Can i sue a doctor? I don't understand why some doctor can't afford to pay an inter..

Jillio, the relay ops I use are really good too. They often type in the tone the speaker is using as well as some background chatter. Don't you just love it when a good relay service does that??

Yes, I do! The ops we use are excellent at voicing tone, as well, from my son's typed message. And they are extremely polite, never failing to thank me at the end of the call.

what relay services you guy/gal are using???

im sure mostly deaf people can bring interpreter than nothing..

IF i need interpreter for doctor's appt and i have problems with doctor but i can hires attorneys somedays to faces doctor to have rightsful for deaf people.

Yes, I do! The ops we use are excellent at voicing tone, as well, from my son's typed message. And they are extremely polite, never failing to thank me at the end of the call.

Wisconsin TRS CAs are the same way. I've had a number of friends use relay for the first time and they were impressed with how friendly and helpful the CAs were. Their customer service department also takes each call seriously and if a complaint is made, they address it immediately.

I came to the new primary doctor three weeks ago. The front desk people looked piss off at me which it perplexed me. I just filled out the form about my history health and insurance. Then interpreter came in the wait room, we chatted for while then dr called us to the room. Doctor expressed her feeling to arugement with Mass Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing because dr refused to get an interpreter for me. She pointed her middle finger at the agency. I was surprised that MCDHH faught with dr to get an interpreter for me. Then dr left the room, the interpreter explained me what happen. I was shocked because dr refused to get an interpreter for me or mcdhh will contact mass disability law for me. Then I went to blood lab to do blood work, etc..

Two weeks later, I have not heard about my blood result then I called the office. They said, will send me a letter. Dr wrote said, I am no longer her patient unless I have to read her lip read or write the notes in the communication with the mail certified. I was discouraged to seeing lose a good doctor that she wont provide an interpreter for me for next visit. She decided to let me go.

Naturually, I was so so upset and sad most of the day on Saturday. My sons think, I should see an attorney.

*sigh*

I came to the new primary doctor three weeks ago. The front desk people looked piss off at me which it perplexed me. I just filled out the form about my history health and insurance. Then interpreter came in the wait room, we chatted for while then dr called us to the room. Doctor expressed her feeling to arugement with Mass Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing because dr refused to get an interpreter for me. She pointed her middle finger at the agency. I was surprised that MCDHH faught with dr to get an interpreter for me. Then dr left the room, the interpreter explained me what happen. I was shocked because dr refused to get an interpreter for me or mcdhh will contact mass disability law for me. Then I went to blood lab to do blood work, etc..

Two weeks later, I have not heard about my blood result then I called the office. They said, will send me a letter. Dr wrote said, I am no longer her patient unless I have to read her lip read or write the notes in the communication with the mail certified. I was discouraged to seeing lose a good doctor that she wont provide an interpreter for me for next visit. She decided to let me go.

Naturually, I was so so upset and sad most of the day on Saturday. My sons think, I should see an attorney.

*sigh*

The doctor is a fucking asshole! They are supposed to serve ill patients not discriminate!

Shel, it's like that everywhere. Dr's don't care all the time. They are not paying. No md here will get one. Period. Like one wrote on my pad ... 2 bad .. so sad..
So sue them? Their insurance covers it? My audiologist and my former ENT were ok. They sign or don't mind writing on my pad. Most don't have time.

Kalista,
While the method the doctor used was correct (written notification by certified mail), the reason for refusing to see you was based solely on what ADA defines as a disability. That is pure discrimination. I suggest you contact a disability lawyer immediately. We have to send the message that WE HAVE RIGHTS, and they have responsibilities. That is part of the cost of practicing medicine. It's a huge money-losing proposition for the doctor, but IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Doctors like this give my profession a black eye. :noway:

doctors in private practice are not required to provide interpreters. Hospitals are required because hospitals are place of public accommodations regardless of whether they are the recipients of federal financial assistance. ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and DisabilityInfo.gov: Disability related information and resources from the Federal Government have more. beside better to have the doctor write back and forth so you can check more on google and wikipedia and National Institutes of Health (NIH) - Home Page why have an interpreter know you have STD or you're pregnant or etc???

Actually, doctors in private practice are always required to provide effective communication under the ADA. So if an interpreter is needed for effective communication, they would have to provide terps absent a showing of undue burden. And even if they are able to demonstrate that terps are an undue burden, they are not excused from providing access - they still have the obligation to provide comm. access that is effective and does not result in an undue burden.

You are correct in that hospitals are places of public accommodation and would be required to provide effective communication. As to whether hospitals are recipients of federal financial assistance, that goes to the ability to bring a Section 504 Rehab Act claim, not the ADA.

Finally, while note writing may be effective for some deaf/hh people, it may not be effective at all for others especially when there'll be discussion over treatment options or whathaveyou for a serious DX. But certainly, if total privacy is important to the deaf/hh person, then they don't have to request a terp and go by note writing alone - although I would imagine they would have a hard time claiming ineffective communication later if they voluntarily waive their requests for an interpreter.

doctors in private practice are not required to provide interpreters. Hospitals are required because hospitals are place of public accommodations regardless of whether they are the recipients of federal financial assistance. ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and DisabilityInfo.gov: Disability related information and resources from the Federal Government have more. beside better to have the doctor write back and forth so you can check more on google and wikipedia and National Institutes of Health (NIH) - Home Page why have an interpreter know you have STD or you're pregnant or etc???

i came to the new primary doctor three weeks ago. The front desk people looked piss off at me which it perplexed me. I just filled out the form about my history health and insurance. Then interpreter came in the wait room, we chatted for while then dr called us to the room. Doctor expressed her feeling to arugement with mass commission for the deaf and hard of hearing because dr refused to get an interpreter for me. She pointed her middle finger at the agency. I was surprised that mcdhh faught with dr to get an interpreter for me. Then dr left the room, the interpreter explained me what happen. I was shocked because dr refused to get an interpreter for me or mcdhh will contact mass disability law for me. Then i went to blood lab to do blood work, etc..

Two weeks later, i have not heard about my blood result then i called the office. They said, will send me a letter. Dr wrote said, i am no longer her patient unless i have to read her lip read or write the notes in the communication with the mail certified. I was discouraged to seeing lose a good doctor that she wont provide an interpreter for me for next visit. She decided to let me go.

Naturually, i was so so upset and sad most of the day on saturday. My sons think, i should see an attorney.

*sigh*

that letter is a proof! Take to lawyer due they refused to tell your health blood lab result purpose because you paid the bill and doctor decide not to do it. It is wrongful and doctor will face two thing, ADA and your rights.

Last edited:
Do yo aware that Insurance expect those doctor to get intepreter for us. The reason, why in the world Insurance have to spend the money on us if we don't understand what doctor is try refer us to different test for what purpose? That way you can look for second doctor to get better or whatever our health issue that we face.

No interpreter, we keep pay doctor to murder us.

The doctor is a fucking asshole! They are supposed to serve ill patients not discriminate!

I happen watch the Court Order or something like that.. it impact what woman say...

"Why are we spending our money to doctor. The doctor is just try to murder us because they got our money.":hmm:

Actually, doctors in private practice are always required to provide effective communication under the ADA. So if an interpreter is needed for effective communication, they would have to provide terps absent a showing of undue burden. And even if they are able to demonstrate that terps are an undue burden, they are not excused from providing access - they still have the obligation to provide comm. access that is effective and does not result in an undue burden.

You are correct in that hospitals are places of public accommodation and would be required to provide effective communication. As to whether hospitals are recipients of federal financial assistance, that goes to the ability to bring a Section 504 Rehab Act claim, not the ADA.

Finally, while note writing may be effective for some deaf/hh people, it may not be effective at all for others especially when there'll be discussion over treatment options or whathaveyou for a serious DX. But certainly, if total privacy is important to the deaf/hh person, then they don't have to request a terp and go by note writing alone - although I would imagine they would have a hard time claiming ineffective communication later if they voluntarily waive their requests for an interpreter.

Well, I have to disagree on what you you say.. I am not try jump with gun and point at you for moment.

In past, I went to see doctor and doctor seems new due from other country. Anyway; doctor always ask me with paper; fever, feel, what wrong and how long. You say 'may be effective for some Deaf/HH people'. It hard for me to go over and over and over when I have sinus problem until I have do my home work and find the answer to resolve my sinus free for 4 months! Until the recent health become my mental pain obessive because I do think I do but doctor doesn't see it until one doctor burtel at me that I do not have pain, it withdraw body from pain pill. Gee... I didn't realize it BAD! The repeat and it costs me more money and image that they are happy see 900 dollar buck from Insurance. What more, I cause the company employee increase monthly. Are we happy about it, no. The doctor burtel at me with interpreter and realized that interpreter more effective for doctor to communicate with me better and get understand where we are standing with my health issue and now I am fine.

Money we spending
Doctor get check from insurance
equal as what, money... not recovery or getting better.

It would be nice for Insurance require doctor, "do you accoplication with "person name" for interpreter?" If doctor lied to insurance due money purpose and insurance send us letter ensure we get same page.

It would be nice.... so Insurance ageny reprsent to USA about what heck doctor is doing. It could be nice for Insurance mail us a check instead of doctor due no interpreter. It would teach them a lesson.

Back