Buying vehicle(s) with liens on title ?

At least I saved 20 bucks and gas/(wear n tear) cost on vehicle for not removing lien from my title. :-D

Registration already paid for last July and it is good until July 2015. They (DMV) simply gave me new windshield sticker with new vehicle information on it. Its done though DMV, anyone can do that same day, same time.

The only exception to this is that IF my new vehicle is heavier than previous vehicle, then I have to pay the difference on registration fee.

Give you idea.

Ford Sedan is the lightest, the registration fee for two years is about 65 dollars
Jeep Cherokee is somewhat heavier, the registration fee for two years is 75 dollars
Ford F-250 is heaviest, and the registration fee for two years is 120 dollars

Suppose I transfer registration from Cherokee to F-250, then I have to pay the difference which is 45 dollars if the registration expiration is more than a year, if less than a year left then $22.50. Since I transferred from Cherokee to Ford Sedan, DMV won't refund me the difference.

This can be done as long as the registration from previous vehicle has not expired.

Like I said in previous post, the registration fees are based on Vehicle curb Weight.

How did you register your car you just bought (Ford)?

Registration already paid for last July and it is good until July 2015. They (DMV) simply gave me new windshield sticker with new vehicle information on it. Its done though DMV, anyone can do that same day, same time.

The only exception to this is that IF my new vehicle is heavier than previous vehicle, then I have to pay the difference on registration fee.
OK, how did DMV know that you are the owner of Ford? By showing proof which is the title, right? Didn't DMV tell you that you have to pay $20 for a transfer fee in order to have your name on a new title? If not, that means DMV lets you to keep the old title with the lien on it and you are not required to get a new title with your name only, is that what you are saying?

Listen, make it simple do not complicate too much!

I bought my Ford from Joe, and Joe gave me his title with his signature that he sold to me and letter that Joe got from his bank, and he gave that to me. Two documents (Are you with me?) I brought both of these title and letter of lien release to DMV, and all is done, I pay sales tax, title transfer fee (Whether lien on it or none) and show the letter that the lien has been released. Oh I forgot, the proof of insurance coverage, I got it in just 20 minutes! The DMV printed out the registration sticker and gave to me and I went back to my home. That is it. New title with my name on it will be mailed to me, and there won't be any lien printed on it.
I sold my Cherokee and signed my old title that I sold to Jane Doe, and I gave her the release of lien from my bank. So that she can go to DMV and clear up the title without paying lien removal fee, but title transfer fee instead. Remember, title transfer fee is set fee regardless lien on it or not.

The only exception to this is that IF the lien is add to the new title then it is 50 dollars fee I think.

OK, how did DMV know that you are the owner of Ford? By showing proof which is the title, right? Didn't DMV tell you that you have to pay $20 for a transfer fee in order to have your name on a new title? If not, that means DMV lets you to keep the old title with the lien on it and you are not required to get a new title with your name only, is that what you are saying?

Listen, make it simple do not complicate too much!

I bought my Ford from Joe, and Joe gave me his title with his signature that he sold to me and letter that Joe got from his bank, and he gave that to me. Two documents (Are you with me?) I brought both of these title and letter of lien release to DMV, and all is done, I pay sales tax, title transfer fee (Whether lien on it or none) and show the letter that the lien has been released. The DMV printed out the registration sticker and gave to me and I went back to my home. That is it. New title with my name on it will be mailed to me, and there won't be any lien printed on it.
I am still lost!

You paid for a title transfer fee but in another post, you said "did I pay 20 dollars? Nope, nada zip nana whatever you understand." HOW MUCH did you pay for a transfer fee?

Why are you confuse with removal of lien fee and transfer fee? They both are NOT the same thing!

Title transfer fee:$75

Lien removal fee: $20

If title has lien on it, along with bank statement and transfer to buyer, then it is just damn 75 dollars for the buyer not me.

I would be stupid to pay 20 dollars to remove the lien from my title then sell to buyer, and the buyer would STILL pay 75 dollars (Of course not 95 dollars) for transfer of title. I didn't go that way, all I did was give the letter to the buyer that the lien has been released from my bank, that way I save 20 dollars.

I am still lost!

You paid for a title transfer fee but in another post, you said "did I pay 20 dollars? Nope, nada zip nana whatever you understand." HOW MUCH did you pay for a transfer fee?

Crazypaul, what is this thread about?

It is not about transfer fees,

it is about selling or buying car with title that shows Lien holder on it.

I have stick my topic to what to do with title that got lien on it. You, got off point and trying to discuss about transfer fees and other fees that are not direct related to this thread.

Why are you confuse with removal of lien fee and transfer fee? They both are NOT the same thing!

Title transfer fee:$75

Lien removal fee: $20

If title has lien on it, along with bank statement and transfer to buyer, then it is just damn 75 dollars for the buyer not me.

I would be stupid to pay 20 dollars to remove the lien from my title then sell to buyer, and the buyer would STILL pay 75 dollars (Of course not 95 dollars) for transfer of title. I didn't go that way, all I did was give the letter to the buyer that the lien has been released from my bank, that way I save 20 dollars.
Oh, I got it. In CA, to remove a lien from the title, a transfer fee is $15. It doesn't show a lien removal fee. However I am required to bring it to DMV within 10 days. It's different from NYS.

:) so wondering how much registration fee do you pay to DMV?

I asked my wife, she don't remember, its been years ago. She was from California.

Oh, I got it. In CA, to remove a lien from the title, a transfer fee is $15. It doesn't show a lien removal fee. However I am required to bring it to DMV within 10 days. It's different from NYS.

Interesting, California registration fee is based on value of the vehicle, here in NYS it is based on vehicle curb weight.

North Carolina, well they have registration fee which is cheap, but they do have annual property taxes on vehicle and it was rather expensive. I recall paid over 400 dollars for just a year on my old Mercury which is not worth much but to them they think it worth three times more. RME!

That's steep, my F-250 now worth about $20K, I paid 120 dollars for 2 years, in other word it is 60 dollars a year.

Back