Can You Answer a Few Questions For Me?

seiuchiblarg

Reaction score
Hello everybody, my name is Max and I'm researching (for school) the Deaf Community and its role as a Political demographic. If I could have just a few minutes of your time to get answers to each of these questions from American Deaf people, I would appreciate it very much. This will help me and my class to understand what Deaf people want and expect from their government, and how the levels of Hearing Loss may or may not effect that. I will be asking questions about you as Deaf people and the other demographics to which you belong, and also questions about how you feel in regards to the current political field.

I'm going to other Deaf forums with these questions, as well as performing personal interviews with a few of my Deaf friends, to gather as large a sample as possible. No one person will have their answers revealed in the results of this project, and if you wanted to contact me through personal message instead of posting your answers here, that would be absolutely welcome. Note that this is not a scientific study.

1) What is your level of hearing loss? (Hearing/Hard-of-Hearing/deaf/Profoundly deaf)

2) How old are you? (17 or younger/18-25/26-35/36-55/56-65/65 and older)

3) What is your gender? (Male/Female/Other)

4) What is your ethnicity? (Caucasian/African American/Latino/Asian American/American Indian/Arab American/Other)

5) What was the last level of schooling you completed? (Middle School/High School/General Equivalency/Associates/Bachelor's/Beyond)

6) Are you Registered to Vote? (Yes/no)

7) Do you identify as part of one of these political parties? (Democrat/Republican/Libertarian/Green/other)

8) How much does Deafness influence your vote on a given election year? (Completely/hugely/some/a little/not at all)

9) Do you feel underrepresented or unheard by the government? (Strongly/Somewhat/A Little/Not at All)

10) Do you feel that, as a Deaf person, information is harder for you to access? (Strongly/Somewhat/A Little/Not at All)

Oh, I've scrolled through each page where discussion on these issues is encouraged or allowed on this forum already, while beginning the preparation of this survey a week ago. No individual member answered each question independently of these questions being asked. I also need an individual topic to which I can link as a source for my project, which I couldn't get if I used random topics here. Lastly, I wouldn't be able to use the information I glossed from other topics without getting the consent of each member who posted in them. This allows me to solve all of those problems and get the first wide-reaching survey of the Deaf Community done.

1) What is your level of hearing loss? (Hearing/Hard-of-Hearing/deaf/Profoundly deaf)

During the day - HOH, afterhours - deafer than a rock in the middle of the desert.

somewhere between 36-55

Last I checked, I was a male. Someone called me a pussy the other day, so I am not sure now...

4) What is your ethnicity? (Caucasian/African American/Latino/Asian American/American Indian/Arab American/Other)

A mixture of a bunch of pub drinkers from Western Europe.

5) What was the last level of schooling you completed? (Middle School/High School/General Equivalency/Associates/Bachelor's/Beyond)

Grad school

I think so...haven't voted for anyone in awhile....they all suck.

7) Do you identify as part of one of these political parties? (Democrat/Republican/Libertarian/Green/other)

Not anymore.

8) How much does Deafness influence your vote on a given election year? (Completely/hugely/some/a little/not at all)

Zero.

9) Do you feel underrepresented or unheard by the government? (Strongly/Somewhat/A Little/Not at All)

I am pretty sure all of us feel that way, deaf or not.

10) Do you feel that, as a Deaf person, information is harder for you to access? (Strongly/Somewhat/A Little/Not at All)

Back when I was a caveman, yeah, it was difficult, but, these days, with the technology we have at our disposal, information is easy to get. In fact, it is way too easy to get....

1) HOH -moderate to severe left, severe to profound right (with hearing aids on).
2) 45
3) Female
4) Sicilian-American
5) M.Ed.
6) Yes
7) Independent
8) Not at all
9) Not at all
10) Somewhat, I hate using the phone and that I always have to call for info. Would love a hearing dog - no room nor money for one and too many rules for placing the animal.

Good luck with your paper. :)

Laura

Not to spam or anything, but I'd really like as many answers to this as possible for the sake of realistic sampling. If I don't get enough people, I won't be able to use it!

Just tell your teacher stop preying on poor Deaf Community. We are getting so many "answer my questions for my research for school" in here. And it made us feel like we are lab rats for people like you.

Sorry, if I come by bit rude and it's getting bit annoying now.

I'm sorry if you feel that way, I certainly don't mean to make anybody feel like guinea pigs or lab rats! My teacher is actually Deaf herself, and she was very excited to hear I was looking into this. I know I shouldn't expect her reaction to be every Deaf person's reaction, but I'm sort of hoping that the maority of the Deaf community can be excited about a chance to make their voice heard. If enough people respond to this and I get a good-sized sample, I can use that data!

I feel like this when you asked those questions;

headache.gif

severe to profound
female
caucasian
Bachelors
yes
Green
not at all
strongly
not at all

I appreciate that you have to do this for class, but as for "a chance to make their voice heard"- I, like all the other Deaf/HOH people I know, are perfectly capable of making our voices heard for ourselves.

1) HOH Moderate to Severe
2) 26-35
3) I'm a lady
4) Caucasian
5) MS
6) Yes
7) I'm a Democrat, but I don't support parties in general and think that George Washington was right when he said, "However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
8) My instinct is to say "Not at all," but I can't really pull the deafness out of me and see if I'd still vote the same way. Since our experiences shape our world view to some degree, I assume that it does affect my voting choices in some, if small, capacity.
9) Not at all.
10) A (very) little. When I was a kid it was moreso, without the web and when TV cc was crap. Now I find the only info that I don't really have access to is some online video content. But NAD is working on that now.

Back