can a hearring person really be a part of the deaf community?

mjorr

Reaction score
i say yes, but its not mine to decide.

hello, and welcome to my thread! as i have just signed up here i am unsure of how often pople are on here. but i guess i will find out

to start off i am mike. i am not deaf nor do i have anyone in my family that is deaf or hard of hearing. when i was younger i met someone who was. we both did BMX i learned tofinger spell to communicate with him. slowely i picked up signing from him. through himi met a couple other deaf people. i connected with them quickly even though there was a wall between us. MSAD minnesota state acadamy for the deaf was locatedin my home town. so my HS offered sign lang but not untill 10th grade. so naturally i took it. first year was a breeze as i had learned from friends. in 11th grade i took art at msad as well as took the 2nd year of asl at my hs. as a senior, i was a teachers aid in asl at my hs and also took deaf culture and was on yearbook for msad. by this time i had spent a lot of time at msad met a lor of people. i connected better with the deaf culture than my own. there was a lot less problems at msad, and everyone there was so nice. it was like a whole differnt world! but as for most people at the end of high school you part ways with a lot of your friends. some went on to gallaudet, some to other colleges, and some went back to their home town. as i used to be a bit of a trouble maker..... ok more than a bit. i distanced myself from who i was and moved to start of. i lost contact with most of the people i knew just so i didnt feel pressured into old habbits. i needed to get my life backon track. looking back. none of my hearing friends were really there for me. of course there was one or 2 but no one really cared what i was doing with my life. sure if i was in trouble they would help bail me out....but it none of us were going anywhere in our lives, and no one wanted to, but me. if felt trapped. as to where my deaf friends were possitive. if i said i wanted to open a shop. they would encourage me to do so, or if i said someday i will be president (not that i want to) but if i did they would say "well do it, you have my vote!" i dont know exactly why i felt the need to lose contact with everyone when i did, but i did it and now i regret it as i have lost a lot of connections with a lot of great people. i have recently started to let people back into my life and have reconnected with a couple people from msad! i had found out that one perso i met at msad was actually going to school where im living. ieven gave her a job. i know how hard it is for someone that is hard of hearing to find a job, and i know she was up for it so i gave her a chance, an she working out great. but i still really miss being a part of the deaf community. i mean sure i talk to and hang out with a couple deaf people but its just not the same as before. i was a part of it before. now im just associated.

so this is why im here! to try to reconnect, if i may, to a community that is so wonderfull its as if its not even real.

hit me up, ask me questions, and if you from minnesota lets get a beer.

peace.

mike.

He DID say "it's as if" it's not even real, meaning it's like a dream come true, I believe, not that it's not real.

Mjorr, it's not my place to respond to you since I am not part of the Deaf community yet. :(

Hope you get some good answers :)

Ah now after lilys post I see what rebecca was talking about. yes "as if it wasn't real" as I in couldn't believe it was too good to be true.

Good luck to you here. Feel free to read and learn, and get involved where you want. There are a lot of opinions here, and it will take time before you understand how those opinions were formed.

How is life in Faribault? Get any snow yet?

Good luck to you here. Feel free to read and learn, and get involved where you want. There are a lot of opinions here, and it will take time before you understand how those opinions were formed.

How is life in Faribault? Get any snow yet?

:aw: You beat me to it. :wave:

I also do not know anything about the deaf community but I am fascinated by ASL. I have never even met a deaf person but I am obsessed with learning it so I utube everything. I have learned some things. I would love to learn it and make some friends so good luck on reconnecting with your friends and making new ones.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I was from Minnesota before moving to New Mexico and then coming to Canada by myself. I was raised in Northern Minnesota, not far from Brainerd, Minnesota (25 miles north) in the bush or forest. I had to go to the city of Minneapolis to attend the mainstream schools (both elementary and high school). I hate those schools as I was not allowed to sign ASL and force to lipread and use oral-only method. I had struggled to try to understand what the teachers and the students said back then. That was a long time ago. I remembered going to Minnesota School for the Deaf (old name) in the early of 1960 to attend the football game (Homecoming game) in Faribault, Minnesota. Also I went to see if I can attend the MSD but I was turn down because I was too bright and felt that I would pass with flying color. Right (sarcasm) :roll: The head of the MSD told my mother that it would be better if I go back to mainstream school to stay there. :ugh: I don't know if my mother was telling me the truth or lied to me. I really hate that. I really want to go into Deaf school there. I do remember the school very fondly. I will always remember the campus there. Beautiful. I really miss it very much. **sigh**

I am glad that you are there even if you are hearing. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

@ saywhatkid.
im not in faribault anymore. im about an hour away, but no we havnt seen any snow get..... i wowulnt mind if it forgot to come this year.

@ bebonang
it is a nice school, msad or (msd) and shattuk st marrys used to be a millitary base a long long time ago. cool old buildings there!

@happy80

i didnt say i know nothing about the deaf commuinity. i actually am very knowlagable on that subject i studiedand was a part of it for quite some time.

im good, just got off work not too long ago, yourself?

Ahh, have fun at work? And not too bad thanks, just checking emails and stuff..trying to find my way around here lol I joined yesterday so I'm not too sure what I'm doing most of the time =P

Back