Calling all Toronto folks!

Kalima01

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm visiting Toronto with my Deaf friend from Australia. We will be leaving Thurs morning but would anyone like to catch up in the mean time??

My friend is keen to connect with Deafies in Canada and US.

We plan on visiting Signs Restaurant (again) Wednesday n8ght, if anyone would like to join us, otherwise we can meet up for a drink or lunch somewhere :)

Let me know!!!

Come on, Canuck people !!!!

They say Canadians are nice, polite folks, do show it's true! show the spirit!
who is going to show up today!!! it's not too late!!

Fuzzy

I know lot of Toronto deaf folks but most of them aren't in AD. and they lives all over. It's not like NYC.

You mean, in NYC they all live in the same place?

NYC is one big island with easily accessible subways and we can stay out very late. most deafies live in Queens and Brooklyn.

Toronto.... nope. everybody's all spread out... mostly outside Toronto. mass transit system sux and everything closes "early" - by NYC standard lol. everybody has their own small groups and they don't all come meet together much..... and most of them either do not have jobs or have low-paying jobs so they don't come out often.

in NYC... yea we all meet together bunch of times. very easy. I just got back from skiing trip last weekend. we hosted it and there were over 40 people. we do this couple times a year. Toronto? nope. never..... at least to the best of my knowledge. MayFest doesn't count.

I had lived on Manitoulin Island in Ontario but never live in Toronto or Ottawa the biggest cities. I am more of a country woman.

What about DrPhil who is living in Toronto? He is old. That is why we need to wait and then someone from Toronto will come on this post to answer the question for her. It take time to come here. Just be patient. :)

I had lived on Manitoulin Island in Ontario but never live in Toronto or Ottawa the biggest cities. I am more of a country woman.

What about DrPhil who is living in Toronto? He is old. That is why we need to wait and then someone from Toronto will come on this post to answer the question for her. It take time to come here. Just be patient. :)

Yeah but DrPhil is more late deafened.......I think the OP was looking more for dhh as kids dhh, or dhh who Sign and identify as Deaf.

B/c Canada really doesn't care at ALL about the education of dhh kids.......Most of the mainstreamed kids are dumped into life skills classes in high school...

I live in Canada and that's not true - we have some Deaf schools, but our population is a lot smaller than the US so there are many less Deaf and HOH people, so there aren't as many programs. However there are many services for individuals to help with their education and everyday life. I have a note taker in my college classes. I only met one other Deaf person but we have nothing in common otherwise so we don't hang out.

interesting... how come??

Fuzzy

1. nobody wants to hire deafies
2. everything is expensive in Toronto
3. there's no VRS in Ontario province... meaning they won't be able to get a job since most jobs require phone interviews. stupid, right?

Yeah but DrPhil is more late deafened.......I think the OP was looking more for dhh as kids dhh, or dhh who Sign and identify as Deaf.

Actually I don't care. As long as they are a sign user. It's mostly for my friend who is Deaf (me? I'm a hearie studying to be an interpreter)

Doesn't matter now as we're no longer in Toronto now - in Orlando, but I'm not going to bother to try and organise if any deaf in the area.

Actually I don't care. As long as they are a sign user. It's mostly for my friend who is Deaf (me? I'm a hearie studying to be an interpreter)

Doesn't matter now as we're no longer in Toronto now - in Orlando, but I'm not going to bother to try and organise if any deaf in the area.

Orlando? much easier to meet deafies!

1. nobody wants to hire deafies
2. everything is expensive in Toronto
3. there's no VRS in Ontario province... meaning they won't be able to get a job since most jobs require phone interviews. stupid, right?

1. And yet the SIGNS restaurant is in Toronto lololol

2. comparable to NYC or everywhere desirable like LA, SF,
certainly cheaper than Vancouver.
don't believe what they write in these "most expensive, etc because they mix and match from the extreme ends (cheapest to most expensive) and come up with an average price, which does not reflect what's truly on the market, i.e what part of city - good, bad, average, downtown, suburb etc)

3. that I don't know, don't use it. but I wouldn't be surprised if Canada is behind these services, it's true we are behind US in most gadgets available to you guys.
it piss me off but what can I do. but that shouldn't be the reason to not have an interview.
there is still a good old "hi, please come in" appmnt type interview.

bottom line- you WANT to work - you will.

Fuzzy

1. And yet the SIGNS restaurant is in Toronto lololol

2. comparable to NYC or everywhere desirable like LA, SF,
certainly cheaper than Vancouver.
don't believe what they write in these "most expensive, etc because they mix and match from the extreme ends (cheapest to most expensive) and come up with an average price, which does not reflect what's truly on the market, i.e what part of city - good, bad, average, downtown, suburb etc)

3. that I don't know, don't use it. but I wouldn't be surprised if Canada is behind these services, it's true we are behind US in most gadgets available to you guys.
it piss me off but what can I do. but that shouldn't be the reason to not have an interview.
there is still a good old "hi, please come in" appmnt type interview.

bottom line- you WANT to work - you will.

Fuzzy

1. SIGNS is pretty expensive. that's why not many deafies eat there. ironic, right? Canadian deafies have told me that it's much easier for them to find a job in America. oh well.

3. Not the whole Canada.... Ontario province is behind. The government ran out of fund for VRS service but they recently passed the budget so they will have VRS back later this year. British Columbia province does have VRS service.

Jiro;2388545]1. SIGNS is pretty expensive. that's why not many deafies eat there. ironic, right? Canadian deafies have told me that it's much easier for them to find a job in America. oh well.

1. About SIGNS - I thought you were talking about HIRING deafies, not deafies eating out?
btw, all the more kudos to Toronto Signs for hiring deafies at such expensive restaurant :)

2. Perhaps these deafies you know are not trying hard enough, I don't know?
perhaps they are happy to live in US regardless of job issue and would like to move there anyway, even if they were offered jobs in Canada?

I know one thing for sure - you shouldn't base your opinion on the words of bunch of folks, otherwise just a few in a sea of many,
and, you know best what's going on at any given country if you LIVE there.
I had people from Europe telling me how to make money in Canada.
I just laughed.
They thought they expertly knew Canadian realities while sitting in their European homes. better than me, living in BC, anyway. LOL :)

Fuzzy

Back