Can someone deaf receive SS/SSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be stupid - you, and many others, know how to work around your deafness to survive in a hearing world. A hearing person who becomes deaf doesn't! They don't have the experience and knowledge that will let them engage in these activities, whether that means lip reading, ASL, visual signallers, or whatever else.

I believe the OP even said she (he?) was planning to go back to work, but needs SSI to give them time to figure things out. That's the beauty of support programs like SSI - it helps people through the rough spots, when the alternative might mean becoming homeless, or starving, or otherwise being put in a position where it is suddenly much harder to get a job and pull things together.

i wholeheartily agree with you!!!
i don't know why he is so angry!!! :squint: jeez... she was just seeking some help/advice/support from us!! isn't what this forum is for!???

i can't stand his "smug" attitude! :ugh:

She may be capable of working, but she is incapable of continuing to earn income in the way that she was trained to do so, and therefore, will suffer a loss in income. Retraining is certainly the way to go, but exactly how is she supposed to live while she takes the steps necessary to reorganize her life in order to adapt to these new circumstances? SSI is a supplement that allows one continue to provide for themselves financially. She worked for any number of years, and paid into the system with each paycheck. Therefore, she is simply using money that she has already paid into the system. She is not asking for a free ride.

Unfortunately, deafness does not change the fact that she is a teacher, but society sees it as an indication that she can no longer function in that capacity. As unfair as it is, it is a reality of life. She doesn't label herself as disabled, our society does.

I heartily disagree with you. Society creates the obstacle to employment that so many Deaf indiviuals must overcome. Therefore, society needs to assist these individuals in delveloping the skills to overcome those obstacles. SSI is but a tool that helps accomplish that.

I totally agree and we can fight for the accodomatations in our place of employment but if the employer is resistant to it, the process of the battle can drag for a substantial period of time so what to do for income in the time being? If it was me, I would apply for SSDI or SSI benefits. Can call me lazy or stupid, but it is my life just as it is the creator's life that she needs to take care of while she sorts things out with her own personal and employment issues. We dont know what is really going on at her place of employment..were they supportive or told her "sorry, u cant do the job so u are not needed"? We dont know.

Someone mentioned that why not she work at a deaf school but remember there may not be one within driving distance. As for deaf/hoh programs at the public schools..maybe there are no openings? We just dont know but to belittle her is just wrong!

I'd rather be at my aunt's ranch tending to her horses instead I'm stuck here fixing up other people's problems. Big big problems out of picky things.

Who cares if you think I give the deaf people a bad name. Leadership is an art, not science.

The simple message dont quit because of losing your ears.

Richard

WELL SAID!!! :thumb:
i think nesmuth has mental issues! cuz i HAVE NEVER ONCE heard nice things come out of his mouth! :squint: ... he is indeed a one angry man who thinks he has all the answers!??? :thumbd: no wonder he has a reputation... jeez!

My reputation reflects on what I have to do. To bail deafies out for doing stupid things to make their ends meet.

People need to be much more proactive and use their brains for a change before they take on paths that lead them to send me letters like the ones I been getting lately.

The last thing I want to see is people quitting their jobs when they start going deaf.

Richard

Attachments

• Picture 58.jpg
    Picture 58.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 19
My reputation reflects on what I have to do. To bail deafies out for doing stupid things to make their ends meet.

People need to be much more proactive and use their brains for a change before they take on paths that lead them to send me letters like the ones I been getting lately.

The last thing I want to see is people quitting their jobs when they start going deaf.

Richard

oh I see you are ex-jailbird?.

Ok.. Remember that the orginator of this thread is NOT used to being deaf... There's not need to make her feel bad. Telling her what to do IS not the answer. She has to make the choices that she is comfortable making.. It's going to take time for her to get used to being deaf.. Just like it takes time for CI people to get used to wearing CI's..

Making her feel bad about the choices SHE made is not going to help her right now. So I say let the orginator make her own decisions and Try to support her in her time of need... Heck, If I was in her shoes, i'd be scared, worried, and nervous as well.. SO can we please show her support instead of bashing her choices as a newly deafened adult? Thanks.

Ok.. Remember that the orginator of this thread is NOT used to being deaf... There's not need to make her feel bad. Telling her what to do IS not the answer. She has to make the choices that she is comfortable making.. It's going to take time for her to get used to being deaf.. Just like it takes time for CI people to get used to wearing CI's..

Making her feel bad about the choices SHE made is not going to help her right now. So I say let the orginator make her own decisions and Try to support her in her time of need... Heck, If I was in her shoes, i'd be scared, worried, and nervous as well.. SO can we please show her support instead of bashing her choices as a newly deafened adult? Thanks.

I agree!

I dont mean to club a hard issue hard on her.

stargazer-bouquet.jpg

Its an ongoing burning issue and she simply got caught in the cross fire.

Richard

I certainly didn’t say THAT. There are ways to disagree without resorting to bashing and insulting.

Actually, it was the creator of this thread who brought up CI in the first place…and…But we can still agree to disagree without the need for bashing, insults, and name-calling!

Yes I second that.
Shel90's post
We just dont know but to belittle her is just wrong!

Exactly!!!!

I am deaf and I recieved SSDI checks

May I ask you question?

You work as teacher for deaf children and still receive SSDI? I thought SSI/SSDI are special for disabiltiy unemployees? Please correct my mistake.

May I ask you question?

You work as teacher for deaf children and still receive SSDI? I thought SSI/SSDI are special for disabiltiy unemployees? Please correct my mistake.

Received is in the past tense

Meaning I did get ssdi in the past and no longer get it since I am working.

Why do you feel that you were block for a better career because you can't use the phone. Nowadays, we do have so much technology, video phone, ip-relay, spirit relay, hamilit, Email, etc... video phone is very helpful for the Deaf people to using interpreter. Interpreter will speak for you when you sign. It is so awesome ! I love vrs very much, it is much better than TTY Relay Operator. It is more faster and effecitively ! ;)

Do not let them to look you down !! You are extremely brilliant, you can do anything expect phone. Technology is very helpful for the most of disability people !!

Yes I agree with you on this.

I work here in the office to deal with US and German customers per email and fax or walk to downstair to check with co-workers about work issues... Accord discrimination law, phone has nothing do with work positions but office skills. The phone operator is a different story.

I don't have technology for the deaf here in the office but email, fax and walk to next door to door... I really don't have any problem with that because I know accord the law, employers should not use "phone" as an excuse.

Received is in the past tense

Meaning I did get ssdi in the past and no longer get it since I am working.

I want to edit my post to let you know that I have read your previous post after your first post.. You posted ... oocchh... Anyway, thank you for answer my question. :thumb:

I am deaf and it just happened in 2006. I signed up for social security disability about 5 months ago. I had to quit my job because I was having a hard time performing it...I was a preschool teacher. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time and getting my hopes up if someone who is deaf can't get it. This is a serious question and please don't bash it! I was told a deaf person could get it but, I haven't heard anything from them in 5 months. Is this normal?

Get the job like hearing's world. Most jobs part-times make more wage than SSI. How many hours a week for class you take?

see nesmuthbird!!! this is that WHOLE POINT!!! jeez! and i have to concur with bearbeauty!!!

many of us are fortunate because we already had a support system of teachers, friends, colleaques, etc... and knew what to do whereas she is "VERY NEW" TO THE DEAF WORLD and learning more about herself and how to obtain support- period! so be careful of who you are DIRECTING it to!-- as you directed to the WRONG PERSON! especially to belittle/degrade someone who is SO NEW AND NOT USED TO BE DEAF, ETC!!! jeez... :ugh:

Get the job like hearing's world. Most jobs part-times make more wage than SSI. How many hours a week for class you take?

that is a great idea highlander, but she needs time to absorb that she lost all of her hearing and will have to seek and accept support... i know many hearing people (late deafened adults) who have so much pride to do that... then once she absorbs all of this, life will be easier for her... i know how she feels and i empathsize with her...

I'd rather be at my aunt's ranch tending to her horses instead I'm stuck here fixing up other people's problems. Big big problems out of picky things.

Who cares if you think I give the deaf people a bad name. Leadership is an art, not science.

The simple message dont quit because of losing your ears.

Richard

Leadership may be an art, but it is obviously not an art you have any talent for. You don't lead, you try to bully. You obviously suffer from problems with low self esteem, or you wouldn't have to resort to these tactics to make yourself feel like a big man.

I dont mean to club a hard issue hard on her.

stargazer-bouquet.jpg

Its an ongoing burning issue and she simply got caught in the cross fire.

Richard

NO EXCUSE FOR YOUR INTOLERANCE. Maybe you should be more careful where you aim your nastiness. I feel sorry for the people you work with. They no doubt leave your company feeling worthless.

NO EXCUSE FOR YOUR INTOLERANCE. Maybe you should be more careful where you aim your nastiness. I feel sorry for the people you work with. They no doubt leave your company feeling worthless.

and his ex-wife too! i know i don't want to be with someone like him let alone befriend him too! :thumbd:

he needs to take anger management classes for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back