Calling An iMac Computer from Sorenson

mp220

Reaction score
My deaf girlfriend had Sorenson over this week to set her up but it turns out she doesn't qualify. He mentioned that someone else with Sorenson can dial up the iMac, (2.5 years old), by dialing the iMacs IP address. We know how to get the IP address but not how to set up the iMac for this. The Sorenson guy only knew how to do it for PC's.

Try ZVRS, you can sign up for a Z4, download the Mac client, and be working in minutes. There is no need to know your IP address, as ZVRS hosts a ZConnect IP address in the cloud that allows your friends to call you.

ZVRS

Try ZVRS, you can sign up for a Z4, download the Mac client, and be working in minutes. There is no need to know your IP address, as ZVRS hosts a ZConnect IP address in the cloud that allows your friends to call you.

ZVRS

I'm sure that old iMac doesn't running Intel which ZVRS software doesn't support on IBM or older cpu.

A 2.5 year old iMac will be an intel based iMac. Any iMac made after January 2006 is pretty much intel based. That was 5 years ago.

How to identify your iMac

I would be surprised if a 2.5 year old intel iMac wouldn't be able to run the Z4 client. I have a 3 year old mac mini that runs the Z4 client just fine.

It is an Intel based Mac. I'll try this when she gets home tonight... but I'll probably have some questions.

Thanks!

She was told that since she hears a little bit with her phone at full volume, (that's what she normally does although it is difficult for me to get understood as she is profoundly deaf), she doesn't need interpretor services or Sorenson in order to communicate. Her reasoning was that she needed it to sign with her deaf friends who could not use a phone but Sorenson said that wasn't enough reason for the device.

She was told that since she hears a little bit with her phone at full volume, (that's what she normally does although it is difficult for me to get understood as she is profoundly deaf), she doesn't need interpretor services or Sorenson in order to communicate. Her reasoning was that she needed it to sign with her deaf friends who could not use a phone but Sorenson said that wasn't enough reason for the device.

VRS is who need a communicate with interpreter/sign. Lot of the time like your friend and other people doesn't need interpreter. What the point that need sign one of videophone and think that Sorenson should provide one?

Have she try get the webcam and use that as communicate to sign up the ZVRS or other than Sorenson because they doesn't require verified that much.

VRS is not only for profoundly deaf. VRS also services hard of hearing.

ZVRS will be very happy to assist.

I'm not sure why Sorenson would deny your girlfriend a videophone, as she does sign and is hard of hearing.

VRS is who need a communicate with interpreter/sign. Lot of the time like your friend and other people doesn't need interpreter. What the point that need sign one of videophone and think that Sorenson should provide one?

Have she try get the webcam and use that as communicate to sign up the ZVRS or other than Sorenson because they doesn't require verified that much.

ZVRS does have a $10/month hearing product that allows hearing customers to dial other deaf videophones. As it is not paid for by TRS funds, and the number is not put into the iTRS database, it is perfectly above-board and legal.

Service Plans

As for "doesn't require verified that much", I'm not sure what you're suggesting. ZVRS, and every other VRS provider for that matter, strives to ensure that VRS customers are deaf or hard of hearing.

How does Sorenson do more to ensure this?

Also, why is Sorenson denying a VRS videophone for someone who is hard of hearing, as is alleged (not by me) in this forum thread?

That is the reason why I asked. I'm surprised that Sorenson refuse to offer VP. But really from my personal experiences, I see lot of inconsistency in term of rules or policy. I known one person got VP but not fluent enough to sign and her reception skills are not that great. That was long time ago. So, then I realize, it's all depend on installer's "tolerance", some installers interpreted that she's not deaf enough, some installers are too soft to turn it down and decided to go ahead give a person VP. You know? Some installers are big "D" or "d" and so on. So, the outcome is unpredictable. But from your end, you stated that she doesn't need interpreter so for that reason yeah she doesn't need VP. So there are many other way she can communicate with deaf person by using Skype, Tango, or iMac with 3rd party software, or can use WebVP. There are many way to get around to it.
My father can't hear well with phone and he had to turn it up on speakerphone. So for me to communicate with him, I use skype so that way I can read his lips and hear him at the same time. That helped a lot.

Back