Can ADA forces non-profit org to provide me a terp?

DeafVeggie

Reaction score
Can ADA forces the large non-profit organization (more than 15 staffs on the payroll) to provide me a terp if I request it? Let's say Greenpeace is coming to town to give a speech rally for against logging.

After the non-profit organization applies a permits with the city for their upcoming outspoken speech rally as part of their free speeches under Constitution, they gave speeches to everyone. But, I did not even understood one word from them and would need a terp badly. Was it my responsibility to provide a terp of my own or was I to ask the non-profit org to provide me one?

Now, this is an interesting question...

Suppose that the non-profit org refuses to provide me a terp, can I just run to the city and request the clerk to invalid their permits? Hence, that would forces the non-profit org to either provide me a terp or else...no event for them.

I consider Greenpeace's speeches as "public" because they speak to the public on public ground with public permits. What's more, Greenpeace is a non-profit org which is a government certified tax-exempt organization which they require to recognize every details in the Fed laws which ADA happens to be one of them.

If I do have a chance to make the non-profit org to provide me a terp, where can I find the exact lines in the ADA law to blunt at Greenpeace and maybe to the city clerk who issued permits?

~DV

If hey receive any public funding, Title II applies. Otherwise it will be Title III that applies.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
If hey receive any public funding, Title II applies. Otherwise it will be Title III that applies.

Richard

If they receive any public funding, which part of Title II?

If they receive no public fundings, which part of Title III?

BTW, your signature reminds me of Margie's posting. Does she works with your organization?

~DV

DeafVeggie said:
Can ADA forces the large non-profit organization (more than 15 staffs on the payroll) to provide me a terp if I request it? Let's say Greenpeace is coming to town to give a speech rally for against logging.

After the non-profit organization applies a permits with the city for their upcoming outspoken speech rally as part of their free speeches under Constitution, they gave speeches to everyone. But, I did not even understood one word from them and would need a terp badly. Was it my responsibility to provide a terp of my own or was I to ask the non-profit org to provide me one?

Now, this is an interesting question...

Suppose that the non-profit org refuses to provide me a terp, can I just run to the city and request the clerk to invalid their permits? Hence, that would forces the non-profit org to either provide me a terp or else...no event for them.

I consider Greenpeace's speeches as "public" because they speak to the public on public ground with public permits. What's more, Greenpeace is a non-profit org which is a government certified tax-exempt organization which they require to recognize every details in the Fed laws which ADA happens to be one of them.

If I do have a chance to make the non-profit org to provide me a terp, where can I find the exact lines in the ADA law to blunt at Greenpeace and maybe to the city clerk who issued permits?

~DV
Good question. I always wonder about that... There were several events that I so want to go but they didn't provide the interpreting service. But one event, they said they will be more than happy to contact a trep but as long as there are 15 or more deafies. Interesting. I never bother to think about ADA until you mentioned about it... I fortunately am in relationship with Nas, a veteran trep and she often are more than happy to interpret for me at almost anywhere (she refused to do that at stripping club when I jokingly poked her about stripping club). I wish I can help with you about this one but I have no idea or knowledge about ADA. Deaf258 may have the knowledge about this. I will try to get his attention toward this topic.

Brain can't think! XD Me busy with homework and Finals!

I'll try checking around on this.. DeafVeggie, have you tried going to the legal advising monthly event at the Deaf Center in Salt Lake City?? I am sure someone there would answer your questions!

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reg3a.html

If the NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION is public, they should provide you interpreter under ADA.

Public means ANYONE CAN participate, including those with disabilities and non-profit organizations shouldn't discriminate against the disabled. I hope that it helps you.

I just visited the website that you gave me...

Which sections and line numbers that the NON-PROFIT organization must provide me a terp when I ask for it?

~DV

rjr2006 said:
http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reg3a.html

If the NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION is public, they should provide you interpreter under ADA.

Public means ANYONE CAN participate, including those with disabilities and non-profit organizations shouldn't discriminate against the disabled. I hope that it helps you.

I just learned a bit more about Greenpeace, they're based in the Netherlands, given that fact, the ADA dont apply to them.

Richard

DeafVeggie said:
I just visited the website that you gave me...

Which sections and line numbers that the NON-PROFIT organization must provide me a terp when I ask for it?

~DV
Sec.36.203 Integrated settings.

(a) General. A public accommodation shall afford goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations to an individual with a disability in the most integrated setting appropriate to the needs of the individual.

(b) Opportunity to participate. Notwithstanding the existence of separate or different programs or activities provided in accordance with this subpart, a public accommodation shall not deny an individual with a disability an opportunity to participate in such programs or activities that are not separate or different.

(c) Accommodations and services. (1) Nothing in this part shall be construed to require an individual with a disability to accept an accommodation, aid, service, opportunity, or benefit available under this part that such individual chooses not to accept.

It applies to them when they conduct business inside this country. Many overseas corporations do buisiness here and when they do, they have to follow our laws. If, that is, ADA applies to a non-profit corporation. We still aren't sure about that!

I am pretty sure, but not positive, that it applies to 501C corporations (churches, boy scouts, etc.).

Codger said:
...I am pretty sure, but not positive, that it applies to 501C corporations (churches, boy scouts, etc.).
Does not apply to churches.
Our church has terps, but it is not required by law.

What if they said, "We cannot afford terps"? That's the most common excuses nowadays! :(

~DV

rjr2006 said:
Sec.36.203 Integrated settings.

(a) General. A public accommodation shall afford goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations to an individual with a disability in the most integrated setting appropriate to the needs of the individual.

(b) Opportunity to participate. Notwithstanding the existence of separate or different programs or activities provided in accordance with this subpart, a public accommodation shall not deny an individual with a disability an opportunity to participate in such programs or activities that are not separate or different.

(c) Accommodations and services. (1) Nothing in this part shall be construed to require an individual with a disability to accept an accommodation, aid, service, opportunity, or benefit available under this part that such individual chooses not to accept.

Churches are exempted from ADA?

Oh really? I didn't know churches are exempted from ADA? Can anyone please elaborate why the churches are exempted?

~DV

Reba said:
Does not apply to churches.
Our church has terps, but it is not required by law.

DeafVeggie said:
What if they said, "We cannot afford terps"? That's the most common excuses nowadays! :(

~DV

It's a valid excuse especially when RID's puppets ask for $60-$100 an hour with a 2 hour minimum. Its called 'burdensome'. I have access to terps that ask for less than $20 an hour with no minimums.

Richard

DeafVeggie said:
Oh really? I didn't know churches are exempted from ADA? Can anyone please elaborate why the churches are exempted?

~DV

You should know.. BYU won't easily give full access to Deaf students, nor they would caption all of their BYUtv programs.. BYU is under the LDS Church.

Nesmuth said:
It's a valid excuse especially when RID's puppets ask for $60-$100 an hour with a 2 hour minimum. Its called 'burdensome'. I have access to terps that ask for less than $20 an hour with no minimums.

Richard

Give it a rest!

According to the RID workshop I attended a couple of years ago, interpreters are supposed to be paid about 90 dollars an hour. Less than 20 dollars an hour is inhumane and cruel to the interpreters.

DeafVeggie said:

~DV

I understand that businesses and schools can be reimbursed for the interpreters they provide when they send in their tax returns. There are some programs that cover the cost of interpreting, but the hard part is finding such program and applying for it.

Deaf258 said:
According to the RID workshop I attended a couple of years ago, interpreters are supposed to be paid about 90 dollars an hour. Less than 20 dollars an hour is inhumane and cruel to the interpreters.
$90 per hour?! Wow! Unfortunately, I am paid the "inhumane and cruel" rate. :(

Back