Cable DVR caption problem

sporkman

Reaction score
I've had a motorola DVR box from my cable company for the past month. The box has two tuners so you could tape one show and watch a different show or tape two shows at once. Captioning worked fine on both tuners for the first 3 weeks. This past week the captioning on the second tuner stoped working. This is the tuner that is used to tape shows, so anything I tape doesn't have captioning. I called my cable company and they don't have any answers yet. When they turned on captioning on thier TV they saw the same thing, captioning works on one tuner but not the other.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Perhaps, it is recording one thing but not another. One of my professors explained this with computer media files. There are multiple layers and some players are unable to play those layers because of their limit. There's usually video and sound layers. Each use memory. If you created a video and left out the sound layer, you would have a good-sized video file. If you included the sound layer, the size would be bigger. Now, the next layer that some players have is the subtitles/text layer. If a video has a subtitles layer, it will show up in that player.

As for your situation, it might be because the recorder only records a limit of video and sound... not subtitles/text. That might be a problem. :dunno:

sporkman said:
I've had a motorola DVR box from my cable company for the past month. The box has two tuners so you could tape one show and watch a different show or tape two shows at once. Captioning worked fine on both tuners for the first 3 weeks. This past week the captioning on the second tuner stoped working. This is the tuner that is used to tape shows, so anything I tape doesn't have captioning. I called my cable company and they don't have any answers yet. When they turned on captioning on thier TV they saw the same thing, captioning works on one tuner but not the other.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

HI there,

I have Science Altanta Explorer 8300 digital cable DVR box. The 2 tuners only selected large screen for captionings, then PIP does not show captionings.. So you need switch between the PIP screen to large screen to see the captions, recording onto DVR hard drive then after all done you can watch a program from the DVR, captioning is there.. I copied into VHS tape, its work prefectly to see a captions..

Back