California Bill AB 2027

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babyblue got a good point. If we started discussing and debating, the same thing that has happened in the other threads will happen again.

Practically everyone knows where I stand so no point in repeating myself.

Babyblue got a good point. If we started discussing and debating, the same thing that has happened in the other threads will happen again.

Practically everyone knows where I stand so no point in repeating myself.

Agreed. And why I haven't bothered to comment. Anyone who knows me knows what my view would be.

No need to comment, the immortality of ASL speaks for itself. ;)

No need to comment, the immortality of ASL speaks for itself. ;)

This comment doen't even make sense....
The bill is about providing parents with information, ALL information. That includes ASL.

I've had the wonderful chance to meet Carl Schroeder yesterday at Mayfest. It was wonderful discussing with him about ASL and I was so honoured he asked me to lecture at PSU about DeafBlindhood.

[yt]nm8bgYnjXtg[/yt]

I've had the wonderful chance to meet Carl Schroeder yesterday at Mayfest. It was wonderful discussing with him about ASL and I was so honoured he asked me to lecture at PSU about DeafBlindhood.

[yt]nm8bgYnjXtg[/yt]

Carl rocks, living on hawaii and giving us great thoughts, lucky bastard :)

[yt]nm8bgYnjXtg[/yt]

Mrs Bucket, thank you so much for posting this video of you and carl. I was wondering about you guys there that i didnt make it. It made me smile seeing you guys met for the first time. I agree what you both talk about getting together to grow and make this deaf community become stronger and show how much we do cherish our home deaf community. no one can't get in our way. so thanks mrs bucket. i suppose mr bucket did a good job on video too. =)

One of the links provided in the op have only minor changes that appear from my pov to be good changes. I will read the other link but so far I don't see what the fuss is about. Maybe I have missed something.

EDIT: I read the other link which appears to be the informational packet and I suppose I can see where some of the presentation might be construed as bias. Even though ASL and Bi-Bi are mentioned, I did not see any mention of Deaf culture and the CI option is first and foremost with almost an entire page dedicated to it.

AB 2072is fatally flawed 3 ways:

Fatal Flaw #1 The Bill’s over emphasis on communication options which implies that parents should pick only one option. Parents should not be forced to say no to any opportunity. Picking one option over another would only rob the child of the ability and opportunity for full language acquisition. Remember that In order for a child to learn to communicate, he or she must have a developed language foundation. That development comes from access to and consistent exposure to language. Metaphorically, when a parent is offered “soup or salad” they need to know that they can just say “YES”.

Fatal Flaw # 2: Audiologists are legislatively being put into a situation where they become the de facto first contact early intervention. Audiologists are trained to focus on the hearing, and a “fix it” approach. They cannot see, what parents need to see, that the result of a hearing test is not the result of an intelligence test. The vast majority of audiologists do not know the importance of a child becoming bilingual in English & ASL and the positive impact that can have future academic results. The vast majority of audiologists do not have early intervention training. The vast majority do not have a parents’ experience of raising a deaf or hard or hearing child. The vast majority have not accessed the experiences of Deaf adults which are, so to speak, the living end result of our system.

Fatal Flaw # 3: Eliminating the restriction on only consumer based organizations for support. Without this important restriction, early intervention is opened up to the forces of the business and specifically to those organizations that are associated with their products or services. This is a tragic mistake. Deaf and hard of hearing children should not be treated as a market to be exploited. They and their parents need to be serviced by those consumer based organizations whose concern is about the success and happiness of their children."
Check out DCARA for the full Bill and updates.
Please stop this horrble abuse towards the Deaf community. Say No to AB2072

First point of contact IS the audiologist, there is not a thing on earth that can be done about it.

Second, at least they will be forced to give information on ALL options not just the ones they prefer.

Third, they do talk about ASL English bilingualism, along with all the other options. Are you saying that it is the only appropriate choice?

The ones that are interested in it are debating it about it on YouTube, DeafRead, ASL Rocks, DVTV and so on.

The ones that ain't... don't go to the above.

The absence of debates of Bill AB 2027 should speak volume of the demographics of this website...

I think Berry brought it up once, and it sunk in piles of old topics.

Wirelessly posted

I would debate about it, but I would rather use other websites as my venues. :/

"Oil and water" you means, right? You got that mixed up with "you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar," I believe?

Anyway, that aside...

The Deaf community has already spoken. Check out some of Carl S. vblogs for some of the stuff he uncovered.

I can understand where you're coming from missbuckets, but the reason why I am not going to get involved in this topic on AllDeaf is because... well...

The ASL-world is much more dynamic than the written-world when it comes to AB2027; people discuss more often, and a lot more information is uncovered via the vblogs oppose to forums and blogs.

Wirelessly posted

Where did I say that?

In all these quoted posts.

Wirelessly posted

No mention of "true deaf." Only the content-type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back