Can you forgive cheating?

Strong

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

If your partner (spouse, bf/gf, etc.) comes to you crying and confesses from his heart that s/he has cheated on you, would you forgive him or her?

By cheating, I mean having sex. Not holding hands or lingering kisses.

Last edited:
I don't know that this question applies to me, since I'm poly. However, I will give you my early experience prior to being poly. My first gf admitted cheating on me, and of course I felt so hurt I wanted to die that day. I was taken under observation overnight and taken home by my sister the next day. It really, really sucked. I mean, I blew up at work and walked off the job. I quit college after the end of the semester. My world crashed that day. I never forgave her until I began to understand polyamory and how monogamy forces people who are naturally poly into "cheating" situations like this.

If you are fans of The Vampire Diaries, you'll remember that Katherine, who brought both Damon and Stefan across during the Civil War period, mentioned while Damon was recovering from a werewolf bite that Elena could learn to love both men, as Katherine did.

I think that a nascent movement is underway, and I have seen it grow over time in the last 10 years. People are beginning to learn what it means to be able to love more than one person at a time. The key is, there has to be open communication between all people involved. Whatever issues that are experienced in a typical monogamous relationship can be magnified in a poly relationship, so it is important to discuss this with them. Poly doesn't mean sex with everyone. You find people who are open and honest, and they fit with you in different ways, one person giving you something the other person doesn't, and so on.

Just one way to look at it.

once a cheater, always a cheater.

Trust is one of the most important things we look for when seeking a life-time partner....And when they cheat...the trust goes out the window. Never 100% again and always the suspicion(s)....

My sister was the one who chose to stay in her marriage, even tho' her husband cheated, time and time again....She's not happy and hasn't been happy in years....It was her choice, tho'....

And it's true in most cases, once a cheater, always a cheater....

Forgive, yes but forget and remain in the relationship..no.

Of course not. Unless you have zero self esteem.

No. Been cheated on and it's hard to deal with.

Thing is, if you let it go, it will happen again.

No where in my marriage vows does it say to forgive if your spouse cheats. If people would work on their marriage as much as they do trying to cheat, then there would be no need to cheat IMO!!! Some people get married and stop putting the work it takes to sustain a long marriage luckily I am not one of them. Even though our vows "in sickness and in health" have been tested over and over, we still love each other and would never cheat.

To paraphrase my user name: the "cheater must earn the trust which one breaks". Fatal? Explaining "why". How long to meet the other parties' trust? The "burden" falls on the person cheating!
Symbolic activity which symbolizes- love for other. Important?

Many talk, but few are up to the moment. While it would be easy for me to say that I would not put up with it, I would not, at this point in time, be taking into account such things as children, how much time I've spent with this person, whether I want to end something that took years to build over it, etc.

Yes, I wouldn't put up with it, but I'm old enough to understand why other people do.

There's one quote that I read about the cheaters? "It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver"

Forgive, yes but forget and remain in the relationship..no.

That is pretty much how I feel.

Now, if my wife cheated on me, and it was because I neglected her emotional or physical needs, I would be very forgiving.....if it was for other selfish reasons, I would not be so forgiving.

It is true, the cheater has to earn his/her trust, which will never be 100% as I have learned.

Not happy in your relationship? Leave that person first before trying out others.

I wouldn't want to be with someone that just exposed me to a STD or AIDS, just because he wanted to find himself. I'd have more respect for a person that was honest enough to admit they weren't happy. People forget, there's still no cure for AIDS. Someone that cheats on their partner exposes them to every, single, person they've slept with. A person who cheats once, will continue to so until they're caught...and they can never be trusted again.

Laura

I wouldn't want to be with someone that just exposed me to a STD or AIDS, just because he wanted to find himself. I'd have more respect for a person that was honest enough to admit they weren't happy. People forget, there's still no cure for AIDS. Someone that cheats on their partner exposes them to every, single, person they've slept with. A person who cheats once, will continue to so until they're caught...and they can never be trusted again.

Laura

If you don't want expose to HIV or STD so don't sex at all.

HIV causes AIDS.

That is pretty much how I feel.

Now, if my wife cheated on me, and it was because I neglected her emotional or physical needs, I would be very forgiving.....if it was for other selfish reasons, I would not be so forgiving.

It is true, the cheater has to earn his/her trust, which will never be 100% as I have learned.

Not happy in your relationship? Leave that person first before trying out others.

Much agreed....so many men & women go thru what's called "the mid-life crisis"....and after they cheat...realize it was all a big mistake and beg for forgiveness. And moreso than not, it's the woman that most likely will give the man another chance...As for the men, it's a big blow to their ego.

If a partner is considering "cheating"...then he's only thinking of himself. Being honest with ur partner, let them know what makes you happy.

One of my friends was so devasated when her husband left her after 25 years of marriage for his "younger" secretary....She died of a broken heart.

Much agreed....so many men & women go thru what's called "the mid-life crisis"....and after they cheat...realize it was all a big mistake and beg for forgiveness. And moreso than not, it's the woman that most likely will give the man another chance...As for the men, it's a big blow to their ego.

If a partner is considering "cheating"...then he's only thinking of himself. Being honest with ur partner, let them know what makes you happy.

One of my friends was so devasated when her husband left her after 25 years of marriage for his "younger" secretary....She died of a broken heart.

:(

Most spouses would probably be surprised by how much cheating actuallt occurs in their marriage. Just from talking to guys I know I see that they feel there is nothing wrong with looking for sexual adventure outside the marriage. Probably why I don't have close male friends . Most guys like to brag about their exploits

Back