Buzzing?

Then possibly your external device may be malfunctioning. You might want to get that checked out.

Question - Did you get a second one as a spare? Try that one and see.

Why would it fail after only two weeks of using it? :)

Yes I have the second one, but no programs on it.

there is a combo t-coil/mic setting that could let you hear, while still picking up the sounds...... does the buzzing get LOUD if you go near a TV and get quieter if you step away?

I am all for having it checked out with your audie but it maybe because you are only a week past activation and at this stage, maps can be very rough and crude. I heard static, squealing and peeping in my first week or two. But it all went away with subsequent maps when the dynamic range improved and therefore quality improved. So it could be a sign that you need a new map already.

My sympathies are with you. The first few weeks are frustrating, annoying and worrying. I hope that it does just turn out to be nothing more than the crudeness of the map. However, seeing the audiologist may reassure you that there is nothing more serious such as failure etc. You don't want that stress.

:ty: THAT'S the answer I'm looking for. That's pretty much exactly what my boyfriend says (and he's hearing!). When the audiologist first activated me, she did not add all the other features that Freedom is famous for (Whisper, ADRO, Beam, Autosensitivty), and I could not use any of my external accessories. So, yes, that's it...the map is very crude. :ty:

Strange because the first week I didn't hear the buzzing...I am now thinking that because I'm hearing so much OTHER sounds (like the annoying people upstairs floors' creaking!). I've gotten used to it...until the strange buzzing.

I'm not frustrated or worried at all..strange sounds is to be expected (Hearing my cat poop ranks way up there). But the annoyance is there! :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Strange because the first week I didn't hear the buzzing...I am now thinking that because I'm hearing so much OTHER sounds (like the annoying people upstairs floors' creaking!). I've gotten used to it...until the strange buzzing.

If it is due to the crude map, then the reason that you are only just hearing this buzzing now is possibly because your auditory processing system (in the brain) has changed since the activation, due to the stimulation it's received. So something that sounded okay at the start of the map can then sound unacceptable a time later. The first 12 weeks post activation will see the fastest changes in the auditory part of your brain.

I agree with R2D2, I would get it checked out but in all probability it is probably your brain ready for more power :) The first couple of weeks I heard A LOT of buzzing/static/white noise sounds that all came in clearer with each successive mapping.

Think of it this way, you became activated and it shocked the little cochlea with electricity. At first, it didn't like it but as time went on, it got use to it to the vibration. If this sound vulgar, I don't mean for it to be but this is the only way I can explain it.

Now that you woken the damn thing up, it gets greedy and wants more power. If it doesn't get it right away, it punishes you for that by making things sound god awful. :) Its like a kid, gotta keep it happy :)

Right now, I'm ready for an adjustment for men. Men all of the sudden are very hard to understand, fuzzy. I need a gain applied somewhere for them.

Think of it this way, you became activated and it shocked the little cochlea with electricity. At first, it didn't like it but as time went on, it got use to it to the vibration. If this sound vulgar, I don't mean for it to be but this is the only way I can explain it.

Now that you woken the damn thing up, it gets greedy and wants more power. If it doesn't get it right away, it punishes you for that by making things sound god awful. :) Its like a kid, gotta keep it happy :)

I love how you describe things like that...the kinkier, the better! :giggle:

More power - kind of like Tim Taylor eh?

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward for my mapping this Friday. Maybe now I can use the damn iPod adapter!

I love how you describe things like that...the kinkier, the better! :giggle:

More power - kind of like Tim Taylor eh?

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward for my mapping this Friday. Maybe now I can use the damn iPod adapter!

LOL! You got the idea good! :) The second mappng was the one that I truly realized I appreciated the implant.

How the buzzing is now? Still there or getting better? I'm hearing constant white noise except when I'm in garage its quietest place in house lol I can't wait for 2nd mapping I need more all over frequency for program 1 to see if female voice sound better guy voice sound good on this program and for program 2 I'll ask to add more of low frequency to balance the high sound out and makes guy voice sound better and sound like voice not piano lol but my voice sound much better on program 2 lol so definately looking forward to 2nd mapping! (Its on 20th)

Hey!

Wow, you get your 2nd mapping quick! Yes, Buzzing went away. Now you know what I'm talking about! :-D Your dynamic range is probably small, (15 to 25), so there will be some lows and highs cut out. As you improve and do the training, then the dynamic range gets bigger, and you will have a much better overall frequency range. After my 2nd map, things started to sound more crisp, and male voices are "louder". :)

Back