California high court set to rule on same-sex marriage case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shel, well better not go to Bob Jones University. Until recently they had a prohibition against interracial dating.

wow, whoa... I don't know that.

It should be discriminate against race.

They don't think it is a sin, they think it is wise not to. That God hinted separation at the tower of Babel (and other places in the bible). it is not a sin because the bible have allowed interracial marriage. but hey, that what my southern friends tell me (I am from the south)

Of course, native indians do not want to see their race die out either. And if they spoke against marrying someone outside of their race, I have nothing against that.

but anyway, the point was that the south never did change their mind as deafD believe they did. They just won't tell you how they really feel.
The people in the South have loosened up some as it seemed. Maybe not that loosened up like the majority of people in Miami-Dade, Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans and Fort Lauderdale.

Yes. Didn't Jesus Himself say "Judge ye that ye not be judged?"
I've posted my reply to that exact same question several times, in several threads.

Matthew 7
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

It means that a person shouldn't judge another without first judging one's own sins. But note the verse says, "...first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

Also:

Luke 6
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

It means that if you do judge, you can expect to be judged with the same standard, and then some.

Reba, how do you know What God Wants?
He tells us in His Word.

NOBODY knows What God Wants.
Not true.

We as humans can only understand the concept of God. We cannot understand His Mysteries.
Matthew 13
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He [Jesus] answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Luke 8
10 And he [Jesus] said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Heck, sixty or seventy years ago, members of your church might have believed that God wanted the races to be segregated (and that was a very common belief in Baptist churches in the South) Sixty or seventy years ago, it was a common belief that the Jewish people were automaticly hellbound.
And besides, what makes YOUR theological beliefs any more right then someone who's a member of another church?
Getting off track here.

My beliefs aren't specific to my church membership.

In ten or twenty years your churches views on homosexuality may change.
I pray to God that they don't but if they do, I'll have to leave my church. God's Word isn't dependent of individual churches.

I pray that in ten or twenty years more people will be saved out of the bondage of homosexuality.

some still teach against irracial marriage... and I am part native indian and some native indian teach that as well (population issues)
My church does NOT preach against interracial marriage. We have church members and missionary couples who have interracial marriages.

I am in an interracial marriage and anyone who tells me that I am committing a sin, I will let them have it!
Interracial marriage is not a sin.

My church does NOT preach against interracial marriage. We have church members and missionary couples who have interracial marriages.

Just saying some do. The ones I know do. They may have loosened up on laws and letting people have their way (just like what is happening to gay marriage), but they haven't changed their views.

Interracial marriage is not a sin.

That was what I thought but never know with some people. They could take it and call it as sin.

I've posted my reply to that exact same question several times, in several threads.

Matthew 7
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

It means that a person shouldn't judge another without first judging one's own sins. But note the verse says, "...first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

Also:

Luke 6
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

It means that if you do judge, you can expect to be judged with the same standard, and then some.

He tells us in His Word.

Not true.

Matthew 13
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He [Jesus] answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Luke 8
10 And he [Jesus] said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Getting off track here.

My beliefs aren't specific to my church membership.

I pray to God that they don't but if they do, I'll have to leave my church. God's Word isn't dependent of individual churches.

I pray that in ten or twenty years more people will be saved out of the bondage of homosexuality.

But not all homosexuals engage in bondage....and some heterosexuals do, too.:giggle:

Ah, geez . . . this thread might be thrown into the locked Religion category when someone spouts off quotes from a religious (or "holy" if you wish) book (as happened with the Pope discussion).

Works like a charm . . . want to shut a thread down? Quote some religious texts . . .

pray to God that they don't but if they do, I'll have to leave my church. God's Word isn't dependent of individual churches.

Reba, it is going to happen. A hundred years ago it was mainstream Christian theology to be anti-Semetic, to think that blacks were lesser then whites, and many other beleifs that people now think of as being Christian Idenity/KKK.
Heck, a MAINSTREAM Christian church is now actively fighting for gay rights!
As a gay woman I find your hope for be to be saved from homosexuality VERY insulting. It would be like if someone came here and said that they were praying for an end to the bondage of hearing loss.
Yes, there are very stereotypical dumbass GLB folks who are "OMG being sexee and messing with our straightlaced society's mores on sex, is so empowering. Yes, there are gay people who visit bathhouses. But there are MORE straight people who visit massage parlors or the "ranches" out in Nevada.
Perhaps, YOU will realize that maybe GOD doesn't see it as a sin. I mean just the fact that mainline christian churches are debating whether or not its a sin, PROVES that it's still not 100% clear whether or not its a sin.

Oh, and Reba how would YOU feel if you lived in a country where Christians could not get married just b/c of the beliefs of some random church? What if you were being robbed of your civil rights, just b/c of some religious belief?

When a couple applies for a marriage license, they submit an application to the Government and then (if the couple wishes), publically and ceremoniously, demonstrates their commitment.

Now, there is bickering as to what that couple should be. Two consenting adults, with great love and admiration for each other, is not enough. This bickering is loveless.

Why would an entire community want to model its relationship on relationships that result in a HUGE divorce rate? One reason: reasonable rights.

When someone, who has been devoted to the welfare of another consenting adult, is denied access to the partner at the hospital.

When someone, who has been side by side for 30 years, is denied the same pension, benefits, and consideration as another couple.

When someone is denied a deceased partner's estate (half or more than half that could have been financed by him/her).

When someone is treated like a second class citizen.

THE JIG IS UP: Religion nor fear are acceptable reasons to refuse honest, committed declarations of love between consenting adults.

Mod Note:

This thread is becoming a religious debate.

Moved to proper location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back