Calling all Toronto folks!

one pure luck. only one.

when there are hundreds.... or thousands of deafies cannot find jobs and share a similar pattern.... then there is something wrong. that's an epidemic problem in Toronto.

yes many other in similar situations can and do find other job..... in LABOR job! how is it that college graduates end up doing menial low-paying jobs? clearly something wrong in Toronto. I don't think you understand how truly awful it is for deaf people living in Ontario Province. I've stayed there long enough to see and understand that it's definitely not deaf-friendly. Many of them have graduated from Gally and RIT. They reminisce about how wonderful it is to live in America as a deaf person. a fully-functional independent deaf person.

I was pretty helpless in Toronto and I was very limited in what I can do to do what I want because of lack of accessibility, VRS, deaf support, etc. It's terrible. very backward. It reminds me of my 1980's. Many deafies had to depend on hearing people (family member, friend, etc) to make arrangement such as doctor appointment, information, etc. It sucks.

Deafies in British Columbia provinces are fortunate. Ontario deafies? no.

the point you fail to see is that deafies should not have much much harder time than hearing people in finding jobs.

Actually Deafies in BC aren't that fortunate either...... They really for some reason have really pushed inclusion in the mainstream as an answer to job issues........ It's like the people in charge of educating kids with disabilities still think it's innovative to educate them in the mainstream......they think there's a lot of middle class semi skilled jobs out there, and that dhh folks just need to pull on their bootstraps. to get a really skilled middle class job..... About the only positive part of Canada for dhh kids is that HA and CI are covered.

I really don't believe it was the government and the hearies who fought for all the services you US deafies have, were they?
I am prone to believe it was the deaf people themselves who stood united and pushed for all the necessary changes in legislation, laws etc that resulted eventually in ADA, caption services, VRS, Gallaudet, ASL services and so on.
Anti-discrimination laws against disabled that include deaf (which Canada have, too).

So what is stopping Canada deaf from achieving the same level of services as are available in US?
maybe, because it is easier to run to work aboard and complain "oh, we have such a shitty life in Canada", hmm??
Well, if you want more, then do something about it instead of complaining and criticizing.

Fuzzy

And completely off subject..

Anywho now I'm looking for Vegas peeps.

My friend really wants to connect with other Deaf in the States

You should start a new thread, then. not even because this one got derailed (sorry),
simply because this one is asking for Toronto.

people who doesn't read this won't look here, so how would they even know about Vegas?

Fuzzy

I really don't believe it was the government and the hearies who fought for all the services you US deafies have, were they?
I am prone to believe it was the deaf people themselves who stood united and pushed for all the necessary changes in legislation, laws etc that resulted eventually in ADA, caption services, VRS, Gallaudet, ASL services and so on.
Anti-discrimination laws against disabled that include deaf (which Canada have, too).

So what is stopping Canada deaf from achieving the same level of services as are available in US?
maybe, because it is easier to run to work aboard and complain "oh, we have such a shitty life in Canada", hmm??
Well, if you want more, then do something about it instead of complaining and criticizing.

Fuzzy
Don't be so sure of things in a country that isn't your own. Look up Senator Harkin and the ADA.

Senator Harkin brother lost his hearing at young age- no wonder he was pro-deaf, need I say more?

Fuzzy

Senator Harkin brother lost his hearing at young age- no wonder he was pro-deaf, need I say more?

Fuzzy
No you don't. Let s let Senator Harkin say it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BomPo6fPOOo[/ame]

You should start a new thread, then. not even because this one got derailed (sorry),

people who doesn't read this won't look here, so how would they even know about Vegas?

Fuzzy[/QUOTE

Already did as well as start one for California

No one is interested so I give up.

We shall go on our merry way then back to Australia where deafies do catch up with one another :)

Fuzzy[/QUOTE

Already did as well as start one for California

No one is interested so I give up.

We shall go on our merry way then back to Australia where deafies do catch up with one another :)

I am sorry about that. perhaps better luck next time, and have a safe trip! ..

:wave:
Fuzzy

Actually Deafies in BC aren't that fortunate either...... They really for some reason have really pushed inclusion in the mainstream as an answer to job issues........ It's like the people in charge of educating kids with disabilities still think it's innovative to educate them in the mainstream......they think there's a lot of middle class semi skilled jobs out there, and that dhh folks just need to pull on their bootstraps. to get a really skilled middle class job..... About the only positive part of Canada for dhh kids is that HA and CI are covered.

that's beside the point. deafies in BC do have VRS. that's all.

And completely off subject..

Anywho now I'm looking for Vegas peeps.

My friend really wants to connect with other Deaf in the States

aw shuck. I would hook you up with my Vegas friend but she just left for Europe and she'll be gone for a while.

Back