Can single deaf people adopt?

ILoveTarget

Reaction score
i would like to adopt a deaf child someday but i was wondering if im single can i adopt kid or do i need be married? i live in foster care all my life so i want to adopt child so they have mom. i wait until i get older until i adopt after i have my college degree so i can have my own home and buy lots of toys for my child. thank you for the advice.

It depends on the state. In some states you have to be legally married (so you can't just have a ceremony and adopt). IDK about being deaf, it is probably something they would take into account. But I can't see them denying you a child JUST based on you being deaf.

I am sure you can adopt your deaf baby or any kind of baby that you want to adopt. You will be fine being single and if you just let them know that you want to adopt a child, then go ahead with all of your heart content. Wishing you all the good luck to having to adopt your child. The big question is how long will you have to wait to get your adopted child to come home to? This is the next step to try to fill out the paperworks and it might take a long time or hopefully a short time. Going through the adoption take time. :fingersx:

I have a friend who is single and she is adopting a deaf girl from India so she is very excited. You can do it :)

My father adopted me as a single parent (since my parents aren't legally married). No problems whatsoever on the single-parent front. As for adopting as a Deaf parent, I can't see why they wouldn't let you.

My friend who is deaf and single adopted a girl from Russia about 5 years ago. There were no issues with her being single or being deaf.

You sure can!...I adopted 3 boys in 2006, cared for them since 2003 after being abandoned by the mother (drug/alcohol addict).

I live in Florida. You will have to go through some "serious" background checking....schooling for several months also! Ur home will have to be "open" for social workers, HRS, etc. at any time! It all kept me "on my toes"!

It's hard work!...I'm 62! And my boys are now 17, 14 and 12. All doing very well!

I'm deaf and they are hearing....And they keep me young and running!!

Adopting a child is not a "spur of the moment thing" or "wishful thinking" for a child!...You must be willing to make a "difference" in the child's life. I'm a single adoptee parent! And raising teenagers is no piece of cake! It's hard!

Good luck if you decide to proceed in this endeavor!...It takes a "special" kind of person!...Hopefully, you are that one!

You sure can!...I adopted 3 boys in 2006, cared for them since 2003 after being abandoned by the mother (drug/alcohol addict).

I live in Florida. You will have to go through some "serious" background checking....schooling for several months also! Ur home will have to be "open" for social workers, HRS, etc. at any time! It all kept me "on my toes"!

It's hard work!...I'm 62! And my boys are now 17, 14 and 12. All doing very well!

I'm deaf and they are hearing....And they keep me young and running!!

Adopting a child is not a "spur of the moment thing" or "wishful thinking" for a child!...You must be willing to make a "difference" in the child's life. I'm a single adoptee parent! And raising teenagers is no piece of cake! It's hard!

Good luck if you decide to proceed in this endeavor!...It takes a "special" kind of person!...Hopefully, you are that one!

VERY WELL SAID!!!!

As I've mentioned before I'm in the process of finalizing the adoption on Adam...he's the third child I've had in my home-- (and the last!!) I started out fostering-- and like Rockin' Robin said It's NOT a spur of the moment thing.. if you think you want to do it 2-3 years down the road-- start the process now, start researching and deciding what kind of adoption you'd like to do (foster to adopt, foreign, domestic etc.)... be ready for an emotional ROLLER COASTER ride... It is NOT easy-- but it IS worth it!!!

Good luck!! :) :) (BTW, I'm a single mom, by choice!)

Wow, you guys all taught me something new, I didn't know that you can adopt while being a single parent. I was told that you have to be married in order to adopt... I'm glad to see that I was wrong. :)

It depends on the state. In some states you have to be legally married (so you can't just have a ceremony and adopt). IDK about being deaf, it is probably something they would take into account. But I can't see them denying you a child JUST based on you being deaf.

It is not depend on state! I'm adopted and I know stuff!

Being couple parents, it's depend on the country who will allow the America parents to adopted. It's tend for asia that don't allow the single parents to adopted, unless the celebrity single parents, high possible, would able to get. The general that single parents are allow to adopted from Russia or here in America, depend on the individual on job that well-earn by salary.

no low-income allow.

It is not depend on state! I'm adopted and I know stuff!

Being couple parents, it's depend on the country who will allow the America parents to adopted. It's tend for asia that don't allow the single parents to adopted, unless the celebrity single parents, high possible, would able to get. The general that single parents are allow to adopted from Russia or here in America, depend on the individual on job that well-earn by salary.

no low-income allow.

Actually China does allow single WOMEN to adopt (but not single men), as does Russia and other countries... You do have to be in a certain age range and yes income does make a difference b/c it is VERY expensive to adopt from a forgien country, you have to stay there a certain amount of time, travel back and forth, etc it adds up-- right now some countries have waiting lists for adoptions- also in foreign adoptions married couples have a priority but there are rules on those as well-- married x amount of years etc...

In the states it is quite different. Private adoption (often times church sponsored) agencies can refuse someone b/c they are not married however most state run agencies DO accept single parents... Arkansas has recently passed a bill that doesn't allow someone who is living w/a partner, room mate, etc... (hetrosexual or homosexual) to adopt/foster- and other states ARE considering that as well-- supposedly to keep a 'moral standard' by not exposing children to an alternate lifestyle-- and by not allowing ANYONE to live together unmarried and foster/adopt is the only way they can LEGALLY 'ban' homosexuals from fostering/adopting. It's a silly law if you ask me b/c I know several couples who would provide much better/safer homes than some of the homes most of these kids come from as it is...

I've researched adoption on ALL fronts (overseas, domestic and foster to adopt) for about 10 years now. There are MANY MANY misconceptions and myths about adopting.

actually mostly married usa couples must approves married firstly they get adopt whether in country its serious!

i would love get adopt children somedays dues price of adopt but i wanted my own children because adopt is lots of money! im not jokes!

actually mostly married usa couples must approves married firstly they get adopt whether in country its serious!

i would love get adopt children somedays dues price of adopt but i wanted my own children because adopt is lots of money! im not jokes!

This all depends on how you adopt... adopting a child from foster care is NOT expensive-- usually the state will even pay for the adoption... granted you don't always get a squeaky clean bouncing baby from the hospital-- many of the kids who need homes are special needs- or older... but if your heart is really in it 'for the best of the children' then this isn't an issue.

There are also many grants and scholarships to help with the cost of private infant adoption... although most of these are for specific groups-- certain church denominations have programs, some businesses... etc.

It all depends on someones true desire to adopt... just have to do your research...

I think single people should be allow to adopt. Better than no parent. Good Luck!

(I also think low income people should allow to adopt at least one child too. I don't think money should be a factor at all)

Right now, I know of 3 deaf single women who adopted children and a 4th one is in the process right now and I've been helping her. It's been an EMOTIONAL RIDE for her (& me, too, as I watch her cry often)! I have learned SO MUCH about it and actually am thinking of doing the same thing in the near future.

Right now, I know of 3 deaf single women who adopted children and a 4th one is in the process right now and I've been helping her. It's been an EMOTIONAL RIDE for her (& me, too, as I watch her cry often)! I have learned SO MUCH about it and actually am thinking of doing the same thing in the near future.

This is awesome to hear... yeah I'll back you up on the emotional ride part... we're getting close to the end and finalization for Adam but dang it's been a HARD year!!! I am so excited to hear that you've got so many single mom's (deaf or not) that have reached out and adopted a baby-- I know it's by far the best thing I've EVER done!!!

Good luck if you choose to adopt I'm glad you've got people who have been thru it there who can guide you and support you!!! :hug:

This thread choked me up in a good way. three cheers for you awesome people who either are considering adopting a deaf child, in the process of adopting a deaf child or already have adopted deaf child....the world needs more angels like yourselves.

I almost adopted a deaf baby - so, for the most part, I think it's possible. Contact your state adoption agency for adoption guidelines for your state.

Back