Calculator is wrong!

deafdrummer

Reaction score
I wish I could upload the video to prove it, but something's wrong with the calculator I have.

I put in 1773 minus 360 to get 1413. Then I add 60.89 to 1413 to get negative 299.11!

I have repeated this 4 or 5 times, and am not getting errors with any other calculation!

I'll admit (snicker), I got this calculator for my graduation present 27 years ago! I believe that I changed the battery in it 3 times, maybe 4.

If I do a subtraction of 60.89, I get the correct answer of 1352.11

But now, it's working properly? I don't suppose we received a solar flare just now, as everything seems to be working, like the computer, hearing aids, phone, etc.

Pretty obvious that it is adding the 60.89 to minus 360. Might be a function button not working.

I wish I could upload the video to prove it, but something's wrong with the calculator I have.

I put in 1773 minus 360 to get 1413. Then I add 60.89 to 1413 to get negative 299.11!

I have repeated this 4 or 5 times, and am not getting errors with any other calculation!

I'll admit (snicker), I got this calculator for my graduation present 27 years ago! I believe that I changed the battery in it 3 times, maybe 4.

But now, it's working properly? I don't suppose we received a solar flare just now, as everything seems to be working, like the computer, hearing aids, phone, etc.

defective?

Sir this is tech support, we have located the problem, it is between the keyboard and the chair.

It may be the order in which you press the keys. Sometimes you need to press the + or - before the number you're adding/subtracting, sometimes you press the + or - after the number you're adding/subtracting.

It may be the order in which you press the keys. Sometimes you need to press the + or - before the number you're adding/subtracting, sometimes you press the + or - after the number you're adding/subtracting.

Duh!! Like I didn't know that (hand across opposite shoulder twice). I've had this thing for 27 years...

deafdrummer, time to get a new calculator. Technologies don't last forever. It is usually short like 5 to 10 years if you take care of the equipment. You are way over your years of 27. Anyway, what is wrong with having to put your figures on papers and do the adding so that you can verify the correct number without the calculator? :hmm: It is not that hard, eh?

deafdrummer, time to get a new calculator. Technologies don't last forever. It is usually short like 5 to 10 years if you take care of the equipment. You are way over your years of 27. Anyway, what is wrong with having to put your figures on papers and do the adding so that you can verify the correct number without the calculator? :hmm: It is not that hard, eh?

Right, but I have my phone as well. Besides, Dad gave it to me for my HS graduation, and it reminds me of him when I use it.

It's very classic calculator it's like a red or green digital led.. I had the calculator and I get an errors then I dumped the "Thick" calculator out that's why I found out very corroded PCB board.

Or the cell in a spreadsheet. I'm using that instead, to do a calculation in an unused cell off to the side. That way, I can double-check my numbers before hitting enter.

Back