Buying iPhone 4S/5 or Android - Best CapTel?

beachbum

Reaction score
I planned to purchase today an iPhone 4S with Virgin Mobile's $35/mo plan with 300 voice minutes, unlimited text & data.

I'm aware that Walmart is now selling iPhone 5 with tracfone's $45/mo unlimited everything.

I then recalled seeing ads for CapTel on smartphones. I thought iPhone 5 uses 4G which is faster than 3G and wondered if there is a definite CapTel performance improvement on iPhone 5 versus iPhone 4S. I postponed the 4S purchase to research this first.

I now see there is a Hamilton CapTel app for the iPhone. And Sprint CapTel for Android phones. Reviews seem better for Sprint CapTel.

Can Sprint CapTel work on iPhone now that Sprint is selling iPhones? It doesn't appear so according to Sprint CapTel's website.

I'm looking for a job so I want best possible CapTel performance for a mobile smartphone. I wear a CI & HA.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I planned to purchase today an iPhone 4S with Virgin Mobile's $35/mo plan with 300 voice minutes, unlimited text & data.

I'm aware that Walmart is now selling iPhone 5 with tracfone's $45/mo unlimited everything.

I then recalled seeing ads for CapTel on smartphones. I thought iPhone 5 uses 4G which is faster than 3G and wondered if there is a definite CapTel performance improvement on iPhone 5 versus iPhone 4S. I postponed the 4S purchase to research this first.

I now see there is a Hamilton CapTel app for the iPhone. And Sprint CapTel for Android phones. Reviews seem better for Sprint CapTel.

Can Sprint CapTel work on iPhone now that Sprint is selling iPhones? It doesn't appear so according to Sprint CapTel's website.

I'm looking for a job so I want best possible CapTel performance for a mobile smartphone. I wear a CI & HA.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I will try to keep this in the same order that you brought up things in your post.

I know nothing about the quality of service from Virgin Mobile.

I have not used Straight Talk or Net 10 which I understand to be the two parts of America Movil which is also the parent company of TracFone that offer the $45 cards with smartphones. But . . .they are known for throttling and/or cut off with the use of 2GB of data per month. You might want to check some of the discussion on this site: Straight Talk

You can ONLY get 4G reception if you are in an area where your carrier (ATT, Verizon, Virgin, etc.) has that service. So, if they only have 3G (or even less) that is what you will get even if your phone is capable of receiving the higher speed.

The last I saw Hamilton has an app for both iPhone and Android. But. . . you need a phone and a service that is capable of receiving BOTH voice and data at the same time. My understanding is that you thus need 3G service from a GSM based carrier that offers the voice/data combination. Or 4G from a CDMA carrier such as Verizon or one of their MVNOs and a 4G phone.

Sprint's Wireless CapTel by Sprint does run on Android phones with version 2.2 of that OS and higher. It does not have to be on Sprint! I have it on a Droid 2 and a Droid Pro both on PagePlus which is a Verizon MVNO. You do need to be in an area that has 3G service. It uses a form of VOIP to pickup your side of the conversion.

I am assuming that you know that to use any of the CapTel services you do need to be able to speak.

Good luck at finding what fits YOU!

Hi, for the Android phone I would go with the Sprint. I had the Hamilton Captel & it was really inaccurate on the captions. It was really bad on the data network cutting out & dropping calls, & so so on the WiFi network. However Sprint did work pretty good on the network, but even better on a WiFi network. Sprint was a lot more accurate too. Good luck!

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Back