can Vegetarian eat insect?

PowerON

Reaction score
just wonder. :cool:

since I read that basic that vegetarian do not eat animal which the define said mammal, nothing else.

So, my thought they could eat honey? Or eat actual insect? I seen on weblog that China eat baby before adult bee. They claim it's good. Yet, it make me think if it's okay for vegetarian to eat as long as it's not mammal, right? What about fish?

:bump:

I'm not a vegetarian so let's expect to get a reply from a real vegetarian.

I wonder their replies about insects and fish ,as well :)

Interesting thread...

Vegetarian eat anything except meats which different as Vegan. Vegan do not eat milk products, fish, eggs, meats, fish, etc. honey?

I am thrilling to get the reply from some Vegans on your thread here about that honey.

The Asians eat insects in asia countries and said that it's high protein... :eek3:

The Asians eat insects in asia countries and said that it's high protein... :eek3:

I saw it on TV and I was like :barf:

here is a photo

51GMD81V27L._AA240_.jpg

I'm Vegetarian for 5 years
duh, we cannot eat anything from any living thing such as birds, mammals, fish and include insects!

I'm Vegetarian for 5 years
duh, we cannot eat anything from any living thing such as birds, mammals, fish and include insects!
Exactly! Vegetarians and vegans do not eat any sentient beings.

A lot of people are confused on what vegetarians and vegans eat because a lot of people like to use the label but don't adhere to its definition.

A vegetarian by definition is:
A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products.

On the other hand a vegan is:
Vegans choose not to eat any foods derived from living or dead animals - no meat of any kind (no red meat, poultry, white meat, fish etc.), no animal milks (no cow's dairy products, nor sheep, goats etc.), no eggs, no honey, nor any other animal products (no gelatin, cochineal, shellac etc.). Vegans also do not use products or wear clothes that have been tested on animals or have animal ingredients in them.

On the other hand a vegan is:
Vegans choose not to eat any foods derived from living or dead animals - no meat of any kind (no red meat, poultry, white meat, fish etc.), no animal milks (no cow's dairy products, nor sheep, goats etc.), no eggs, no honey, nor any other animal products (no gelatin, cochineal, shellac etc.). Vegans also do not use products or wear clothes that have been tested on animals or have animal ingredients in them.

Thank you for answer my question #3 about honey... That's what I thought so because Vegans do not eat milk products, etc where it come from animals. I just thought about honey when PowerON question about insects.

Thank you for answer my question #3 about honey... That's what I thought so because Vegans do not eat milk products, etc where it come from animals. I just thought about honey when PowerON question about insects.

because honey was produced from honey bee, that's part of liquid from animal.

Yup, they can't drink milk from cows or goats, only soy milk or rice milk.

because honey was produced from honey bee, that's part of liquid from animal.

Yup, they can't drink milk from cows or goats, only soy milk or rice milk.

Yes, Vegan do not eat and drink foods and liquids where it come from animals and insects... because it's belong to animals/insects, not ours...

The bees who "steal" (kidding :giggle:) took some from our flowers to produce the honey with liquid...... ...

Happy class, J! :)

I am a vegetarian. I don't eat meat. But I eat dairy and honey. I wear leather but not fur.

I know there are many words for the different types of people who don't eat animals or animal products, but I don't know the exact words. Here are some definitions from the net:

From International Vegetarian Union: FAQs - defitinions

Vegetarian: For the purpose of membership of IVU, vegetarianism includes veganism and is defined as the practice of not eating meat, poultry or fish or their by-products, with or without the use of dairy products or eggs.

Often broken down further into OVO-LACTO, and LACTO. Vegetarians may or may not try and minimize their non food use of animals like vegans.

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: same as VEGAN (see right), but also eats eggs and milk products. This is the most 'popular' form of Vegetarianism in many Western countries..

Lacto Vegetarian
: Same as VEGAN, but also eats milk products.

Veggie -- Shortened nick-name for a VEGETARIAN; often includes VEGANs.

Strict vegetarian
: originally meant vegan, now can mean vegan or vegetarian.
Vegan: excludes animal flesh (meat, poultry, fish and seafood), animal products (eggs and dairy), and usually excludes honey and the wearing and use of animal products (leather, silk, wool, lanolin, gelatin...).

The major vegan societies all disallow honey, but some "vegans" still use it. Some "vegans" also refuse to eat yeast products.

Dietary Vegan
: follows a vegan diet, but doesn't necessarily try and exclude non-food uses of animals.

Hi.

I'm a vegetarian and I was wondering about the insect thing, because they're a good source of nutrition but are still living creatures. I think it's ultimately a matter of personal choice, because some people call themselves vegetarian but eat fish and other such things. Most people prefer not to get too technical with the terms, and often people have their own set of rules for their non-animal diets...

Anyways, I took an entomology (study of insects) class and it was very cool. I learned that honey is actually bee saliva. I thought that was a pretty neat fact. It's not just some liquid they have a special body part to produce.

Pretty tasty spit those four-winged striped bugs have, eh?

Hi.

I'm a vegetarian and I was wondering about the insect thing, because they're a good source of nutrition but are still living creatures. I think it's ultimately a matter of personal choice, because some people call themselves vegetarian but eat fish and other such things. Most people prefer not to get too technical with the terms, and often people have their own set of rules for their non-animal diets...

Anyways, I took an entomology (study of insects) class and it was very cool. I learned that honey is actually bee saliva. I thought that was a pretty neat fact. It's not just some liquid they have a special body part to produce.

Pretty tasty spit those four-winged striped bugs have, eh?
Yep, honey is bee vomit. ;)

http://www.alldeaf.com/food-beverage/50444-insect-vomit.html

I agree with you. I can never understand vegetarians. I guess they're like everyone else. :roll:

I have some friends who seem to contradict themselves when they talk about being vegetarians. I will catch them eating fish and they will simply claim that vegetarians are allowed to eat fish, but not other meats. Oh, they just admitted that fish is meat? Therefore, they're not vegetarians! :roll:

Yep, honey is bee vomit. ;)

http://www.alldeaf.com/food-beverage/50444-insect-vomit.html

I agree with you. I can never understand vegetarians. I guess they're like everyone else. :roll:

I have some friends who seem to contradict themselves when they talk about being vegetarians. I will catch them eating fish and they will simply claim that vegetarians are allowed to eat fish, but not other meats. Oh, they just admitted that fish is meat? Therefore, they're not vegetarians! :roll:

I am a vegetarian...I eat all kinds of meats except for fish. :giggle:

That person who eats fish and no other meat is still considered vegan. it's call pescatarian. There are many different types of vegans.

That person who eats fish and no other meat is still considered vegan. it's call pescatarian. There are many different types of vegans.
Sadly, the Vegetarian Society does not consider that a valid part of a vegetarian diet. :nono:

Only by their definitions. A person has the right to choose the type of diet lifestyle they firmly believe in whether if its for their health, their values and morals, religiously & spiritually ideals, for whatever reasons they choose this type of lifestyle no matter how other organizations may try to define them.

Sadly, the Vegetarian Society does not consider that a valid part of a vegetarian diet. :nono:

Back