Can a person be profoundly deaf with residual hearing?

Hmmm. Would a blindfolded CI user have trouble determining from which direction a sound is coming from? Just curious.

I'd be curious to know that too. I know that with my HAs, I have no sense of direction of sound!

Me too, I am curious to know that. When I was very young kid my school always put me on chair in middle of room and have all sort of music stuff and stand anywhere and see if I able to tell where it is from and point. They put blindfold on me. I failed that test badly, not even got 1 right.

Some did okish, some did very well, some did badly but still got 2-5 right out of 20 or more. All hearing aids cos CI wasn't popular back then, around 1990 to 1999.

I touched a button? I see.

I actually was just wondering what I was missing in life without using certain sounds. Like I will be sitting around waiting intently to hear a fire alarm to go off. One day it does then while walking out of the building I'll be like *fist pump* -telling a co-worker- "Man, if I didn't hear that fire alarm go off, I'd be doomed." coworker: "yeah.... dang. We should thank god that you have a hearing device."

I guess I am missing out on that experience. Sounds thrilling.
Exactly, your response reinforced what I was thinking. That the reason why you asked that question was cause you were looking for an "opening". And that's why I answered the way I did. ;)

Exactly, your response reinforced what I was thinking. That the reason why you asked that question was cause you were looking for an "opening". And that's why I answered the way I did. ;)

In other ways, you don't have any use for sounds. Cool with me.

BTW, I pointed out your thought process in the other thread, you should go and check it out.

In other ways, you don't have any use for sounds. Cool with me.

BTW, I pointed out your thought process in the other thread, you should go and check it out.
Alright, upon your insistence.

Here are some of the different ways I either enjoyed or benefited from the sounds when wearing hearing aids:

- Enjoyed hearing the water rustling or splashing

- Enjoyed listening to music in many different areas

- Enjoyed listening to some people sing

- Enjoyed listening to some people play an instrument

- Enjoyed hearing the sounds from the TV or Movies

- Enjoyed hearing sounds from Theatres

- Enjoyed hearing different people's voices, including my Mother's.

- Enjoyed hearing people laugh

- Enjoyed the background noises from the fans in Stadiums or Sporting Events

- Enjoyed hearing the Fireworks pop, both small and big ones

- Enjoyed hearing the raindrops

- Enjoyed hearing the sirens from Firetrucks or Police Cars or Ambulances

- Enjoyed hearing the tickling of the coins in Slot Machines

- Enjoyed hearing the phone ringing

- Enjoyed hearing the bell

- Enjoyed hearing the train whistle

- Enjoyed hearing cars or motorcycles screeching by

- Heard dog barking

- Yes, it did help me to communicate with hearing people better

- Yes, it did help me lipread better

- Yes, it did help me speak better

- Yes it did help me socialize better

- Yes, it did help me do better in school

- Yes, it did help me follow the class better

- Yes it did help me make friends in school, neighbor, little league teams and so forth

- Yes, it did help me develop some close relationships with some of my relatives
and so on

Listen, if you're happy not wearing hearing aids, then good for you! No one is saying you should wear them. And even if some say they do get some benefit from their hearing aids, it's not necessarily an indication that "one way is better than the other". To each, his or her own.

Hmmm. Would a blindfolded CI user have trouble determining from which direction a sound is coming from? Just curious.

I'd be curious to know that too. I know that with my HAs, I have no sense of direction of sound!

Me too, I am curious to know that. When I was very young kid my school always put me on chair in middle of room and have all sort of music stuff and stand anywhere and see if I able to tell where it is from and point. They put blindfold on me. I failed that test badly, not even got 1 right.

Me either. I could hear a car coming from a distance but cannot tell in which direction is the car coming from.

I'm fairly certain from my personal understanding, that CI users have the same problem with sound perception and direction when their CI is off. I think the general idea is, the worse someone's overall hearing is - the less they are able to percept the direction.

There's a section in animal physiology that deals with nerve impulses and release of chemical secretions when a sensory neuron is used - everytime you see something, have a inner feeling and thought about something, touch an ice cube - all of it begins and ends with sensory nerves occuring at millions of times the event happens. The same nerves in the back and inside of our ears do too.

Someone with conductive hearing loss (which probably represents like less than 2% of this forum) is able to detect the direction. Because their hearing loss is caused by a foreign object or obstruction of the canal. There is a surgery process out there that allows for restoration of the 'sound direction' or perception - it's called osseointegrated implantation, you can look this up.

Going back to the nerve discussion, conductive hearing loss folks should have healthy and nominally operating nerves.

However, when we talk about sensorineural hearing loss, like 98% of the deaf here have, there are impairments of the cochlea and related nerves that connect to our brain. Normally operating nerves should be releasing impulses whenever a sound is detected - Potassium, sodium gated channels opening and flowing through the nerve axons, if you have ever heard of this discussion in biology classes on synapses. These nerves are the same ones that supposedly allow for the brain to detect the direction through the releases of the ions during transmissions. You have more axons transmitting in a healthy hearing person's nerve system, which contributes to these K+, Na+, Ca2+ elements flowing through that get utilized for ion exchange that is translated into information in the brain.

There is a way they try to explain it in physics, but it doesn't revolve with the nerves, they are talking more along the detection of how to translate the sound waves.

So, it is less likely someone who is a CI user can detect direction as much as someone who has moderate hearing loss. CI patients in general have a higher profound loss, thus translates to having less nerve synapses going on thus less ion and molecular information exchange.

When you have someone wearing a HA and on, this allows for the rest of the nerves that are still working (and haven't undergone apoptosis or whatever is wrong with the cells), more of them are trying to transmit ionic information exchange. Since the person hasn't undergone surgery, they haven't physically lost any healthy nerve cells either.

I want to say this is true, but to validate something like this requires an actual research study comparing the results between CI and HA people.

When my Cochlear Implant is disconnected from my direct experience every day-silence- I am bilaterally deaf. What else to expect?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

No....

Profoundly deaf means totally deaf; unable to hear anything.

Is your doctor on crack? :roll:

Not true,, ask any audi,, profound loss is having 90db loss or more... In many case, they may have NR at some frequency.

When my Cochlear Implant is disconnected from my direct experience every day-silence- I am bilaterally deaf. What else to expect?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

The only reason specifically you experience silence is because you have no other mode of communication. So what else to expect?? ASL :)

Depends on whether or not he's got bilateral CIs, don't most people use sound triangulation to determine direction? With one, my daughter can't determine direction -- aside from guessing/logic -- with two, she can.

Alright, upon your insistence.

Here are some of the different ways I either enjoyed or benefited from the sounds when wearing hearing aids:

- Enjoyed hearing the water rustling or splashing

- Enjoyed listening to music in many different areas

- Enjoyed listening to some people sing

- Enjoyed listening to some people play an instrument

- Enjoyed hearing the sounds from the TV or Movies

- Enjoyed hearing sounds from Theatres

- Enjoyed hearing different people's voices, including my Mother's.

- Enjoyed hearing people laugh

- Enjoyed the background noises from the fans in Stadiums or Sporting Events

- Enjoyed hearing the Fireworks pop, both small and big ones

- Enjoyed hearing the raindrops

- Enjoyed hearing the sirens from Firetrucks or Police Cars or Ambulances

- Enjoyed hearing the tickling of the coins in Slot Machines

- Enjoyed hearing the phone ringing

- Enjoyed hearing the bell

- Enjoyed hearing the train whistle

- Enjoyed hearing cars or motorcycles screeching by

- Heard dog barking

- Yes, it did help me to communicate with hearing people better

- Yes, it did help me lipread better

- Yes, it did help me speak better

- Yes it did help me socialize better

- Yes, it did help me do better in school

- Yes, it did help me follow the class better

- Yes it did help me make friends in school, neighbor, little league teams and so forth

- Yes, it did help me develop some close relationships with some of my relatives
and so on

Listen, if you're happy not wearing hearing aids, then good for you! No one is saying you should wear them. And even if some say they do get some benefit from their hearing aids, it's not necessarily an indication that "one way is better than the other". To each, his or her own.

Now my next question - Would you be able to function in life with just that? Go ahead and blindfold? I didn't think so.

I ask because you keep subtly pounding the CI/HA thing. You constantly seem to be saying its the necessary way of life. You also look down on the Deaf in general. All that shows your thinking is that with hearing life is better, people are better - this is what I take offense at.

No....

Profoundly deaf means totally deaf; unable to hear anything.

Is your doctor on crack? :roll:

I have profound loss in both ears and yet I still can hear very loud noises like airplanes with out my CI. For the record, my loss is at 115 dbs across the board.

Me either. I could hear a car coming from a distance but cannot tell in which direction is the car coming from.

The only way I can tell is if I look at the road. If I don't see a car coming towards me, then it's likely behind me.

I have No Reading in Dbs As Ive had EVERYTHING removed in both ears, also had brain abscess many years ago caused by ears many nerve damages, I have had complete Obliterations in Both ears, nothing left, had Cochlear Implant that also had to be removed, why?? because brain REJECTED Electrodes because of damage years ago.

I was once profoundly deaf, now TOTALLY.. the Profoundly has been erased from Hospital Notes, and now reads This Man is TOTALLY DEAF.

Also have had both ears skin grafted in ear canals, why shouuld drs look when theres nothing there at all? So If there any problems I would have scan instead..

I hell of a difference from profound when 1 could hear something at a strain.. now its NOTHING at all....

PFH: I don't perceive ASL usage as giving "hearing". Thus to me- irrelevant when one experiences deafness as silence. Is this from the Zombies in a previous thread?

Implanted Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

ASL gives a way to communicate. It is very relevant when deaf, regardless of whether you experience silence or have any hearing with CIs or HAs.

PFH: I don't perceive ASL usage as giving "hearing". Thus to me- irrelevant when one experiences deafness as silence. Is this from the Zombies in a previous thread?

Implanted Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Then you have a very restricted definition of hearing.

I hear nothing not even with HA, I do not know what hell are you guys talking about, hear this little or that little. I feel them and feel dog bark or feel airplane flew over . I am profoundly deaf and see some of them are worst than me and wear HA. i am at loss here. I do not qualified CI because I have no hair left inside my nerve, oh that Audiologoist told me I do not have any nerves since they are gone from not wearing HA at all. Yeah I once worn big ugly HA and had to turn all way then someone told me to turn it down cuz it made too much whistle. it was only way I can feel the vibration. My hearing loss was 110 in both ears and now? nothing still.

Back