

No wonder that is why we don't like answering the questions like as if we can learn to use CI or hearing aids to be able to speak, read lips without no sign language interpreters and be able to hear without reading lips. We have been at it for years to try to explain to hearing people that we don't want those things as we would like to be left alone as Deaf people or HOH (Hard of Hearing) people. Sign Language is our primary language to communicate. We choose what we want to do in education and in public. But if some of the ADers want to answer your questions, then that is their business to answer your questions. :hmm:

Thank you for your answer

That is all you can think about us being the objects of your thinking of the researching and us being from the medical point of view. :roll:

No wonder that is why we don't like answering the questions like as if we can learn to use CI or hearing aids to be able to speak, read lips without no sign language interpreters and be able to hear without reading lips. We have been at it for years to try to explain to hearing people that we don't want those things as we would like to be left alone as Deaf people or HOH (Hard of Hearing) people. Sign Language is our primary language to communicate. We choose what we want to do in education and in public. But if some of the ADers want to answer your questions, then that is their business to answer your questions. :hmm:

Hi! Thank you for taking time to read my post. I do understand and respect your feelings and I have had a lot of this discussions with my deaf friends. It is thanks to my friends who are deaf that I realize how important this subject is. I am a foreigner so there are no questions ask that I have a different culture then the swedish people. But many people forget that my friends, who are deaf, has a culture as well.. Me and my deaf friends belive that in Sweden people listen to doctors and their are not a visible deaf culture in Sweden so many swedish people see deafness as a medical view. That´s not my point of view. My friends are very proad to be deaf and I hope that many other people are pride of who they are aswell, no matter if they are a part of the hearing world or the deaf world, if they are from an other contrey etc. My aim with the study was to open up hearing peoples eyes about the different cultures in Sweden.

My last thesis has been about other culture groups, and this time I wanted to get a bigger understandig about the deaf culture.

I do understand that you were upset about the CI questions, and I am sorry that I have offended you.. The reason I have that question is that my friends have really opend my eyes and explained to me why they are against CI, and I do understand that point of view. Now when I read about the deaf history I understand it even more.

Once again, I am sorry if I have offended you, I was prepared that there would be people that was offended. I just felt that this is a important issue, and I do hope that some one here can answer my question so the hearing world would have a bigger understanding about different culture, even if it is to "yell", like you just did.. I think people need that sometimes.

I wish you a wonderful evening!

Sincerly Flóra!

Ps. I think you have a wonderful language which I try to learn ..

Back